Home Egret Boats

(Another) 2017 Moccasin 210 Build Thread

captraycaptray Posts: 52 Greenhorn
After about six years of waiting and being boatless, I was finally able to fulfill a long term goal of mine and have my Egret built.

Having owned and fished on MHP, Ranger, Beavertail, et al, I've run just about everything on the inshore/nearshore spectrum. I also spent a good deal of time on one of the more infamous Egrets on the FS forum of old, but I'll refrain from kicking that anthill and let y'all guess... :Horse

Needless to say, I've wanted to purchase/build an Egret for some time, and I always thought it would be the 18'9". However, after visiting the Egret Factory back in September and sea-trialing the 18'9" and the Moccasin 210 side by side, my mind was changed.

To say that I was impressed with the Moccasin 210 would be an understatement. I still can't believe how well that boat handles for its size. Everything is extremely well thought out in terms of features and options. It also fits my needs better than the 18'9" would have, so again, the decision was pretty easy. Not to take anything away from the 18'9". Obviously, the fit and finish, speed, rod lockers, ability to pole the boat, etc., are all pros of the 18'9".

All ranting and raving aside I'll post pictures and updates as I receive them.

Just received these two last week:

Estimated completion date is mid to late January. Gonna be a long two months. :drink

Specifications

All the standard features have been listed before, so I won't waste space on those...

Options:
  • 200 HP Suzuki (4 cylinder, keyless start, Engine Connection, etc.) and 4-Blade SS Prop
  • Garmin 1040 XS
  • Black Hull (sides)
  • White Rub Rail
  • Livewell behind Leaning Post
  • Transom Bench Seat Cushion and Backrest
  • 4 Welded Rod Holders on Transom Bench Seat Backrest
  • Casting Platform
  • Black Powder Coating
  • Dual 8' Power Pole Blade Series (Black)
  • 24-Volt Minn Kota (Tiller), 2 Batteries, Quick Disconnect
  • Stealth Triple Battery Charger
  • LED Lights under gunnels, etc.
  • Fusion 205 Stereo w/Bluetooth and JL Speakers
  • JL 200 Watt Amp
  • VHF Radio w/digital antenna
  • Custom 5" narrower console (thanks for the idea, Phil!), no rod holders.
  • And of can't forget that "crappy" EZ Loader

:crowd:driver::beer

PS: If anyone has recommendations or numbers on 3-blade props with that boat and motor, I'm all ears. The performance from the 4-blade was awesome, and I will run that primarily... but if I can get a substantial speed bump from a 3-blade for tournament day, that would be a bonus.

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Looks good. It's going to be a long two months....:grin
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 561 Officer
    captray wrote: »

PS: If anyone has recommendations or numbers on 3-blade props with that boat and motor, I'm all ears. The performance from the 4-blade was awesome, and I will run that primarily... but if I can get a substantial speed bump from a 3-blade for tournament day, that would be a bonus.

My Moccasin 210 with a Suzuki DF200A runs a Suzuki 3 x 14 3/4 x 23p prop. I didn't compare any props, Frank had done so and recommended it at the time. However, it was the first Moccasin 210 with a Suzuki 200 and I'm sure he's run a lot more since then. It appears most guys are going with 4-blades now. I may switch to a 4-blade if I ever have $500 burning a hole in my pocket but that is not likely.

I really care more about holeshot and bite more than top speed so if you think you want a 3-blade without paying for a new one, maybe we can work something out where its cost effective to you and enough to put me over the edge and go ahead and buy a new 4-blade.

Top speed on my boat with just me on smooth water is 50-52mpg. Sorry I don't have more numbers, I don't really keep up with them.
  • captraycaptray Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    My Moccasin 210 with a Suzuki DF200A runs a Suzuki 3 x 14 3/4 x 23p prop. I didn't compare any props, Frank had done so and recommended it at the time. However, it was the first Moccasin 210 with a Suzuki 200 and I'm sure he's run a lot more since then. It appears most guys are going with 4-blades now. I may switch to a 4-blade if I ever have $500 burning a hole in my pocket but that is not likely.

I really care more about holeshot and bite more than top speed so if you think you want a 3-blade without paying for a new one, maybe we can work something out where its cost effective to you and enough to put me over the edge and go ahead and buy a new 4-blade.

Top speed on my boat with just me on smooth water is 50-52mpg. Sorry I don't have more numbers, I don't really keep up with them.

TX, thanks for the offer and feedback. I saw 51-52 mph with the 4-blade on the demo boat with Frank, myself, and a full tank of gas (no gear). I'll talk to Frank and see if he has any numbers on other 3-blade performance. I agree on holeshot and bite versus top speed, I'm only looking for the speed boost for tournaments, so it's not a huge necessity.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 561 Officer
    TX, thanks for the offer and feedback. I saw 51-52 mph with the 4-blade on the demo boat with Frank, myself, and a full tank of gas (no gear). I'll talk to Frank and see if he has any numbers on other 3-blade performance. I agree on holeshot and bite versus top speed, I'm only looking for the speed boost for tournaments, so it's not a huge necessity.

