Home Off Topic

Dog or Coyote?

Replies

• Not really. I kinda do my own "thing" , like everyone else. It works within the mission.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,610 Admiral
    6 foot fence is NOTHING for a coyote.... Coyotes will go over fences... Most athletic dogs of a Medium size can go right over a 6 foot fence... They just have not realized it yet.....
    Griz's Pup will be able to go over a fence.. They usually do not learn unless you teach them or they see another dog do it...

Coyote rollers work... But you have to keep the bearings lubricated... They have a tendency to get sticky and stuck... The Coyotes will never quit testing the rollers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4p76uzse0
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    6 foot fence is NOTHING for a coyote.... Coyotes will go over fences... Most athletic dogs of a Medium size can go right over a 6 foot fence... They just have not realized it yet.....
    Griz's Pup will be able to go over a fence.. They usually do not learn unless you teach them or they see another dog do it...

Coyote rollers work... But you have to keep the bearings lubricated... They have a tendency to get sticky and stuck... The Coyotes will never quit testing the rollers....

but aside from going over.....if there is something they want inside a fenced field, coyotes just dig under the fence unless you bury the fence at least 2 feet below ground level.
    This is how easy they do it..

The guy holding that white bulldog should have loosed his dang dog.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCcuWQ3COjk
    And this is how pathetically easy a dog that knows how, can go over a fence.... This fence is 8 foot..
    a ten foot fence would not slow this dog down..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buzFtP6x5uw
  • 12bhunting12bhunting Posts: 291 Deckhand
    I had an old walker that would climb a 8' fence, whip the dogs in another pen them get back in his pen and act like nothing happened. This went on for a month. I could not figure out why my dogs were beat all to hell. Then I seen him one morning...
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Please enlighten us.
    I was under the impression that you already know everything.
  • No.

But I know enough.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 338 Deckhand
    You can never know enough, didn't you know that?
    This thread is about coyotes... Not the imagined intellectual grandeur of people with far to many "c"s in their name...
  • Yup. Gone to the dogs....

• GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,922 Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4p76uzse0

Rowdy can go from flat footed to looking me in the eye or higher if he chooses. I've measured him
    grabbing bark off an oak at almost seven feet.

Over Thanksgiving at the kids house they had a five foot pen for me to use. I no sooner put Rowdy in them he was on the outside wondering what the pen was for.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,024 AG
    M.Magis wrote: »
    You really don’t know much about coyotes, do you?

Nope.

Please, enlighten me.
  • :grin

Should have looked at page 3 first.

I guess shooting it is!
    [video]

At 7 months. That is well over my head and I'm 6'3". He's made to the crook in the tree on the left when chasing squirrels.

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,169 Admiral
    Build a fence like the prisons a 2 feet deep rat line & coiled razor wire on top. They won't get in, if they do they would probably bleed to death.
    Mike said that a 6' high fence capped with wire (assuming barbed) would be effective. How does the animal defeat that? And what barrier would be effective in its place?

Apparently they sell "rollers" that stop coyotes (and dogs) from climbing over fences:

http://www.a1steelfence.com/coyote-rollers.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1uCQdtJFIk

But I guess killing them is easier and cheaper?
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
    Griz wrote: »
    Rowdy can go from flat footed to looking me in the eye or higher if he chooses. I've measured him
    grabbing bark off an oak at almost seven feet.

Over Thanksgiving at the kids house they had a five foot pen for me to use. I no sooner put Rowdy in them he was on the outside wondering what the pen was for.

LOL Five foot.... Child's play...
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    They are a non native species in South Carolina, introduced in the 1800s as a sporting animal for hunting. They have had a very negative effect on the deer population up there. My son knows if he sees on while hunting that's his target and if he gets it, that's a steak dinner right there.

I did not know you were Oriental... Learn something new everyday... amazing.. Do you grill it ?
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Pavement pounders have funny views sometimes. If you have a small pen like would be used for a show steer, fencing predators out may be economically feasible. Most cattle are raised in pastures where a roller would be impractical. How many rollers would it take along the fence of a 40 acre pasture? What would.the cost be? Certainly more than what would be economically feasible. Especially when you throw in the additional cost of a 6+' woven wire fence.

In the real world, practicality matters.
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    LOL Five foot.... Child's play...

Just didn't think he would try. He was content in September. I didn't even see him do it. I put him in and shut the gate...turned around and he was behind me looking up as if to say 'where are we going?'.

Walker Dog wrote: »
    Pavement pounders have funny views sometimes. If you have a small pen like would be used for a show steer, fencing predators out may be economically feasible. Most cattle are raised in pastures where a roller would be impractical. How many rollers would it take along the fence of a 40 acre pasture? What would.the cost be? Certainly more than what would be economically feasible. Especially when you throw in the additional cost of a 6+' woven wire fence.

In the real world, practicality matters.

Rednecks have funny views sometimes. Like killing anything that poses a threat to their livestock or profits.

Maybe keep the pregnant cows and mothers/calves in a coyote proof fenced area until they are safe to roam freely.

But I guess killing them is easier and cheaper, even if it isn't apparently particularly effective.

So perhaps we should just hunt them to extinctions so rednecks don't have to worry?
  • 12bhunting12bhunting Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Rednecks have funny views sometimes. Like killing anything that poses a threat to their livestock or profits.

Maybe keep the pregnant cows and mothers/calves in a coyote proof fenced area until they are safe to roam freely.

But I guess killing them is easier and cheaper, even if it isn't apparently particularly effective.

So perhaps we should just hunt them to extinctions so rednecks don't have to worry?

You honestly can not be this ignorant to actually believe the b.s. your posting. But on the other hand you just might be if your putting coyote above a man's livelihood. I am leaning towards option A.
    I guess it's ignorant and b.s. to try to find a way to both protect a "man's livelihood" and a coyote's life?

At what point does a redneck's right to earn a living become subordinate to nature's right to exist? After all wildlife life on Earth is extinct?

Am I the ignorant one...or just the one who thinks killing isn't the only answer?
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    I guess it's ignorant and b.s. to try to find a way to both protect a "man's livelihood" and a coyote's life?

At what point does a redneck's right to earn a living become subordinate to nature's right to exist? After all wildlife life on Earth is extinct?

Am I the ignorant one...or just the one who thinks killing isn't the answer?

just get a Donkey, they will kick the predators to death. God made a way
    169304.GIF
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 552 Officer

How do you build a pen to keep 500 head of cows with calves safe from coyotes?
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
    The same way you build any pen. Just different materials and costs.

But bullets are cheaper and rednecks love to kill stuff, so here we are.