Yankee Capts Mutton Marathon 11/10/16

Sorry, better late then never. (BTW, I don't profess to be a good photographer.)

Things finally lined up for a good 3 day mutton marathon on the Yankee Capts; no hurricanes on the horizon, in fact the weather forecast looked ideal, my bait guy said he had my gogs ready to go, my gear was all cleaned, checked (at least 3 times) and loaded into the truck, I was cleared to go, no emergency room visits or hospital stays for at least 2 weeks, although I did have to stop at the lab for a blood draw on the way out of town. (October wasn't a good month for me health-wise but that's a story for another time.) I made good time, traffic was surprisingly light, arriving at the Yankee around 4:30. Even though I was earlier then I expected there were already several people who had unloaded their gear. Soon my gear joined their's on the dock and there was nothing to do but have dinner at the HogFish and wait until it was time to load. Once it was time to load, the mates earned their keep, lugging cooler after cooler onto the upper deck. Each loaded with enough food, drinks, bait and ice for 3 days. Once we got under way, the smooth ride and cool AC made for ideal sleeping conditions.
Our first stop was around 5:30 am in about 150', I think. It wasn't long before the sun made it's presence known. I believe there were only 18 people on board so there was plenty of room to fish where ever you wanted. In fact it could get down right lonely at times.

The first few stops were dominated by large yellow tail snapper. After that Greg started hunting for more fertile ground. There was quite a variety of fish caught through out the trip. There were kingfish, cobia, red, black and scamp grouper, an African Pompano, Amber Jack, lane snapper, Blackfin Tuna, and of course mutton snapper. We had to leave one spot in about 220' because all we could catch were large red snapper.

Unfortunately once I start fishing I usually forget about taking pictures so I don't have many fish pictures.

The sunset was just as colorful as the sunrise. There were a few brave souls still fishing at 3 am when I got up to go to the bathroom.

Steadily picking at the fish throughout the trip led to some nice looking fish boxes.

Being on the ocean can lead to wonderful memories such as the super moon reflecting off the water. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and it wasn't long before we were headed back into Stock Island.

The mates once again earned their keep helping people bring coolers and gear off the boat. Mean while the FWC was hard at work measuring and cataloging our catch.

Once everyone got all their gear off the boat and coolers lined up it time for the fish toss.

I ended up with a decent catch (for me). I had a nice cobia, a black fin tuna, a red grouper, 6-7 decent mutton, a large mangrove snapper, a stringer of yellow tails (and 257 sharks.) I think high hook had 12 -14 mutton and the big black won the pool. Greg and crew did their usual outstanding job making the trip enjoyable as ever. Although this picture is from another trip, Briso watched over things and made sure everything was running smoothly.

Replies

• SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    Nice! Man about 9am Thursday I saw the forecast and the limited load on the trip ans I gave some serious thought to rushing home to grab my gear and heading south. I wish I would have!!
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 875 Officer
    Sounds like it was yet another wonderful Yankee Capt. trip. It was nice that you finally got calmer seas.
    Not surprising that the Black won big fish. It was a real Oinker.

You and Cameron are both great with your write-ups. They have a way of making you feel like either you were there... or at least wishing that you were there. Well done.
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 509 Officer
    Glad you are feeling better Bob. Great story. See you out there soon.
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,893 Captain
    Looks like a great trip and some good eats thanks for the report.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,473 Captain
    Northern wrote: »
    You and Cameron are both great with your write-ups. They have a way of making you feel like either you were there... or at least wishing that you were there. Well done.

X-2

Nice write up and Pics Bob. Good job on the catching too.
    Congrats.

Pura Vida!
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Nice report Bob,can't wait to get back out there myself .
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,113 Officer
    Great trip. Thanks for the report, I miss being out there with Greg and crew as the good old times. If anyone is undecided to get on this boat don't think twice your in good hands. Very profesional Capt and crew and you'll have a great time and they are good hearted people, that want you to catch fish and do all posible to make it happen. I've known this since the 80's and it's worth it. Tight lines and great fishing
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 553 Officer
    Thanks for posting, and awesome job on the fish. I love these reports.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,474 Captain
    greg duz not mess around- he gets u on the fish!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 883 Officer
    Thanks for taking the time to write up a report Bob. I is always a pleasure to have you onboard.

Greg