Home Off Topic

sec championship game 2016

Replies

• JKPJKP Posts: 3,085 Captain
    gatorsaint wrote: »
    I can't believe some Gator fans are talking about not watching the SEC Championship game. These are probably the same people that threw the towel in before the LSU game. I understand the odds of the Gators winning are a long shot, but upsets do happen. Even if the Gators get crushed, I don't ever miss a Gator game. I wait 8 months to watch Gator football and I watch every minute. Seems like a lot of people only truly support the Gators when they are winning and find better things to do when they are struggling. I lived through the 70's and 80's hoping to go to a bowl game. Getting to Atlanta is always a big deal and I would rather they get there and lose than watch Tennessee or Georgia go.

Well said. From an FSU fan perspective I wish more of our fans were like this. Lots of fair weather fans all over sports these days.
  • paranoid.androidparanoid.android Posts: 97 Deckhand
    Could be Coach Mac's final game as Gator HBC before heading West to Oregon.......
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I come from one of those "civil war" families - Dad went to Bama/Granddad/Mom are Gators - me, I grew up watching/liking both teams except when they play each other then I'm a Tide fan. The '79 Sugar Bowl was one of the first college games I really got into........that goal line stand is forever burned in my brain......been a die hard Bama fan ever since.........even through the lean years post Bryant.

I think it will be a close game but Bama wears down Florida's D in the second half when the offense can't stay on the field - much like the Auburn game - though hopefully with less Hurts miscues. 24 - 9 Roll Tide Roll!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,827 Captain
    I'm hoping for the biggest upset in Gator history.

More likely Bama 34 - UF 13. Tide pulls away in the 3rd when we can't keep the offense on the field and Saban plays his 2s a lot of the 4th quarter.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,159 Captain
    I take back my earlier comments. Because if UF gets whooped badly, fsu may miss out on the orange bowl! Keep it close UF!
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,642 AG
    Could be Coach Mac's final game as Gator HBC before heading West to Oregon.......

I lol'd when I first read that but that scenario seems to be gaining momentum.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,310 Admiral
    gatorsaint wrote: »
    I can't believe some Gator fans are talking about not watching the SEC Championship game. These are probably the same people that threw the towel in before the LSU game. I understand the odds of the Gators winning are a long shot, but upsets do happen. Even if the Gators get crushed, I don't ever miss a Gator game. I wait 8 months to watch Gator football and I watch every minute. Seems like a lot of people only truly support the Gators when they are winning and find better things to do when they are struggling. I lived through the 70's and 80's hoping to go to a bowl game. Getting to Atlanta is always a big deal and I would rather they get there and lose than watch Tennessee or Georgia go.
    gettinwet wrote: »
    I come from one of those "civil war" families - Dad went to Bama/Granddad/Mom are Gators - me, I grew up watching/liking both teams except when they play each other then I'm a Tide fan. The '79 Sugar Bowl was one of the first college games I really got into........that goal line stand is forever burned in my brain......been a die hard Bama fan ever since.........even through the lean years post Bryant.

I think it will be a close game but Bama wears down Florida's D in the second half when the offense can't stay on the field - much like the Auburn game - though hopefully with less Hurts miscues. 24 - 9 Roll Tide Roll!

I am with both of you guys. Sticking with your team through tick and thin. I have been a Gator fan since 1970, when some of the seasons they couldn't get out of their own way. But a true fan does not jump ship when the going gets tough. My sister and brother in law and all of their kids and grandkids have all jumped ship and are now FSU fans. But we all know they are nothing more than fair weather fans. Late in the season like this injuries are part of the deal, and you have to learn to deal with it the best you can. Tomorrow will be a brighter day. It doesn't matter to me if Saban runs the score to 100. GO GATORS!!!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    Resinhead wrote: »
    I lol'd when I first read that but that scenario seems to be gaining momentum.

One can hope
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Flash wrote: »
    Why would I waste something witty on you, you may not get it?? :grin

Never stopped you before and I somehow figured out your hilarious puns, come on, you know you've got some, out with them!
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    I am with both of you guys. Sticking with your team through tick and thin. I have been a Gator fan since 1970, when some of the seasons they couldn't get out of their own way. But a true fan does not jump ship when the going gets tough. My sister and brother in law and all of their kids and grandkids have all jumped ship and are now FSU fans. But we all know they are nothing more than fair weather fans. Late in the season like this injuries are part of the deal, and you have to learn to deal with it the best you can. Tomorrow will be a brighter day. It doesn't matter to me if Saban runs the score to 100. GO GATORS!!!

Started going to the games back in 1972 myself. Your right, there was a time when most high school teams would beat them.
    Even when they had players who went into the NFL.
    Remember when coach Dickey pulled this stunt against Miami???:rotflmao
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Uzu-wPFmc
    My favorite Gator moment:

And my favorite Tide moment too!!!

