Home Off Topic

Dog or Coyote?

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,024 AG
    Gardawg wrote: »
    We kill trillions of mosquitoes every year.

I don't hear anyone crying about them.

Are y'all bigoted against insects?

Why is one species considered OK to murder but another is sacred?

Now excuse me. It's lunch time. I'm gotta wok my neighbor's dog.

Mosquito borne illnesses kill millions of people every year.

Coyotes have killed two people in the past 35 years.

See the difference?
    12bhunting wrote: »
    You keep trying to insult me, but it just makes you look like a fool. Then you resort to grammar, which really shows your grasping for a lifeline. Now why don't you skip all this foolishness and make sandwiches like you were told to do?

Says the one who struggles to write on a fourth grade level, who fails to see the parallel between the grey wolf and the coyote, and from whom I don't take direction. Thanks, I'll pass.
    12bhunting wrote:
    Tell you what, if you are anywhere around Tallahassee I will shut down my current project and we can meet in person. I would love to buy you lunch and finish the discussion.

I'm more than 10,000 miles from Tallahassee right now, or I'd take you up on your offer, but lunch would be on me. I'd insist. :)

Have a good day...Mike
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,830 Admiral
    It's lunch time. I'm gotta wok my neighbor's dog.
    I get it....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    what is a pavement pounder ?
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Look 2 posts above yours for the definition.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,049 AG
    Finfinder wrote: »
    what is a pavement pounder ?
    somebody's mom
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,808 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Mosquito borne illnesses kill millions of people every year.

Coyotes have killed two people in the past 35 years.

See the difference?

Mosquitoes lives matter.

Actually we are doing a great service for wildlife by shooting wildlife.

We are conditioning them to fear humans and flee at the first sign of them.

That will be more beneficial in the long run than making sure they have no fear of humans. Or worse go looking to get fed by humans.

So there you have it. In order to save wildlife we must kill wildlife. Or ourselves. Your choice.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Oh my...

We done got us the makin's of a wrasslin match.... :)

The last time that happened around here was when someone got mad when someone else said they didn't want dogs chitin on their well maintained lawn...leaving great big brown spots...hahahahaha....

Who cares about coyotes anyway?....I've shot them...I've even shot wolves around the artic circle.....also shot rats at pig farms...crows.....and all kinds of other stuff and never lost one minute worth of sleep....

Just tell me when and where the wrasslin match is gonna be held...I'd like to be there...:)
    Gardawg wrote: »
    Mosquitoes lives matter.

Actually we are doing a great service for wildlife by shooting wildlife.

We are conditioning them to fear humans and flee at the first sign of them.

That will be more beneficial in the long run than making sure they have no fear of humans. Or worse go looking to get fed by humans.

So there you have it. In order to save wildlife we must kill wildlife. Or ourselves. Your choice.

But coyotes are already scared of people, and as a predator their role in nature is to kill wildlife.

Your chocie is a false one, and indicative of the poor logic used by those who would kill wildlife for the sake of killing it.

As we've already seen, it is ineffective, and coyotes don't kill people except in the rarest of circumstances.

So why do it?

Because some of us like killing.

It's as simple as that.

But you make a good point, maybe we should let the mosquitoes breed -- perhaps they would thin out the uneducated redneck population.
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 545 Officer
    Coyotes are very smart. We have them on the farm but we rarely see them. You can hear them yipping and yapping at night but they don't show themselves in the daylight very often. If they do and I'm fortunate enough to kill one.....yay for me. Same with groundhogs that feast on the veggies in the garden. Good riddance. Say it's a redneck thing if you want to but I call it common sense. We used to shoot rats on my grandmother's dairy farm that were infesting the grain bin and took it in stride. It's a different reality when you are living it and not on the outside looking in. I don't take pleasure in killing animals but sometimes it's necessary. Hope to get a deer this year btw...or at the least a few beaver pond two pound bass...the cold water bass are very good....nice firm fillets....peace.
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 545 Officer
    And when I say I don't take pleasure in killing animals that doesn't extend to beavers...they cut trees and make a general mess of things. My personal best was four in one day. The most satisfying were the head shots with my old mans 22 rifle. Accurate gun. Very personal....unlike the buckshot from the twelve gauge shotgun. Tough animals to kill...they have a thick skull....but if you hit em in the sweet spot they go down a trail of bubbles.
    ncdead wrote: »
    I don't take pleasure in killing animals but sometimes it's necessary.

One man's necessity is another man's laziness.

None of the examples you cited was killing necessary, IMO. From where I sit it was simply the easy way out, and largely ineffective and a temporary fix at best.

Which was precisely the point I was trying to make in my various replies in this thread.

Take care....Mike
  • sylviaandrewssylviaandrews Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I think it's a Coyote! Interesting picture by the way.. He knew he was caught on camera ;)
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    I read these Threads about coyotes and other wildlife, and I'm reminded of what our old WWII Marine combat vet Wildlife Professor would tell us about wildlife management techniques: "Boys, if you have a question on managing wildlife, simply go down to the barber shop on Saturday morning and ask your question there. Everyone there will be an "expert", and can tell you what to do"! 'Course that was back well before the days of computers which have made it much easier in not having to spend time at the "barber shop"! :grin
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,416 Captain
    Tarponator wrote: »
    But coyotes are already scared of people, and as a predator their role in nature is to kill wildlife.

Except they will kill almost anything they can including cats and other dogs.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain

Jumped the 6ft wall like nothing!
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,465 AG
    Soak in milk. Wrap in bacon.

