11/11/16 - Palm Beach To Boynton- Wahoo/Dolphin/Skippys- BEATING THE DEAD HORSE

Went on our usual wahoo mission our of PBI. Nothing all morning trolled from the inlet to the Juno Pier. Nothing I mean nothing biting. Heard of some wahoo the afternoon before in Boynton so we decided to blast offshore and head south. Found a seat cushion in around 1000ft. Trolled by and there were many dolphin 10 to 20lbs plus swimming under it. BOOM everything we spend $100's on fuel to find. Well these bastards would not touch a thing! Trolled every lure type and bait type picked up a couple small guys but even they were hard to land just didn't want to 100% eat the bait. So we switched gears and started throwing chunks at them. NOTHING. Got one little one to bite and thought that would get them fired up. NOPE. Threw mullet, squid, sardines, fresh ballyhoo, even chunked up a tuna and they would not touch a **** thing. Live bait may of worked but they way these fish were I am not even sure. Picked up and left feeling completely depressed! Made it to BBI and started trolling north in search of the man we came to find. By now its 4:00 and we have been fishing since 6AM. BEAT THE DEAD HORSE and it will come to life my buddy always says. Take a lot of patience and mind control to do I will tell you. Well at 4:30 300ft north of lake worth pier we got the hit we been waiting for. We knew it was him right away and me and my buddy Mr.Mullet's (Doug Hansen) went to work. Fish did not want to come to the surface and gave us hell boatside but teamwork payed off and we got him in the cooler! Hardwork+persistence+luck= Wahoo! Ended up with 5 small dolphin, 3 tuna, and a nice wahoo!

Replies

• johnalkijohnalki Posts: 503 Officer
    WOW nice catch and putting in a full day paid off.COGRATS
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,413 Captain
    There's truth in the phrase 'Persistence pays off' - or as your buddy says, Beat the dead Horse & it will come to life. Congrats man, great catch and inspiring teamwork to boot! :fishing

Pura Vida!
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,348 Admiral
    Impressive!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,401 Officer
    Way to go,nice catch!!
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    Great catch! Way to persist and make it happen! What did the wahoo eat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Ryanmc6884Ryanmc6884 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    A Mr.Mullets rigged Mullet naked. You can find them at your local tackle store. If they don't carry them tell them they need to!

Here is their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Mullets/?fref=ts
  • AftershockAftershock Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Great job! Nice reward for putting in a "full half day" as we used to call it.
  • LiveSouthFLLiveSouthFL Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Great day & congrats on the variety of species. I'm heading out of Boca tomorrow morning & hoping to find the man in the striped suit or at least some BFT's...
    Ed Moore
    Broker-Owner
    Live South Florida Realty, Inc.
    LiveSouthFL.com

*FREE MLS app for your mobile device: Text EDMOORE to 87778 or visit: http://87778.mobi/EDMOORE/
  • lunkermanlunkerman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    way to keep at it bro. I love those days when I actually have time to say "Im Not leaving until I get what Im looking for".
    Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gator AlGator Al Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Good job sticking with it and coming up with the hoo. For the fish that won't bite, insurance policy = mask, snorkel, longfins and gun. :wink
  • Boca KrisBoca Kris Posts: 129 Deckhand
    That's a day Papa himself would be proud of. Nice job pushing through!