Roll Tide Roll!! Beat Florida!!!
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    Thinking positive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ

5 key things for Florida: Gators can make statement win or lose in SEC Championship Game

1. Win or lose, Florida has something to prove

Let’s acknowledge it up front — it would be a major stunner for Florida to win this game. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen; it just means that there is a reason Alabama has maintained a perfect record and dominated most everybody in its way.

There’s also a reason the Gators have lost most of their big games this season (at Tennessee, at Arkansas, at Florida State). Their offense is a major issue and at times also manages to undermine the team’s usually strong defense by skewing time of possession and totally stagnating.

That’s why it’s hard to envision the Gators suddenly fixing those woes against the best defense in the country, but again, there is more at stake than just an SEC title this week.

Florida can’t repeat the way it finished the 2015 season, losing its final three games in lopsided fashion to Florida State, Alabama on this same stage and Michigan in a bowl game.

The first domino has already tumbled. The rest is still in the team’s control.

Coach Jim McElwain wants his players believing they can win Saturday, and he should.

But even if they don’t, a competitive showing from the Gators could ease some of the angst within the fan base and provide some momentum heading into whatever bowl game the program draws. Finishing this season on any sort of uptick is significantly important heading into McElwain’s third season.

2. Protect the football

Let’s say Florida is going to find a way to win, how does that happen?

Well, this is overstating the obvious, but for the Gators to have any chance they can not afford to turn the ball over Saturday.

Alabama has scored nine defensive touchdowns and is as opportunistic as any defense in the country. The margin for error is non-existent for the Gators against a team that allows an FBS-best 246.8 yards and 11.4 points per game.

Last week Gators quarterback Austin Appleby lost two fumbles that led to quick Florida State touchdowns. Every opportunity is crucial Saturday, as is field position and Alabama certainly doesn’t need to be helped in any way.

The Tide have enough of an edge as is.

3. Compete up front, some how, some way

The Gators were manhandled up front by Florida State last week, allowing six sacks and averaging just 2.0 yards per carry.

This also falls under the “obvious” category, but there is no way Florida competes in this game if it doesn’t first compete up front.

The Florida offensive line is ailing with center Cam Dillard still out and left guard Martez Ivey doubtful after trying to play through an ankle injury last week.

While that Florida State defense the Gators just faced leads the country in sacks, Alabama is not far behind with an average of 3.42 per game.

Some how, some way, Florida has to protect its quarterback because …
    Florida-Florida Gators football-SEC championship game-Alabama

4. Make plays through the air

This runs counter to Florida’s traditional formula for success this season of leaning on the ground game and defense and picking its spots in the passing game.

But the reality is that Alabama allows only 68.7 rushing yards per game. That’s 29.2 fewer on average than the next-best team in the country. The Tide allowed only 66 rushing yards last week to an Auburn team that now ranks sixth nationally in averaging 278.5 yards per game on the ground.

That’s so beyond stifling that Florida can’t expect its banged-up offensive line and a rushing attack that managed only 58 yards against Florida State to do any better than the mean against the Tide.

Alabama is very good against the pass too — ranking 11th nationally in allowing 178.1 yards per game — but the Tide isn’t quite as dominant in the secondary.

Appleby has been up and down in his five starts this season, but he has a strong arm and will need to put it to use and make some plays downfield to give the Gators offense a chance.

That onus falls on offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier as well to get creative, to find ways to get the ball to playmakers Antonio Callaway and Tyrie Cleveland, to set up opportunities for some effective deep shots. The Gators can’t rely on screen passes and quick throws to the flat. That won’t be nearly enough. More than anything, they can’t be predictable.

5. If ever there was a time …

Florida owes a number of its wins this season to its defense. Even as the injuries have piled up (as the Gators are expected to be down six defensive starters this week), that unit has responded and ranks sixth overall in holding opponents to an average of 291.9 yards per game.

The Gators struggled to stop Florida State running back Dalvin Cook last week, but they were undermined by a putrid offensive performance that included an 0-for-12 mark on third downs and those two costly fumbles that led directly to 14 Seminoles points.

The Florida defense showed the previous week at LSU how it can impose its will on a game and it will have to this week. A defensive score would be huge in swinging the momentum and swinging the balance. Forced turnovers of any kind will buy the Gators opportunities and time to make a dent against the Tide.

Alabama ranks 23rd in total offense at 479.6 yards per game and 19th in scoring at 39.4 points per game (including its defensive scores). The running game is solid as always, but freshman quarterback Jalen Hurts has added and extra dynamic with his passing (2,454 yards, 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions) and rushing (840 yards, 12 touchdowns) abilities.

