11/19 Jupiter - 2/2 on Sails and motor issues

Finally got out yesterday...haven't been able to get a weather window since before the storm, and haven't had my boat out in a while, usually end up on other boats.

Got a dozen gogs from Matt, hit the inlet around 7. Inlet was flat, things quickly escalated from there to some short snotty wind chop. The farther out we got, the windier, steeper and snottier it was, but not intolerable. Trolled out a ways, small flyers busting everywhere, birds working...but no fish to be seen. After trolling out to 300 or so and back in, set up some live bait lines in about 250 ft. Picked up two very pissed off sails, both in 230-270ish. Had some fun and got lots of jumps. Mine was weird, he headed straight for the bottom and took a long time to come up before he decided to get arial. I thought it got sharked or something the way it went straight down. Both were revived and released.

By about 9am, my 200 2-stroke Johnson was sounding sick and not happy. Couldn't keep an idle, RPMS all over the place, when I'd push it I'd only get about 2500-3000 rpms and couldn't get on plane. Maxed out around 8 knots. With the wind/seas building, we finally pulled the plug around 11 and limped home. Drifted the remainder of our gogs in the inlet, got a sweet hookup with a decent tarpon that flew about 10 feet out of the air and spit it out. Nice to get out, sails are definitely here, and now I'm off to figure out whats up with my motor :(.
Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
[email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,413 Captain
    Great job on the Sails and later, jumping the Tarpon too.
    As for the sick motor... sounds like it's a fuel issue - not sure if your motor has a VST, but that's where I'd begin to look.
    Good luck! :fishing

Pura Vida!
  • on deckon deck Posts: 647 Officer
    Great job on the Sails and later, jumping the Tarpon too.
    As for the sick motor... sounds like it's a fuel issue - not sure if your motor has a VST, but that's where I'd begin to look.
    Good luck! :fishing

Yup...Check your Racor.
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 609 Officer
    Ya, thanks...I'll be going through both filters and the obvious stuff. Just replaced the power pack and all the coils last month...that motor is weird it acts very similar running on 5 cylinders with a bad coil as it does with fuel issues.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    MakoLogic wrote: »
    Ya, thanks...I'll be going through both filters and the obvious stuff. Just replaced the power pack and all the coils last month...that motor is weird it acts very similar running on 5 cylinders with a bad coil as it does with fuel issues.

You can also have a problem under the flywheel. The electronics there sometimes go bad. Spark plug wires too.

Basic first troubleshooting on those things for me starts with puling off the spark plug wires one at a time while the motor is running to see which cylinders are firing. All right side cylinders or all left side cylinders bad, usually means a power pack (if it's a 2 power pack motor). Both top or both bottom or both center cylinders usually means a stuck float bowl valve if you have carbs. A single cylinder out can be a number of different things. At that point, I start swapping coils, pickups, etc. until the problem moves. All of this assumes good compression across the board.

What year is the motor?
    It's a 2000 ocean pro. Just replaced power pack and coils, but I put CDI coils on. Zeke's told me they are crap and often go out even when new. That's where I'm starting, most likely culprit. I'll try the one spark wire at a time thing though. I was thinking fuel because every now and then it would pick up but the guy at Zekes said sometimes those cheap coils come and go. Compression is ok last time I checked. A couple were a little lower but the mechanic said those older Johnson's are more tolerant.
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    When you find the bad cylinder, swap coils between a good one & the bad one & see if the problem moves. That will test to see if the coil is the problem.

I've had more power pack problems on old Johnsons than anything else.

I've had no problems with CDI so far.

Also check for cruddy wires, loose connections, bad grounds, etc.

Look at your spark plugs. If 5 are even & 1 is very white, that indicates fuel starvation (& lube starvation) to that one cylinder. Most likely cause of that is a stuck float valve or plugged jet.

...2000 Johnson 200 OP - I'll assume that's a looper, right?
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,040 Captain
    Listen to Jim he knows his stuff on those Johnsons.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
    Yes good stuff. I can do some work on them but it's always trial and error... Will mess with it when I get back in town. Thanks for the tips. Yes I think it's a looper....
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 769 Officer
    Prior to this was your engine turning top end RPM's? I have a different engine although always was over propped and although fast, good hole shot, never turned more than 4000 RPM's which caused a carbon buildup with very similar symptoms. Changed props, some engine treatment and always run in last fifteen minutes full throttle, problem solved.

Good luck, very frustrating when your supposed to have fun.