Two new firsts...

Am fairly new to Florida fishing (< 1 year), but was able to cross these 2 off my "never caught" list last week. Both were caught off Honeymoon Island in Dunedin (different days) using artificials. The king was caught on a Yo-Zuri lure and the snook was caught on a Gotcha plug from which I had removed the front treble hook set. The king took probably 15 minutes to land, since he kept making mad runs and I had to keep loosening the drag.

Now I need to catch a keeper red (have caught smaller ones)! And I'd love to catch larger jacks. Have caught a bunch in the 1-2 lbs range, but would love to catch bigger ones. So far, they're my favorite fish to catch, pound for pound the best fighting fish I've caught (although the king put up a heck of a fight!)

Mike

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 567 Officer
    Good deal Man!!!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,978 Moderator
    WTG!
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 893 Officer
    awesome
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 315 Deckhand
    You caught that king from the beach? That is awesome!
  • mdroz999mdroz999 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    GratefulEd wrote: »
    You caught that king from the beach? That is awesome!

I did. I haven't been fishing that long in Florida - is that unusual? I was on the far north end of Honeymoon Island, in that channel between Honeymoon Island and 3 Rooker Island, wading about 30' offshore. He hit a Yo-Zuri lure and took off like a freight train. BTW, I only was using a Quantum Antix 4000 reel on a 7'6" med-light rod, 15 lb. braid and a 20 lb. flourocarbon leader. I thought I had a shark, since I'd seen a few swimming nearby. Then as I was playing this thing, a bunch of dolphins came over and I thought they were going to steal the fish off my line. All in all, a great experience!
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,478 Officer
    mdroz999 wrote: »
    is that unusual?

Very.... I have fished beaches from Daytona down to Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers up to Sarasota - never saw one nabbed off a beach.
    And you did it in my own backyard at that. It's getting late now, but next run, you could do it again.
    That is a nice spot, ain't it?
  • mdroz999mdroz999 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    GratefulEd wrote: »
    That is a nice spot, ain't it?

It is... it's a bit of a hike, especially at high tide - about 40 minutes from the north parking lot. But that's part of what makes it a great spot. I've only fished it 4 or 5 times, but I've never encountered a single other fisherman at that spot. Besides those 2 fish, I've also caught mackerel, bluefish, jacks, yellowtails and really big ladyfish. All on artificials.
    You wouldn't believe how hot it was 40 years ago. In FS magazine they published an article about it that was probably too detailed, and it was all downhill from there... My brothers and I nearly stroked out over it.
    Mikey cancelled his subscription. It was bad. From nobody there to a parking lot overnite.
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 330 Deckhand
    That's awesome. A king mackerel from land while wading.