Gusty winter conditions gets 3 for 6 Gags? on the troll

swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
FS member Winderbill graciously invited me on a trolling gag grouper mission starting at 9am and under his direction we braved the intense NNE wind and rescued 3 keeper gags to enjoy a quiet slumber in our ice bath and an immortal memory. Being new to this grouper digging/hunting, EVERYTHING HERE IS ABSOLUTLY TRUE. ….and we have pics to prove it. We felt like pioneers at first as there were no other boats to be seen….except for a CG vessel steaming east. This is a 2 beer story but the short version is …..Initially 2 keeper 27” Gags (we’re pumped!!!), then a measured short, then a keeper 25+” Gag , a huge hit that straightened out the hook and 1 more short. As the day went on conditions lessoned and the sun came out….called it a winner at 2pm. Sweet day….Nice to be on the grouper hero horse again but I have to give credit to WINDERBILL! Thanks Bill…… great day
"Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 567 Officer
    Very Nice!
  • IAMIAM Posts: 234 Officer
    Sweet gaggies!
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Great day, Pete! Funny, as I was driving home crossing the Skyway, the wind had completely laid down and the bay looked calm. Thanks for the company and assistance. :fishing
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    Well done gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    nice catch!! how deep were yall trolling???
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Baja280 wrote: »
    nice catch!! how deep were yall trolling???
    30-36 went back yesterday for a few hours in the afternoon, nadda! Just shorts��
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    We trolled plugs in 25-32 with nothing so moved into 12-17 and caught 7 with 1 keeper.

What lures were you using?
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Trolled a couple of hours of Sand Key/Bellaire Beach on Thursday. Nailed a 30" gag on my only strike, pulling a 6" Rapala in 20' of water. For me, it was a successful day -- my first grouper trolling. Plus several feeding dolphins on the ICW and two turtles to watch. I'm easily satisfied.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    jdl1948 wrote: »
    Trolled a couple of hours of Sand Key/Bellaire Beach on Thursday. Nailed a 30" gag on my only strike, pulling a 6" Rapala in 20' of water. For me, it was a successful day -- my first grouper trolling. Plus several feeding dolphins on the ICW and two turtles to watch. I'm easily satisfied.

A 30" gag on the troll is a heart pounding, rod bending stud.....sweeet
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Yes it was. I had 3 lines behind the boat. I actually thought I was hung up and cleared the other two before getting back to the bent rod, when I felt the head shake for sure; the fish fought very strong and was even pulling the boat while still in gear at minimum throttle. As luck would have it, the two rods I had to clear out of the way were boat rods, but the fish hit on spinning gear. Quite a handful.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Nice report and thanks for the short version. Too many War and Peace novels here already. I'm going to give the grouper trolling my first try on Sunday