Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Forum traffic??

1outlaw1outlaw Senior MemberNaples FLPosts: 1,862 Captain
Does anyone have any insight into why this region has minimal traffic? There are only a handful of people posting on a regular basis.
Looks like the other regions always have new topics and conversations going. :huh
Jason :USA

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Senior Member Land of Wind and GhostsPosts: 24,905 AG
    The region mimics the magazine. Where this is OK for print, the appeal doesn't match when considering population. Naples to Flamingo is sparsely populated. And there isn't much conversation about the western park. South talks about Flamingo and the eastern park.

It really needs to be rolled in with SW for more activity. But like I said, it looks like the magazine. Post in SW if you want more activity.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Senior Member Naples FLPosts: 1,862 Captain
    I think you are correct in combining the 2.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Senior Member Land of Wind and GhostsPosts: 24,905 AG
    Come up to SW.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • 10kman10kman Senior Member Posts: 970 Officer
    Its true the 10k forum has less traffic but the 10k area is much different
    fishing area than Bonita and North.The 10k area is more like fishing in the
    backcountry of the Keys with its many small islands and the chance of
    getting lost quickly.
    Discussion about boats,rod and reels are the same but not the terrain.
  • Zone RangerZone Ranger Member Cane PatchPosts: 82 Deckhand
    My vote is to leave the 10K section alone so we don't have to wade through posts on areas we rarely if ever fish to find what's going on in our favorite little corner of the swamp. For those of us on the East coast the 10K is about as far as we can get for a day of fishing without renting a room somewhere.
    Its not going to change.

• hardwayhardway Senior Member Posts: 113 Deckhand
    As long as there are some reports I hope they leave it as the TI. we only fish EC acoupla of times a year, but we still enjoy reading about it. Used to stay at the old fish camp until they turned it into an RV distination. Capt George the voice of experience
    Im not wanting it to change....I just wondered why.... Im guessing here, the 10k does not fish like other areas....Not alot of community holes....And no one wants to give up where they are catching....As a noobie to fishing for salt water species i am personally find the 10K area to be a bit overwhelming... I have started to break it down in squares to get to know the area and how tide flows.
    Found out this past weekend that the tide flows fast coming into hells gate on the upper side of lighters bay....I would have thought it would been flowing from lighters to hells bay...Not the case!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,629 AG
    I've got one spot where the tide is always outgoing...bizarre..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • polliwogpolliwog Senior Member Posts: 355 Deckhand
    The 10k is a life long process of getting to know. I've been fishing the area for 12yrs and know a really small amount of what it has to offer. I'll never get it down pat, Too old ,but I do have my moments of success. I'm not surprised that spots are never talked about,it to tough to find them.

I will say every day is different in the same spots,so you need to cover terrritory.
  • Mr.SnookMr.Snook Member NaplesPosts: 91 Deckhand
    For me I used to be much more active in the forums (SW & 10K) but after they changed forum formats several times and I lost my login and had to re join the forum that combined with what I assume other people having the same issues as the number of posters dropped, I kind of lost my interest in it or at least posting as much. I wish it had more action as the Weekend Fishing forecast for this area is also hit or miss as to if there will even be a forecast for weeks on end. For me with kids who have activities, friends, my work, house hold things etc I really needed the forecast as a guide as I'm not out there on the water weekly anymore.
    polliwog wrote: »
    The 10k is a life long process of getting to know. I've been fishing the area for 12yrs and know a really small amount of what it has to offer. I'll never get it down pat, Too old ,but I do have my moments of success. I'm not surprised that spots are never talked about,it to tough to find them.

I will say every day is different in the same spots,so you need to cover terrritory.

I have fished freshwater my entire life, 3 months ago i bought a bay boat....Figured after living here 17 years it was time to sell the bass boat and try this salt thing LOL.
    I like reading about the 10K area and how people are doing......Someone had posted they had a good day around round key, not being specific.....I went and tried the general area out, had a fantastic day. Nice someone shared there experience and it helped me to gather more knowledge of the area and the types of things to look for.
  • BobberBobber Senior Member Posts: 943 Officer
    This used to be a busy little corner of the FS forum with a regular crowd of the usual suspects,forum tournaments and get together. Now the only person I actually know on this section is Gary (makes a mean martini,but do NOT let him on your poling platform). If you are familiar with the FFT out of Flamingo, it was born right here in the 10K. So,would anybody be interested in reviving the old 10K Showdown, meet and greet bragging rights only friendly fishing tournament? Say next April or May?
  • PilchardPilchard Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Officer
    The reason this place is quiet is because most who know the glades well, recognize how special it is. I fish out of Chokoloskee about 50 days a year and wouldn't consider posting anything on here. I like the fact that a 30 mile boat ride through protected waters offers me sight fishing opportunities for my favorite fish... and seeing those fish completely unpressured is an incredible sight.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Senior Member Everglades City/Labelle FLPosts: 774 Officer
    I know I have slacked on getting reports and doing more than being a lurker here. As I moved to Everglades City years back, this forum was a great tool for me to learn my way around the neighborhood. I will make a better effort to post a report or two thru the year and participate more with those that start topics. Would love to have another meet up in 2017 and glad to help whomever wants to organize it
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • BobberBobber Senior Member Posts: 943 Officer
    Glad to see you back, most of us old timers had stopped posting as well. Shame on me,I met a lot of good people and learned a lot through this section.
    New moon on 4/26/17, full on 5/10/17, so maybe a Showdown around a corresponding weekend near those dates? Everybody chime in here, let's make this happen.
    Unless of course ya'll scairt?
    Bobber wrote: »
    Glad to see you back, most of us old timers had stopped posting as well. Shame on me,I met a lot of good people and learned a lot through this section.
    New moon on 4/26/17, full on 5/10/17, so maybe a Showdown around a corresponding weekend near those dates? Everybody chime in here, let's make this happen.

I would be in for this!.....May not be productive but i will count as a body and a boat!!!
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    Bobber wrote: »

This is good . You guys are really what makes these forums work. I really doubt any reports short of giving a GPS number could get anyone to find your spot in all those creeks. :grin
    "You'll get your weather"