Do you know what prop it was running?
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    Do you know what prop it was running?

Mercury Rev 4 in 25 pitch according to Phil.
  • aufan1981aufan1981 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    So you are not getting the leaning post? Will be sitting down like a flats set up?
    aufan1981 wrote: »
    So you are not getting the leaning post? Will be sitting down like a flats set up?

I should've listed it separately, but yes I'm getting the leaning post w/the livewell behind it. No backrest though.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    good luck. I am surprised they only do 52 and glad also for selfish reasons of a race with Phil in the near future.I may have to give him a handicap head start. My sold 2011 hit 69 with a few more hp.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    good luck. I am surprised they only do 52 and glad also for selfish reasons of a race with Phil in the near future.I may have to give him a handicap head start. My sold 2011 hit 69 with a few more hp.

Yeah, assuming that's the "reverse shoe"/whatever the hell people are calling it causing it to lose some mph... but the ride, maintaining plane at low speeds, holeshot, etc., are all more important to me these days than speed... at least non-tournament days. 50+ is enough to get where I need to, although 60 would be nice :dance

On that note, who has the 210 with the 250 Merc and what numbers is that boat getting?
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 951 Officer
    All the standard features have been listed before, so I won't waste space on those...

Options:
    • 200 HP Suzuki (4 cylinder, keyless start, Engine Connection, etc.) and 4-Blade SS Prop
    • Garmin 1040 XS
    • Black Hull (sides)

I would lose the Garmin. No advantage and only disadvantages compared to most alternatives. I speak with at least 5 people every week who run inshore and have recently acquired a new rig or built one and have total buyer's remorse on their Garmin including one or two on this board. Also, Black sides and white rail looks great but is more than twice the work to keep looking good compared to White sides and Black rail. And not as stealthy with dark profile in shallow clear water in bright conditions.
    +2 on the Garmin and the rub rail. I owned the white. You will have to acetone clean it allot.
    I would lose the Garmin. No advantage and only disadvantages compared to most alternatives. I speak with at least 5 people every week who run inshore and have recently acquired a new rig or built one and have total buyer's remorse on their Garmin including one or two on this board. Also, Black sides and white rail looks great but is more than twice the work to keep looking good compared to White sides and Black rail. And not as stealthy with dark profile in shallow clear water in bright conditions.

Appreciate the advice. Live and learn I guess.

In terms of stealth, that's not really a concern in the beautiful, majestic waters of Jacksonville. :)

As far as maintenance goes, I expected as much, but I guess I'll learn the hard way.

I think most everything has been ordered at this point, but I'll ask Frank about the Garmin. What alternatives would you recommend?

Thanks again for the advice.
    Appreciate the advice. Live and learn I guess.

In terms of stealth, that's not really a concern in the beautiful, majestic waters of Jacksonville. :)

As far as maintenance goes, I expected as much, but I guess I'll learn the hard way.

I think most everything has been ordered at this point, but I'll ask Frank about the Garmin. What alternatives would you recommend?

Thanks again for the advice.

Your gps is only as useful as the information you see on the screen. All of the new units are comparable in terms of their capabilities. There is very little substantive difference between any of the machines class to class. Therefore, pick the chart(s) you want to run first and then choose the unit. If you like the Garmin charts and photos the best, then there is no need to reconsider. Just be totally sure because if you get a Garmin, that is the only map choice you will get so if if you don't like it for any reason after the fact you are screwed and have no alternatives. Chances are very high you will be looking to sell it within a few months because their charts are the absolute worst in every respect for Florida. Frank should know better than to recommend Garmin for his inshore customers.
    Your gps is only as useful as the information you see on the screen. All of the new units are comparable in terms of their capabilities. There is very little substantive difference between any of the machines class to class. Therefore, pick the chart(s) you want to run first and then choose the unit. If you like the Garmin charts and photos the best, then there is no need to reconsider. Just be totally sure because if you get a Garmin, that is the only map choice you will get so if if you don't like it for any reason after the fact you are screwed and have no alternatives. Chances are very high you will be looking to sell it within a few months because their charts are the absolute worst in every respect for Florida. Frank should know better than to recommend Garmin for his inshore customers.

Yeah, I'd seen some of the previous posts and I've actually checked out your site and charts before. Good stuff.

I agree that Garmin's charts aren't the best, but I don't really rely on my GPS too much for navigation (again, especially in Jax).

My concerns would have more to do with the fishfinder than anything else.

I'm usually fishing South of Downtown in the St John's or the creeks here and I know the waters extremely well. So, I'd typically use the fishfinder in deeper areas looking for reds and trout, or out at the jetties/beach.