Delicious!
    Warning Level 2

Jumped the 6ft wall like nothing!
    Bet his wife makes him put rollers all the way around. Poor kitty!:wink
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    just need more tools in the coyote tool box

coyote%20toolbox_zpscxaiq3gd.jpg
    169304.GIF
  • DrSnookDrSnook Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Do you think calling members uneducated rednecks help to see things your way?
    No, but when others use disparaging words to describe me and my position, I respond in kind. Can you blame me?

And to turn this around a bit.... Do you think that people who kill for the sake of killing, despite the fact that it is ineffective, is a wise and educated thing to do?
    DBRYAN wrote: »
    Except they will kill almost anything they can including cats and other dogs.

And there's an easy solution to that.... Fence rollers. It's also apparently more effective than killing them.

So why kill them on sight again?
    Glad to see that you at least realize that there are times when it actually is necessary to kill a coyote to allow another animal to live.

The whole roller idea really is laughable when suggested as a practical solution for any livestock protection other than within a confined pen or similar small area. I guess it's easy to see it as a sensible solution though when it's someone else's money and someone else's problem.
    It makes me wonder if people who give advise like...."use fence rollers" have ever pit one up...or ever had their hand on one?

It seems pretty fashionable for people with absolutely no hands on experience to shoot out opinions like they have.

Just cause someone has a Cowboy Copas record don't make them a C&W singer....
    Walker Dog wrote: »
    The whole roller idea really is laughable when suggested as a practical solution for any livestock protection other than within a confined pen or similar small area. I guess it's easy to see it as a sensible solution though when it's someone else's money and someone else's problem.

Is it any more or less laughable/sensible than killing coyotes when it's been shown to be ineffective?

And the "problem" spills over past the farm owner when it sets the rest of the ecosystem off kilter -- as it did when we killed all the wolves -- then it becomes all our problem.

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Which might be completely cool for you, but you'll have to excuse me if I take issue...Mike

p.s. and using rollers in a confined area was precisely what I suggested -- coyotes don't kill grown cows but only calves, as I understand it. Clearly it's cost prohibitive to deploy rollers across a ranch with hundreds or thousands of acres. But it would require moving about-to-birth cows into pens and leaving them and their young calves there for some period of time. The operative question is really just how costly or feasible this would be, and if it would be more or less effective than killing the coyotes in the first place. Of course, you'd rather dismiss me than have those conversations, which doesn't surprise me, but does disappoint me to a certain extent.
    Schmidty wrote: »
    It makes me wonder if people who give advise like...."use fence rollers" have ever pit one up...or ever had their hand on one?

It seems pretty fashionable for people with absolutely no hands on experience to shoot out opinions like they have.

Just cause someone has a Cowboy Copas record don't make them a C&W singer....

Since you seem to like to dismiss me, so let's take "me" out of it....

I presume the people selling them, installing them, and experiencing them being effective, have done all those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrrRGltqTc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNNkcLbjjqE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQm9MAxAbk

Do you suggest they are all wrong? If so, on what do you base this, presuming you have no direct experience either?

Thanks....Mike
    Tarponator...

Let me tell you "Ol Buddy".....I wouldn't know what a fence roller was if I get hit in the head by one. :)

.....some here might....but I don't think that you are one of them....and if not how can you give a recommendation about something you know nothing about?

I read every thread on this entire site....but unlike a few...I don't have an answer for everything cause I just don't know everything like some here claim to.

As far as coyotes goes....my "opinion" is that as long as they use the proper gender bathroom I don't have a problem with them ...:) (as Foghorn Leghorn would say, "That's a joke son" )

I used to shoot them...as at one time I used to shoot just about everything that walked , talked or crawled. These days...not so much.

If people want to shoot them...I have no problem with it....you seem to argue about everything...:)
    I never suggested I was, Schmidty. I'm very transparent about my experience or lack thereof.

I'm only following the advice of others who have apparently experienced this problem and have come up with a solution.

Rather than focusing on it, many, to include you, would rather attack me than discuss the issues. My own behavior, punching back, reinforces this, so perhaps I'm partly to blame. I'll try and do better, but it's hard, and I'm hardly perfect...and my personality is such that if you punch me, I punch you right back even if taking the high road is probably the better idea.

Moving on.... I don't argue about everything. Far from it. I argue about things I feel strongly about -- in this case killing wildlife and repeating the mistakes of the past -- and fundamentally no different from you in that regard. Unfortunately, my repeated attempts at taking the high road and becoming a better person have failed. You guys know how to get my goat, so to speak, and I do enjoy the back and forth even if it gets off track sometimes. :)

Let me ask you a question: Since you used to shoot "just about everything that walks", but no longer do so much, why the change?

Could it be your feelings are not all that different from my own in this regard -- killing for the sake of killing is wrong, has unintended consequences, and is ineffective in the case of the coyote -- but since you were guilty of it in the past you simply aren't as clean on the issue so you have trouble taking a strong stance? In short, you've grown older and wiser and have seen the error of your ways?

Your sincere response to the above would be appreciated, and please let's leave me out of it.

Thanks...Mike

p.s. lol @ the bathroom joke. :)
    Well...

I don't shoot many things anymore because I have already shot more animals than any one man deserves.

I have no regrets about anything that I have put bullets into...and I have never made a mistake when I shot something.

If people want to shoot every one of them I have no problem with it at all... :)

How's them apples my know-it-all friend?