Home Off Topic

Muscovy duck

FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
The recipe came up in the Coyote thread and it sounded good! Have any of you ate one? Curious to know how they compare to other ducks.

Replies

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,957 AG
    Tastes like coyote.
    Warning Level 2
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    SAENole wrote: »
    Tastes like coyote.

:rotflmao I just read the regs on them. They're open all year, no permit required! Open season wooooo hooooooo :USA
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,274 Moderator
    Heard they were Ok.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Has to be one of the dumbest creatures on Earth.

I had a line of about half a dozen walk out in front of my truck yesterday afternoon after picking my daughter up from school. She scolded me for referring to them as "stupid ducks" and then I reminded her of the one her mother smashed several years ago.

She thought that was a pretty cool story.
    Warning Level 2
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,892 Admin
    One ugly and disgusting animal.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,664 Admiral
    Yes, they are good, we enjoy them
    I raise them, the eggs are great for baking and the meat is tasty
    Here in MS they go for $15 each for drakes and 20-25 for hens
    I also raise Pekin and Cayuga Duck
    as well as turkeys, quail and 6 different breeds of chickens
  • Mango TangoMango Tango Posts: 2,019 Captain
    Griz wrote: »
    One ugly and disgusting animal.

They are ugly but a little research indicates Muscovy duck meat is quite popular at many high end restaurants.

Cost: males typically dress out about 8# @ $7 a pound so a a single duck will fetch $35. The meat contains about 50 percent less fat but retains the flavor which makes it a preferred choice compared to other ducks.

I guess we better keep this a secret. At $35 a pop our homeless population would go nuts.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 400 Deckhand
    I raised them for a few years. The meat is pretty tasty, and the eggs are great for baking cakes 'n' cornbread and other baked stuff that uses eggs. They can be pretty aggravating to raise, though. They're always under foot mooching a handout.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,085 Admiral
    Harvested a stray Muscovy duck many years ago. It was so tough you could not eat it. The dog wound up with it and did not seem grateful at all.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    I stopped shooting ducks, geese and pheasants years ago because I just didn't enjoy the taste...

...a friend then took me skeet shooting...and they were worse...:)
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,741 Captain
    If you've ever had the crispy duck at any restaurant, you've eaten Muscovy my friend. Without a shadow of a doubt.
    "Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    As a kid in Ft Lauderdale and living on the Tarpon River, we were plagued by them. They would chit all over the dock and seawall.

About once a month or so my brother and I would catch a few in the back yard, using a cast net. My father would put in burlap sacks and take out to one of his employees (a black gentleman who lived in Colored Town). He would cage and fatten them up on corn to remove all the brackish water residues and tastes -- then fed to his extended family.

My father would never accept one in payment since they created such a bad image at our house. Ditto for the squirrels.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Fort Wilderness at Disney has them on the menu.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,314 Admiral
    We just got some new hatchlings in our back yard this week. :dance We feed them some bread now and then.

You could drive through the Publix parking lot here and make a fortune.

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,664 Admiral
    Griz wrote: »
    You could drive through the Publix parking lot here and make a fortune.

scoop them up and bring them this way the auction is 2nd sat of the month,
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    When you order duck in a restaurant, that's what you get.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer

I am really surprised, never considered eating one. And I eat a lot of odd food, those suckers are all over the place but seem rather dirty. But then again so are pigs and I luv pork and bacon. :shrug
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Muscovy ducks are the only living creatures that can out-poop Polar.
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    Would like to get a dozen or so for the pond...
    Would like to get a dozen or so for the pond...

They breed like humans with EBT cards; should be easy to find.
    Warning Level 2
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,305 Admiral
    surfman wrote: »
    When you order duck in a restaurant, that's what you get.

Not usually..... Rarely in fact.....

I sell a LOT of duck... MOST duck available commercially... In grocery stores, restaurants etc...are White Pekin as well as crosses of such and similar variants.... Muscovy is RARE in the meat industry.... It IS available, but it is pricey....

Duck is not a huge item for me... Maybe 10k pounds a month in the summer.... Around 25k pounds or so in the winter.... I sell Muscovy but it is a tiny fraction of what I sell. Muscovy is More expensive ( which has always baffled me) But it is an availability thing... MOST Muscovy goes into Asian Markets... By that I do NOT mean Asian venues serving Caucasians... But Asian markets serving Asian customers.
  • ByFlyByFly Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Wow, JohnnyBandit. Had no idea you were in that industry. Great!

I need to ask our Association President where all the Muscovy"s went. Haven't seen one in months. Not planning on harvesting one though. Could be a way they are building the Association fund.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I always thought a Muscovy duck was a domesticated duck and therefor used for that purpose but, I have never researched it either. My bad.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,314 Admiral
    We had 5 ducklings in our backyard, now only three :angel
  • 12bhunting12bhunting Posts: 291 Deckhand
    I had one show up last year. He was fine until he started crapping on every piece of equipment in the barn. He now sleeps with the fishes. Which according to tarponator will now lead to the extinction of the muscovy duck...
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    We have a couple that waddle around in this condo development with a few lakes.

They seem quite wary and keep their distance from most humans.

Some NuYawk-type apparently thinks they are an attraction and feeds them it appears.

Waiting for one of them to get into the community pool and then see how long they last.

:wink

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,312 Admiral
    There used to be tons of them in a certain Ft. Lauderdale neighborhood.

Then a bunch of Haitians moved in. I don't think the ducks liked them because pretty soon there were no ducks running around loose. I wonder where those ducks moved to?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Gardawg wrote: »

Then a bunch of Haitians moved in. I don't think the ducks liked them because pretty soon there were no ducks running around loose. I wonder where those ducks moved to?

Funny you mention that. After this thread started I realized I haven't seen as many lately. Haven't seen any at Publix latley either. Maybe they are being harvested.

• LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Sure it wasn't due to your beloved climate change? :rotflmao
    Gardawg wrote: »

Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`