The Gators need to first make this a low-scoring game by limiting Hurts and company. But now would also be as good a time as any for some of those game-changing pick-6s or forced fumbles.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/5-key-things-for-florida-gators-can-make-statement-win-or-lose-in-sec-championship-game

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • NOLE66NOLE66 Posts: 1,630 Officer
    Lets see, 0 for 11 3rd down conversions and ZERO Tds on offense last 11 quarters versus FSU. That converts to an even uglier day versus the only good team in the once 'mighty' ESSSS Eeeeee Seeee.

Bama 52
    Uf 3
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Old adage, when everyone thinks it's going one way, go the other. I think the Gata will keep it close, a lot closer than common opinion would suggest, certainly under the 24 pts, but what do I know, I've got an education from FSU, right Captjohn? Lol
  • BaitsnacherBaitsnacher Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Captjohnboat.. is camping
  • peariverpeariver Posts: 855 Officer
    Alabama wins the game but when the game is in hand, Saban will not run up the score on Coach Mac. Bama by less than 24
  • JiviwhopperJiviwhopper Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    It'll be over in 15 minutes.
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Started going to the games back in 1972 myself. Your right, there was a time when most high school teams would beat them.
    Even when they had players who went into the NFL.
    Remember when coach Dickey pulled this stunt against Miami???:rotflmao
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Uzu-wPFmc

Oh but you know that was none of his doing. His players just decided to let that happen!:wink

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

My favorite Gator moment:

And my favorite Tide moment too!!!
    Roll Tide Roll!! Beat Florida!!!
    All kidding aside, I don't remember ever seeing your name on any football team roster.

• Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    Oh but you know that was none of his doing. His players just decided to let that happen!:wink

Hell, Spurrier would have kept throwing and said its your job to stop us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All kidding aside, I don't remember ever seeing your name on any football team roster.

I'm actually a Tebow fan - though he isn't an NFL QB but he still got paid - that said, I'm a Bama fanatic and this game - particularly given the history of Florida/Bama in the SEC Championship plus the fourth quarter loss from the previous year - signaled the return of the Tide as one of the best programs in the country!

Roll Tide Roll!! Beat Florida!!
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    Bama is the better team and much deeper than UF, so bet the farm.

I think its cool that this is Bama's 11 trip to the SECCG, they only lost 4 times, all to the Gators.

and this is UF's 12 trip to the SECCG, they only lost 4 times, all to Bama.
    I'm actually a Tebow fan - though he isn't an NFL QB but he still got paid - that said, I'm a Bama fanatic and this game - particularly given the history of Florida/Bama in the SEC Championship plus the fourth quarter loss from the previous year - signaled the return of the Tide as one of the best programs in the country!

Roll Tide Roll!! Beat Florida!!

Tebow is a class act no matter how you turn it. He invested 99% of the money he's made into 2 Hospitals he has personally had built in the Philippines. It is also a fact that the only reason Bama is so strong is because of their coach. Saban is the best in all of college football, hands down but just know this, He will not be there forever. So enjoy it while you can because every dog has his day in the sun.

• peariverpeariver Posts: 855 Officer
    Saban is the best in all of college football, hands down but just know this, He will not be there forever. So enjoy it while you can because every dog has his day in the sun.

I understand what you are saying but would like to add that just a few dogs get there day in the sun some sit there butt on the porch and don't put forth the effort it takes to get in the sun and sweat.
    peariver wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying but would like to add that just a few dogs get there day in the sun some sit there butt on the porch and don't put forth the effort it takes to get in the sun and sweat.

Most don't have the ability or know how to get it done. There are only a handful who do.

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    I am a Gator, Bama should win easy, just hope they don't stick our nose in it. I will watch the game online and root for the Gators, all I gotta say is if we are even to have a chance "The Good Lord Better Smile on the Gators Today" I miss Spurrier. I will also have a bottle of DR rum and some guava juice.
    Win , lose , or draw... GO GATORS!!! I'm just hoping for a good game, but the offense has to sustain some drives, and not go 3 and out all game. If they do it will get mighty ugly because Bama has a wrecking ball crew.

• JaxNoleJaxNole Posts: 1,705 Captain
    Tebow is a class act no matter how you turn it. He invested 99% of the money he's made into 2 Hospitals he has personally had built in the Philippines. It is also a fact that the only reason Bama is so strong is because of their coach. Saban is the best in all of college football, hands down but just know this, He will not be there forever. So enjoy it while you can because every dog has his day in the sun.

I don't even know where to start with this. :Bike
  • wynnvwynnv Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Started going to UF games 48 years ago with my father. We had season tickets for many years. So I have seen the good...the bad and the average as of late. As was stated, UF is not a top 10 program now. Mac gets a pass on the offense the first 2 years. Next year is a different story. Whether he starts Franks...Trask or picks up another grad transfer, its on him from this point forward.

The fact UF is even in this game is amazing with the challenges they have on offense. Obviously without the East hitting rock bottom this year it would not of happened. I do know this..... How many teams can say this is there 12th conference championship game? Go Gators