If there are issues with the fishfinder or transducer, I'd like to know...
    There is an issue with their sonar equipment. If you plan to try to use a side scanning option, it was ruled earlier this year that Garmin infringed on a competitor's Navico patents and they were ordered by the feds to stop selling it. I don't know if you get it anymore. Also could be a service issue if you can find it and need it fixed. You can find some write ups about this legal matter on line. When it comes to sonar there is no advantage to garmin over any other brand. Really, for boats, I cant think of a single characteristic where the Garmin is better than the alternatives. They tie on all bullet points at best. Most people get it just because its a famous name assuming it will be sufficient but once they start using it in practical application, they realize they should have chosen something else.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Simply put - it seems that you do not want to hear what everyone is telling you - the garmin is not the way to go. Sonar sucks, charts suck. You should get a navico unit. For charts, the fmt are the best.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    Simply put - it seems that you do not want to hear what everyone is telling you - the garmin is not the way to go. Sonar sucks, charts suck. You should get a navico unit. For charts, the fmt are the best.

**** man? Could I have been more gracious in my "thank you for your advice" and "really appreciate it" tone?

I knew Egret owners had a reputation, but jesus...

I'm not ignoring or crapping on anyone's advice whatsoever. All I said was I live in Jax and the water is muddy as can be. I also said that I know my home waters well and I don't need to see grass beds to catch fish. I've used Garmin, Lowrance, and Humminbird in the past. Never had issues with any of them.

I never even asked for advice on GPS, I asked about prop numbers and was bombarded with people crapping on my hull and rub rail color decisions.

"Simply put", I already made both of my payments to Frank, and I don't want to cut another check for the additional $1-2k that the Simrad costs. Y'all need to chill.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Welcome to the forum. Everybody here's a [email protected]#$^^king expert. Next thing that you're going to get $!@$#it for is the trailer....Just ask Flatsboy.

There are are few the really know their stuff and offer their honest advise. Congrats on your trashy Moccasin white rub railed wanna be Egret.

Those two months will be here before you know it. The one thing I can say is it's your boat, you're the one paying for it and the only one that has to like it.
    Again, congratulations on your new ride.Even if you do have a sh!!!ty GPS and trailer.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Forget the Garmin. Trust me. I lived and learned. Just the images alone make the FMT well worth it. That thing has literally led to me putting fish in the boat. Plus you get the tracks which means access to new areas and safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FMT does not run on Garmin, and Garmin's chips do nothing for you.

Welcome to the forum. Everybody here's a [email protected]#$^^king expert. Next thing that you're going to get $!@$#it for is the trailer....Just ask Flatsboy.

There are are few the really know their stuff and offer their honest advise. Congrats on your trashy Moccasin white rub railed wanna be Egret.

Those two months will be here before you know it. The one thing I can say is it's your boat, you're the one paying for it and the only one that has to like it.
    Again, congratulations on your new ride.Even if you do have a sh!!!ty GPS and trailer.

:cool::applause
    Pete has a way with words.

You sure you're not from New York?:grin
    Here are some actual fish we would not have caught without the FMT. Two of many. F a Garmin.

b31bed26f62656ecd15aa1b92ff98867.jpg377136721aa56ff6bfdbf29687e39ea6.jpg

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Here are some actual fish we would not have caught without the FMT. Two of many. F a Garmin.

b31bed26f62656ecd15aa1b92ff98867.jpg377136721aa56ff6bfdbf29687e39ea6.jpg

Wonderful...Post pictures of a nice fish on the Egret Forum on a [email protected]$#king Trader Boat. It's a nice boat but it's still a trader boat:grin Please lets get his back to what it's is a Boat Build Thread.
    Wonderful...Post pictures of a nice fish on the Egret Forum on a [email protected]$#king Trader Boat. It's a nice boat but it's still a trader boat:grin Please lets get his back to what it's is a Boat Build Thread.

Where is the fistbump emoji? :Horse
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Yeah, assuming that's the "reverse shoe"/whatever the hell people are calling it causeing it to lose some mph... but the ride, maintaining plane at low speeds, holeshot, etc., are all more important to me these days than speed... at least non-tournament days. 50+ is enough to get where I need to, although 60 would be nice :dance

On that note, who has the 210 with the 250 Merc and what numbers is that boat getting?

There were only two Moccasin's built with the 2011 padded bottom. One in Miami Black Hull with a 250 Pro XS on it and a Gray one in Louisiana which is in Texas now also with a 250 Pro XS. The boats ran about 65 to 68 max. They are not as fast as the 2011 due to the balance and placement of the console and fuel tanks being more mid ship compared to the 2011 being more aft. So if you put a 250 hp on a standard Moccasin bottom with the reverse shoe it will not run as fast as the 2011 Moccasin bottom at all. This defeats the purpose of the different design of this model. From what I understand the Padded bottom is not offered in a Moccasin any longer. Hope this helps.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    There were only two Moccasin's built with the 2011 padded bottom. One in Miami Black Hull with a 250 Pro XS on it and a Gray one in Louisiana which is in Texas now also with a 250 Pro XS. The boats ran about 65 to 68 max. They are not as fast as the 2011 due to the balance and placement of the console and fuel tanks being more mid ship compared to the 2011 being more aft. So if you put a 250 hp on a standard Moccasin bottom with the reverse shoe it will not run as fast as the 2011 Moccasin bottom at all. This defeats the purpose of the different design of this model. From what I understand the Padded bottom is not offered in a Moccasin any longer. Hope this helps.

You running a database for Egret ?

I have the only "Trader Boat" , this is "Trader Boat II".