11/29 negative low to extreme high

After looking at the weather this morning I almost went speck fishing but decided it had been too long since I'd been on the flats so I headed out at around 8 and was on the water after 9. The tide was was pretty low and still going out and my first spot didn't pay off. I started working creeks with very little water and after 2 hours or so of no bites I was beginning to wonder if I wasn't going to get skunked. The tide really took it's time showing up but once I got some water the reds started to bite. They were in that dense grass that kinda looks like kelp. I'm not sure what it's called but it sure is a pain and always fouls the trolling motor. Anyway, I plucked 3 out of the stuff and established a pattern. By then there was a ton of water so I worked way up into the creek to a spot Anna had caught a really nice fish a few weeks ago. Basically it's as far up in the creek as one might reasonably get where it's rocky. I landed a nice fish in there which I photo'd and released. The tide was getting really high now so I decided I'd explore some new water. I'd explored this area a lot on the low tide without much luck but never on a high tide, so I decided I'd work creeks as far as I could get up in them. I started near an area I knew had likely structure. I was able to get much further up in this one than I'd ever been and it paid off in a big way. The structure and rock in there was incredible, with swiss cheese oyster covered rock everywhere and it was holding fish. It was so skinny you couldn't throw any bait but topwater. I fished until I ran out of water which was a bummer because I could see so much awesome water ahead of me but I didn't want to push my luck. I explored another creek with similar results and headed out around 5. I'd guess I boated at least a dozen good reds with the biggest at 30 inches and lost at least half a dozen. All of the fish but two were caught on topwater.

i10cfFrl.jpg

CoxWoQol.jpg

LkuaWhgl.jpg

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,192 Captain
    Fishin on a Tuesday, nice. Thanks for the report. The grass you mentioned sounds like rock grass. I love seeing that stuff, pulled a lot of trout and reds off of it. Only grows on rocks
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    Yeah I was out of town at Capt Josh's wedding all weekend so I took the day off to relax and recouperate! Considering it was Tuesday there were still a bunch of trailers in the lot!
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,721 Captain
    Good trip! :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,131 Moderator
    I love seeing reds slurp a topwater ! Neat trip.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Quad32xQuad32x Anthony , FloridaPosts: 253 Deckhand
    Sounds like a ton of fun !
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,578 Captain
    I call it kelp.
    Good job of hunting for the reds. That sounds like a beautiful area.
    I believe rock grass is a type of sargassum
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,541 Captain
    It's some type of brown algae, but not in the sargassum family.

I've been trying to key that stuff out for a long time without success. I've heard it called both rock grass and rock kelp. But it's not in the kelp family either.

One interesting thing about the stuff is that it can show you where the area of highest current is located in a pass or cut between islands. In addition to needed a hard surface for attachment, it needs a good current in order to push the stems over to allow maximum exposure to sunlight. You rarely find it growing in still areas.

It provides good cover for gamefish that utilize it to ambush prey when the current is running. It dies off over the winter, so they use it mostly in the fall when it grows into lush mats.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,021 Captain
    Nice reds. Also nice discussion on the grass Dr.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    Awesome trip!!:thumbsup
    Grasshopper

I've been trying to key that stuff out for a long time without success. I've heard it called both rock grass and rock kelp. But it's not in the kelp family

How sure of that are you? I have from a pretty good source it is in the sargassum family. And it looks extremely similar to sargassum

Sorry to derail Jim
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,541 Captain
    Well, I used to think that it was S. filipendula Agarth. But the stuff I'm seeing doesn't have air bladders.

Don't worry about the derail. Jim loves this stuff. :wink

I've been trying to key that stuff out for a long time without success. I've heard it called both rock grass and rock kelp. But it's not in the kelp family either.

One interesting thing about the stuff is that it can show you where the area of highest current is located in a pass or cut between islands. In addition to needed a hard surface for attachment, it needs a good current in order to push the stems over to allow maximum exposure to sunlight. You rarely find it growing in still areas.

It provides good cover for gamefish that utilize it to ambush prey when the current is running. It dies off over the winter, so they use it mostly in the fall when it grows into lush mats.

Yup its always in high current rocky areas. I've caught some great fish in and around it. I'm not sure what it's called and a quick Google search didn't yield any results either. I guess its destined to remain a mystery!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Good going Jim.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    Thanks for a great report Jim. The "grass" used to die off in the winter :shrug
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Quality fish, Jim. At least we know where the red ones are hanging out. Just goes to show that the skinny boats will get the job done this time of year. :beer
    Thanks fellas. Today was a pretty strong low tide day according to a buddy of mine who was out. Looking forward to doing some fishing this weekend for sure.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,840 AG
    Fishin on a Tuesday, nice. Thanks for the report. The grass you mentioned sounds like rock grass. I love seeing that stuff, pulled a lot of trout and reds off of it. Only grows on rocks
    grows on shell too.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.