Sea Tow vs. Boat US

There have been several threads over the years discussing which is better -- Sea Tow or BoatUS -- and everyone seems to have their favorite. I've looked at each and found little difference in listed benefits, and membership costs are similar, but I've never bitten the bullet. However, it may be time.

I've been favoring BoatUS, primarily due to the proximity of a BoatUS port (a tow boat docks at the marina where my boat is stored). At Sam's Club this afternoon, I found SeaTow membership for $39; didn't notice any coverage restrictions on the description card.

Worth a shot?

Replies

• TampaCTTampaCT Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    To me, the trailer assist is the biggest part of Boat US that I like.
  • tomkrastomkras Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    You need to check that price. Sea Tow membership is $179 per year. If you can really get 1 year unlimited for $39, run don't walk before they're gone. Boat US is $169 per year. I like it because you also get 4% in rewards from West Marine.
  • SouthernWayzSouthernWayz Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I use Geico Marine insurance. If I am not mistaken they bought one or both of them out. I simply call Geico if stranded on water or land and they dispatch BoatUS or SeaTow depending on who is closer. Runs me 40 dollars a year for water and trailer.
  • SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    That's good to know. Was looking to change my insurance. I'll have to call Geico.
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    I finally got back to Sam's Club a few days ago, bought the membership deal @ $35, enrolled as directed. The membership sold by Sam's is the regular full membership that goes for $160 or so. Too good to pass up, even with towing covered by other insurance (with an upfront payment, as opposed to SeaTow's "free" tow). Bought one for my son, also.
  • StratCasterStratCaster Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    It's so rare to get good customer service in the marine industry that I feel compelled to share my experience.  I (unfortunately) had to call BoatUs out of St. Petersburg for on-water assistance over the weekend.  The dispatcher was great, she got the information and gave me an ETA.  Within a few minutes, I was contacted by the local operator by VHF to let me know someone was on the way. 

Within about 45 minutes of my original call, Chris arrived in a Tow BoatUs catamaran to help me.  He was really professional and very nice.  He even climbed on my boat to help fix the problem.  I couldn't have had a better experience.  I recommend Chris and Tow BoatUS if you're a Tampa Bay boater.  
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 516 Officer
    Wow good deal!
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
  • retiredviejoretiredviejo San PedroPosts: 207 Deckhand
    edited June 25 #9
    Wow. I can't imagine spending a day on the water where I'd have to worry about a tow. 
  • retiredviejoretiredviejo San PedroPosts: 207 Deckhand
    edited June 25 #10
    "
  • DKDDKD Posts: 375 Deckhand
    I use BoatUS, as it’s bundled with my insurance. If you plan on going out more than 50 miles, definitely get Sea Tow.
  • Tampa Bay BoaterTampa Bay Boater Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    I just switched to Geico and can confirm SouthernWayz post. The agent said that they own BoatUS and their membership card came in the package along with the insurance details. 

For Tampa Bay Boaters, inshore/near shore, EC-SAR (Eckerd College Search and Rescue) can be a great FREE option from Johns Pass to Longboat Pass up to 10 miles offshore. https://www.eckerd.edu/waterfront/ecsar/
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,416 AG
    I use BoatUS. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,088 Captain
    I just switched to Geico and can confirm SouthernWayz post. The agent said that they own BoatUS and their membership card came in the package along with the insurance details. 

For Tampa Bay Boaters, inshore/near shore, EC-SAR (Eckerd College Search and Rescue) can be a great FREE option from Johns Pass to Longboat Pass up to 10 miles offshore. https://www.eckerd.edu/waterfront/ecsar/
    Eckerd is AWESOME.  I did have to use them once when I ran out of gas.  I BELIEVE they wanted a donation for coming if I remember correctly.  Could be wrong. But we gave them one.  Still a bargain...for being a [email protected] and running out of gas.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 66 Greenhorn
    edited July 3 #15
    Geico offering tow package for 3 bucks a month if you insure boat with them, through TowboatUS.  I'm guessing that's base price, probably goes higher...
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,088 Captain
    Geico offering tow package for 3 bucks a month if you insure boat with them, through TowboatUS.  I'm guessing that's base price, probably goes higher...
    Progressive does as well.  I think it was $50 a year or something.  Started a post on that a while back.  
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013