Trolling for Gags in 30ft

Time to dust off those deep diving plugs and get on the water. This is the time of year trolling deep diving plugs in shallow water can be very productive. A fishing buddy and I were inspiring by the recent post of some gags caught off Anclote trolling plugs in shallow water and went out on Saturday for a few hours. It was very productive landing a 31" and 27" gag in just a few hours. A third large Gag was lost when it was cut off on the rocks. We were just off Dunedin in 30 ft off water. We pulled deep diving plugs about 150 ft back at about 4 knots. The bite was steady with good size gags. We were back to the dock by noon and back to the house in time to watch some college football. I also enjoyed watching my Noles roll over the Gators as I enjoyed a blackened grouper sandwich with a cold beer in hand. Did I mention my fishing buddy was a UF grad?

Get out and enjoy some of the shallow water gag fishing we are so lucky to have access too this time of year!

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,978 Moderator
    Now that's how a first post is done. Those are some beautiful fall Gags. Nice job.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 693 Officer
    great job - go noles!
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Nice first post!!!! Good work on the gags:applause
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Nice going!!
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    Sweet Sweet Sweet....all 31 of them GO NOLES. Oh yea nice job Joyfly, big smiles, big gags.... way to stack the cord wood in the box.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    Sweet Sweet Sweet....all 31 of them points GO NOLES. Oh yea nice job Joyfly, big smiles, big gags.... way to stack the cord wood in the box.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • GSRswapandslowGSRswapandslow Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Any suggestions you're willing to share for lure choice?
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 390 Deckhand
    Great job. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at it down here in Venice.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,672 Moderator
    Nice trolled gags and welcome aboard !!
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JoyflyJoyfly Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Sure. Deep diving plugs 6-10" long. We were using blue and white and green and white. We were using Mann's Bait company Stretch 25+ but Rapalla make a Stretch 25+ as well. Pull them over rocky bottom in 30ft of water at 3-5 knots
    Good luck
  • GSRswapandslowGSRswapandslow Posts: 120 Deckhand
    thank you sir.....Stretch 20, 25, or 30 was what I was planning on trying...just wasn't sure on colors
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Saw A Nole fan this am on Macintosh road with the emblem on the side with big letters "we do it right", as a wrecker was pulling him out of the ditch. LOL Nice Gags!
    rent my beach house