Treasure Island Wahoo

We have been trolling offshore over the last few months and came across this day maker. After boating two other Wahoo and two nice BF this knocked down the left long rigger.

Replies

• LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Slob of a hoo! Nice fish, how deep ?
  • brinkleybrinkley Posts: 184 Officer
    All three were in about 250ft
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 899 Officer
    holy crap! Awesome!
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer
    way to go!
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
    Thanks guys. The big hoo has a great story as well. He knocked down the left long so I immediately grabbed the reel and opened the drag as he didn't hook up with the knock down. As I held the reel in free spool I was looking right at the lure and he circled back and exploded on it, top water strike of all top water strikes. With reel in hand and line ripping out I slid the lever drag up and came tight. The weight confirmed this was like no other wahoo, tuna, or sailfish I've caught...
    He measures about 6'2". The other two wahoo laying on the dock were also good size until this was put in the fish box.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,082 Moderator
    Wow, great Hoo, that is certainly an official biggin. Some of the best eats in the Gulf, bar none. Nice job Cap'.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 639 Officer
    Well played Capt with the free spool and the sight bite on the lure....Very sweet slob for sure. With the cooling water temps I expect they will be moving closer to shore soon? :crossed
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,321 Officer
    Super fish! Sounds like an awesome day offshore. If you don`t mind telling what lures are you dragging?
    Thanks guys.

Regarding lure selection, We got our first hoo of the morning on a cedar plug. Second hoo came on a 12" Black/Purple "Pulsator" Brand Lure with a horse ballyhoo underneath. The glass head on the Pulsator was a slant nose. The third and largest came on almost the exact same setup, except the glass head was cupped. All rigged on 300 Momoi and trolled at 7mph.

The first of two 18 pound Black Fin hit the same cedar plug as the first wahoo and the other tuna hit a Black/Purple "Wahoo Whacker" Brand Lure rigged again over a horse ballyhoo. All rigged on 300 Momoi.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 591 Officer
    brinkley wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Regarding lure selection, We got our first hoo of the morning on a cedar plug. Second hoo came on a 12" Black/Purple "Pulsator" Brand Lure with a horse ballyhoo underneath. The glass head on the Pulsator was a slant nose. The third and largest came on almost the exact same setup, except the glass head was cupped. All rigged on 300 Momoi and trolled at 7mph.

The first of two 18 pound Black Fin hit the same cedar plug as the first wahoo and the other tuna hit a Black/Purple "Wahoo Whacker" Brand Lure rigged again over a horse ballyhoo. All rigged on 300 Momoi.

Wahoo Whacker with a horse ballyhoo is a big mouthful for a blackfin; pretty ambitious fish. What was the weight on the big 'hoo? Also, how far back were you dragging baits?
    The weight of the big hoo is officially unknown. He was 6'2" and round like a keg. Many have compared to known weighed hoo's and it seem like its somewhere in the 80-90 range.

One hoo came off a lure 30 feet behind the boat (kingfish prop wash style) and the tuna and other hoo's came on long riggers and long center, about 60-80 yards back?.? It's hard for me to guess, but I'd consider them way back. My 30 wides have a 100 yrd top shot and its 3/4 out. The long center is that far plus another 10-15 yards.
    Oh, and I agree about the ambitious fish. We had a 3-4 pound cow dolphin (peanut at best) eat a 15 1/2 inch marlin plug... I don't know what she was thinking.
  • MoscadorMoscador Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Now that's a fish!! WTG, Capt.
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Thanks for the info and sounds like an epic time! Love the fact you fed the fish!
    Oh, and I agree about the ambitious fish. We had a 3-4 pound cow dolphin (peanut at best) eat a 15 1/2 inch marlin plug... I don't know what she was thinking.

Yeah, dolphin don't seem to have the best grasp of scale or perspective when it comes their feeding. I was thinking that the wahoo was right around #90 to my eye. #90 is a monster, especially for the gulf. I'll dig up a picture of the #124 I caught in the V.I. 20 years ago for comparison. Ugh, I hate being old enough to talk about things that happened 20 years ago...
  • CFMonsterCFMonster Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Did you have any weight on the lures, or just trolled near surface? Great 'hoo BTW!
    CFMonster wrote: »
    Did you have any weight on the lures, or just trolled near surface? Great 'hoo BTW!

The whacker has enough integral weight to keep it around a foot under the surface. The cedar plugs zip around in and out of the water and the other is a surface lure. Sounds like he had them all running flat on the surface, but I could be wrong.
    Kokosing,

You got it. We troll at 7-8mph with various lures that have various weights but we do not add trolling weights that are used when High Speed Trolling for Wahoo. We don't high speed troll due to the heavy fuel burn during that process. We need it to get home from 100-140 miles offshore.
    Kokosing,

You got it. We troll at 7-8mph with various lures that have various weights but we do not add trolling weights that are used when High Speed Trolling for Wahoo. We don't high speed troll due to the heavy fuel burn during that process. We need it to get home from 100-140 miles offshore.

Are you running with inboards or outboards? That boat looks like a lot like a SeaVee to me.
    It is a 32 SeaVee with twin Verados.
    It is a 32 SeaVee with twin Verados.

Thought it looked like a SeaVee. I used to think that SeaVees were "nice" until this past summer when we went out on a custom 39' SeaVee charter out of Saint Thomas. I fell head over heels in love with that boat, especially how well it handled the heavy seas both trolling and drifting. It was like a rock. It had twin diesel inboards, though, and all that weight in the bottom may have been part of how well it handled the seas. LOVED that boat, especially how the bow is made to be fishable all the way to the tip instead of cluttering it with seats and crap.

Finally dug up a picture of the #124* wahoo from twenty years ago. Pretty rough scan, but good enough.

wahoo002.jpg
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,321 Captain
    Outstanding!
  • ericfericf Posts: 455 Deckhand
    Great wahoo, pretty awesome you got out there in between the wind too! Inspiration...

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec