Visiting Tampa St Pete 12/3-12-7

I grew up in SE FL, graduated from UF, even lived a few months in the Tampa Bay area 20+ years ago, and will be returning for a few days to visit my father in the hospital. I'm staying near Clearwater but will be spending time with him in Tampa every day. I'm planning on bringing the basics, a couple of light spinning outfits, 8wt fly rod (floating line), box of Clouser Minnows, some 20-25lb flourocarbon a few Zara Spooks, some DOA shrimp rigs, etc. Obviously can pick up additional lures if anyone has suggestions?

What I am hoping is that someone can suggest or recommend safe shore or wading (I'll have some neoprene flats booties) spots that will give me some opportunities for ladyfish, trout, mackerel, reds, snook, or anything else on artificials or flies? I may only have an hour or two at a time so unfortunately that won't allow for me to do much scouting on my own. Would the shallows near the boat launch on Courtney Campbell Causeway be a good spot to start? Or should I try and get down to Ft De Soto?

Help would be greatly appreciated as it appears that the places I used to gain shore access in the early 90's are all developed and private. I won't spot-burn. Private messages (PM's) are welcome.

Tight lines and thanks!

Replies

• AnchorDropsAnchorDrops Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Thanks to those that sent PM's. The Tampa Bay tide cycle has most of the daylight hours in skinny water (falling in the morning, rising late in the day) so we'll see what happens?
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Skinny and windy today...tough conditions...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • AnchorDropsAnchorDrops Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Finally made it out yesterday for an hour or so, jumped off a snook right at my feet on my first cast then it was and endless parade of puffers and lizardfish on Clouser Minnows. The wind was indeed brutal and a long belly steelhead taper flyline is not the best for these conditions. I should change my new username to "Captain Trash" as well, surprised I didn't catch a catfish.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Talking about trash...

I saw a big reddish "blob" moving towards the back of the boat and made a long shot to drop the fly about 8' ahead of it...let it sink...tic tic tic...felt weight...strip strike! My first thought was "if this is a red, its a monster!" My buddy on the poling platform laughs, "Nice job snagging that ray..."

So yeah...I caught trash as well. Only in my cause I wanted my fly back and had to get him to the boat and pop him off without getting spined. At least he put a nice bend in the 8wt...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod