Home Off Topic

iROBOT vacuum cleaner . . .

Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
Just bought a Roomba 650 and now reading the instruction manual before I plug it in, and configuring each room to hopefully accommodate it to work and not get stuck.

Any suggestions from present owners?

TYIA!

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 

Replies

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,609 Captain
    Take it back and buy the Samsung power bot. It doesn't need configuration and it's a much better vacuum
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,893 Admiral
    Put the docking station in a central point of the area to clean (could be necessary a charge during cleaning cycle), with no obstacles around and pretty far from any electric panels (they create problem at the robot coming-back path, perhaps magnetic disturbances).
    It works very well but better if you organize the home (closing some room doors or using the virtual wall devices) in order to clean not more than 50 squared meters (around 540 squared feets) for any single session.
    For the best result remove any lightweight forniture (e.g. chairs) from the floor.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 780 Officer
    I have enjoyed mine, but the batteries on mine are a PITA, but the batteries you can buy on Amazon, are better than what came with mine. I wonder why they do not put lithium batteries in them.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,893 Admiral
    Are lithium batteries inside (at least, if I don't remember wrong :huh). But mine is 651, not 650 (perhaps is different).
    Anyway they recommend to let always the robot on charge, even if not used for long time, in order to save battery.

Edit: I checked, are Ni-MH batteries, not lithium.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 780 Officer
    There are some tricks to keeping the batteries longer, if you google it,but yes you have to replace them sooner or later.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    For those wanting to enjoy the humorous videos, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1u_T328rw

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I have had one for over 5 years - doesn't mean I actually use more than every 3-4 months though. It does work very well when it doesn't get tangled in shoelaces or electrical cords. I am impressed by the batteries. Over 5 years old (maybe 7+) and still going strong.
    23895.gif
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Our son has one.

It comes to visit once in a while. It's a nosey, creepy little thing. I shut the bedroom door and could hear it trying to get in...banging on the door. Thankfully it can't yet reach the doorknob. So I waited it out. Finally, when it was occupied in another part of the house - I slipped out of the safety of my room neglecting to shut the door behind me. Here it come, zipped right in through the open door. It is persistent, and has a good memory apparently. I do not like being in the same room with it...goodness only knows what it's thinking!

My son and his wife love it. Me?..pushing around a vacuum cleaner is a fine form of exercise!
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    lol I just vacuum, I got one of those little suckers, it works ok but does not vacuum great on tiles. Weird little sucker, it just goes where it just goes where it wants.
  • elvin67elvin67 los anglesPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    I have a bad experience with roomba it get stuck in the solid objects in the room
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,369 AG
    I ain't doing chores to prep the place for my **** robot to do chores. 
    Reminds me of my mom cleaning up the place for the maid.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,725 AG
    I own a Bobsweep I got on clearance for $150. I like it, not love it. It does get stuck occasionally, but it does a decent job. I wouldn't pay the $500 or so I have some cost. The one I have claims to be self learning, but I think it just randomly wanders around until it gets to everything. It did come with a remote so I can vacuum while watching TV and control where it goes. It is faster than letting it do it's random thing, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    edited December 2018 #15
    I ain't doing chores to prep the place for my **** robot to do chores. 
    Reminds me of my mom cleaning up the place for the maid.

Amen.
    That brought back some memories (Mom didn't want the maid to think we were slobs).
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • FishshrimpsnorkelFishshrimpsnorkel Posts: 1,396 Officer
    We have the Shark Ion robot for our wood and tile floors. The only prep is moving a few small rugs and spacing the dining room chairs. I most enjoy that it is WAY quieter than a vac!
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    I'll second a maid. For $85 twice a month to clean, bathrooms, vacuum, mop, etc on my 3000 ft home it is a no brainer.

Even my OCD single brother that cleans and does laundry daily decided to use her. Lol
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,820 AG
    I have an iWife that cleans almost daily.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,725 AG
    Funny this topic is here and Woot has a clearance on the Bobsweep. 

If you want one cheap;

https://www.woot.com/plus/bobsweep-robotic-vacuums

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• FloydFloyd ; in N. Tampa or DownEast MainePosts: 1,109 Officer
    We just got our second roomba, a 690.  Our old 500 series roomba is on duty at our summer home.   I second the thought about putting the charging station in a central location so that the roomba can see it when it needs to connect to it for a recharge.  I have a friend who has a 575 model and he claims that when it needs a charge it heads directly for the door and  goes directly to the charger.  Mine just randomly bumps around until it sees the infra-red beam emanating from the charger.
    Despite all the claims from iRobot about sophisticated algorithms that direct the roomba's path to clean a room, it looks to me like the thing just criss-crosses the room dozens of times until it has probably covered most of the area, which is very inefficient and takes a long time.  The higher-priced models claim to have some room mapping capability, and might travel in a planned pattern,  but I'm not going to pay double or triple for that.
    If I'm watching TV and my wife wants to run the roomba, I'll get out the hoover and vaccum the area in a few minutes, rather than listen to the roomba bumping around me for a half hour.
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Obviously none of you have read I Robot by Isaac Asimov ? 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,146 AG
    Obviously none of you have read I Robot by Isaac Asimov ? 
    The last movie was pretty good.
    elvin67 said:
    I have a bad experience with roomba it get stuck in the solid objects in the room
    I have found deebot m80 review do let me know it worth spending money or it will also suck like Electrolux and Roomba.
    It is very difficult to find Top-rated vacuum cleaner these days 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I can live without one. Too many uneven floors in my crappy house.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,432 AG
    elvin67 said:
    It is very difficult to find Top-rated vacuum cleaner these days 

This thing sucks, in a good way. The best one weve owned by far 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,312 Admiral
    My wife likes her shark too.  They are the devil replacing the belts.

You need an engineering degree to figure everything out.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 852 Officer
    I think we  may actually now be talking to a vacuum cleaner.
    Elvin, you full yet?
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    looks like we need to revoke some man cards   
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 970 Officer
    We have a Eufy 11, which we named Bumpy.  It does it's job pretty good.  Picks up a lot of dust which is great.  However, I had to replace the battery after a year of light use on about 700 sf of tile floor.   
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    I call mine "Scout" since it goes to clean places I am too old and unable to access.