Home Off Topic

Dog or Coyote?

Replies

• GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,919 Admin
    I've lost more of these little ones to coyotes over the years than I care to remember. The sad part is how they kill the calves. They'll bite and crush the spine at the base of the tail and they die a slow painful death if we don't find them
    B17B8E02-8D74-420B-8596-5B6EEFAEB948_zpspnoa866z.jpg

Life's cruel like that. Ever see those lions eat their prey while still alive? Can't imagine going that way.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Griz wrote: »
    Life's cruel like that. Ever see those lions eat their prey while still alive? Can't imagine going that way.

And that's exactly what they do to these calves
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,919 Admin
    And that's exactly what they do to these calves

Don't doubt how upsetting that would be. Strange that's how nature plays out.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    You two mustn't be married...
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Best Coyote video ever made.....

• silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    I've lost more of these little ones to coyotes over the years than I care to remember. The sad part is how they kill the calves. They'll bite and crush the spine at the base of the tail and they die a slow painful death if we don't find them
    B17B8E02-8D74-420B-8596-5B6EEFAEB948_zpspnoa866z.jpg

Was just told this weekend of two coyotes attacking a calf during birth. Before the farmer could stop them, the coyotes had already removed two of the calf's legs.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    LOL! Such hate for coyotes from the same people who let dogs inside their house, or even sleep in their bed. I think it should be 10 years in prison for killing a coyote - after all, they are like people right?
    23895.gif
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 541 Officer
    We see them fairly frequently around here too...
  • 12bhunting12bhunting Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    LOL! Such hate for coyotes from the same people who let dogs inside their house, or even sleep in their bed. I think it should be 10 years in prison for killing a coyote - after all, they are like people right?

10 years in prison for shooting a coyote? Your kidding right?
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Thanks everyone wasn't sure, Knew they were here. Gated neighborhood on little lake Harris in Tavares.. Bought game camera for birthday in november and so far Turkeys,Squirrels,Raccoons, opossoms, Bobcat and Coyote...
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,986 AG
    lbud wrote: »
    Thanks everyone wasn't sure, Knew they were here. Gated neighborhood on little lake Harris in Tavares.. Bought game camera for birthday in november and so far Turkeys,Squirrels,Raccoons, opossoms, Bobcat and Coyote...

How are things in Royal Harbor :D
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 541 Officer
    This the way to catch and kill them.https://youtu.be/jkTw8u6qY2M
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,619 Captain
    Heard some seen in Cape Canaveral south side of the port and one dead h it by a car. Tavares? Dude when I was bow hunting by Inverness 30 years ago we would always hear them at night howling and rarely see one hunting but never got a shot. Always pissed me when someone said they had one walk by their stand and didn't shoot it. With all the people moving in and taking over land they have lost a lot of their fear of man thus showing up in residential areas looking for easy meals.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Best Coyote video ever made.....

****... good vid
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,022 AG
    Instead of killing the local wildlife, why not simply put up a fence that would keep them out of areas like those where young cows are kept?

I guess killing them is cheaper and more satisfying.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Instead of killing the local wildlife, why not simply put up a fence that would keep them out of areas like those where young cows are kept?

They are a non native species in South Carolina, introduced in the 1800s as a sporting animal for hunting. They have had a very negative effect on the deer population up there. My son knows if he sees on while hunting that's his target and if he gets it, that's a steak dinner right there.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 541 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »

How high do you need a fence to keep out a coyote?
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • My son knows if he sees on while hunting that's his target and if he gets it, that's a steak dinner right there.

You make him eat it?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    You make him eat it?

No we skin it though, makes a nice throw rug lol. But he gets dinner at Bonefish or Outback or wherever he wants.
    I've ended more than a few deer hunts shooting yotes. Thinking of putting a stand up near our gut pile and letting the kids shoot them more regularly. They're all over our Sowega camp.
  • What do you do with it after you kill it?

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,385 AG
    What do you do with it after you kill it?

Buzzards gotta eat. Same as worms.
    Warning Level 2
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    No we skin it though, makes a nice throw rug lol. But he gets dinner at Bonefish or Outback or wherever he wants.

Yep....All Game agencies (that I know of) including the FWC classify Coyotes as Fur Bearing animals.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/furbearers/
  • You just leave it where it falls?

Yep....All Game agencies (that I know of) including the FWC classify Coyotes as Fur Bearing animals.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/furbearers/

In SC you can shoot them any time of the year on private property day or night. I thought it would be a cool night hunt if I had those infrared scopes i've seen that people hunt hogs with.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/coyote/

The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources has NEVER released coyotes into the state for any reason, including deer management.
    Coyotes first appeared in the upstate in 1978, they are now present in all counties of South Carolina.-Looks like i was wrong on the date they were introduced
    Coyotes were illegally imported into South Carolina for hound running. SCDNR and Federal law enforcement has and will continue to prosecute for this activity.
    Eastern migration of coyotes has also resulted in natural expansion of the species in South Carolina.

No closed season on private lands
    No hunting license or permit is required to shoot coyotes on your property within 100 yards of your home*
    Electronic calls are permitted
    Night hunting is permitted with weapon restrictions
  • Flats2blueFlats2blue Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Also from the FWC: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/mammals/land/coyote/faqs/

Why won’t FWC just eradicate coyotes?

Research from Florida and other states has shown that removing coyotes is an inefficient and ineffective method to control local coyote populations. This is because coyotes can compensate by increasing litter size and new coyotes can move into habitat others have been removed from. For these reasons, removal efforts have to be continuous or coyote populations can quickly return to their original size.

So in a nutshell, killing them is temporary, they will reproduce at greater levels and replace the stock. But hey, if it makes you feel better .....
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,385 AG
    You just leave it where it falls?

No. I don't leave it near a deer stand if that's where I shoot one.

The last few I have deposited adjacent to the train tracks on our lease so that they're more easily found by the hungry turkey vultures.

I don't like killing something and not eating it, but I'm not eating a coyote, and I don't want them up there eating our fawns, quail, and turkeys.
    Warning Level 2
    We take the ones we kill to the powerline easement and run a mile or so do dump them.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    buzzards dispose of them in a couple of day and it keeps them off the new born calves
    169304.GIF
  • Mango TangoMango Tango Posts: 2,019 Captain
    We have coyotes all over St Pete. We also have a bunch ignorant liberals who live all over St Pete who like to feed the Muscovy ducks and let their cats roam through the night. IMO the coyotes are an integral part of St Pete's ecosystem. Oh the horror of these coyotes keeping the ducks and kitties in check. Funny how that works. lol