Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Friday 25th, trout and reds

Went to the flats around shark point area fished there around 2hrs. and only got one keeper trout, from there anchored up near a mangrove island where I saw mullet jumping and tried for red fish, got 4 undersized reds and the bite stopped, so pulled anchor and drifted for trout again but within sight of the spot I left. The tide started to move out quickly at that point and I could see a lot of mullet jumping and pelicans diving the water so I thought to myself I'm going back there for one more shot. Glad I did, got re anchored up and right away saw tails breaking the water right up against the mangroves, a first for me, pretty cool to watch, threw my popping cork with a shrimp about 5 ft. from the tail and immediately the tail disappeared and the cork took a dive. A couple minutes later I had a nice 23" in the box. There were still tails breaking the surfaced but can only keep one so I headed in. The down side of the trip was the ramp at fort island trail, it was a ZOO! More people than I have ever seen at that ramp. Could barely get my truck and trailer out of the spot, had to park in one of the side lots, trucks and trailers were parked all the way out onto fort island road, must of been over 150 trailers there I bet, crazy.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,875 Moderator
    Glad you caught the nice red , not glad for holiday traffic. This is always a crazy weekend to trailer a boat.
    Drove home from Kissimmee bass fishing on a Sunday after T.giving years back. The turnpike was solid bumper to bumper North bound for the entire ride until Wildwood !! Never got over 25mph the whole way. :banghead
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Trophy20Trophy20 Member Posts: 49 Deckhand
    You ain't kidding. I thought there wouldn't be hardly anybody, it was packed. I was fishing for snook around docks in Kings Bay, NONE seen or caught, got skunked. I guess they haven't moved in yet?? I couldn't believe how many people were on diving & manatee tours, also I must have seen 1000 rental kayaks :huh.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Good to get out and catch some fish. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • one more driftone more drift Senior Member Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Yeah when I pulled into the parking lot at 7:20 and there were no regular spots left, I think there is like 60 or so, I was surprised, Didn't think that many people would be out on a Friday even though it was the one after thanksgiving. Knew it was going to be bad at the ramp when I got in seeing how many boats were out on the water. In the little creek that leads up to the ramp when I got in there was about 6 boats idling in the creek just to get to a ramp, they were all being used, this was about 3:pm, I couldn't imagine what that place was like an hour or so later! Put a note in my fishing log book not to fish on this holiday weekend again. still glad I went, the red gave me a nice little battle on my spinning rod, and I have fish for dinner.