Homosassa inshore

Recently moved from Cocoa to Homosassa, been doing a little fishing over here over the last few years. Now full time here and doing a bit of fishing and learning the water.
Fished Saturday afternoon with a couple of friends. Started out with artificial, caught a few small mango snapper, put a couple lady fish in the cooler, then swapped tactics, pitching cut bait to points. Weeded through the usual catfish and ended up with 3 reds and one wee snook(8 inches). A friend caught a prop scarred red fish, that was a first for me.
ECAA075D-7DA5-4F0D-8AF5-4144BFBB7A21.jpg

Sunday afternoon, my wife and I went out with the same plan in mind. After a few lady fish were on ice, we fished a shoreline with artificials. Wife handed my **** to me. 2 trout and a snook. After the snook we tried to get her a red to round out the inshore slam. She picked up another trout but no reds. I ended up with 2 reds. Not too shabby for a couple hours of fishing each afternoon.
D742E14F-95C3-43FD-9C30-2C7995456998.jpg

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,429 Captain
    Nice work WSP. I've seen a bunch of scarred up reds, but never like that. Thanks for the report. Was the water chilly?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,335 Officer
    Nice
    Oops
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
    Thanks for the report. Thought a flipper bite at first but too even .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    That's likely from an eagle strike. They trail their hind claw in the water like a gaff hook. If the fish is too big, it just rolls them over and leaves a mark like that if the claw pulls out. Ospreys leave multiple wounds when they miss a fish because they get right down in the water and try to grab the fish with multiple claws.

I used to see that kind of mark on trout out west fairly often. Eagles with strike at near anything that isn't moving too fast.
    That's likely from an eagle strike. They trail their hind claw in the water like a gaff hook. If the fish is too big, it just rolls them over and leaves a mark like that if the claw pulls out. Ospreys leave multiple wounds when they miss a fish because they get right down in the water and try to grab the fish with multiple claws.

I used to see that kind of mark on trout out west fairly often. Eagles with strike at near anything that isn't moving too fast.

3 evenly spaced parallel lacerations that far apart?
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 206 Deckhand
    I thought flipper at first but only on one side and 3 evenly spaced, ruled that out. Never thought about a bird strike, that explains some marks I have seen before.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Way too far apart to be from a Bald Eagle's talons.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    I only saw the center slice in the picture. Now I'm stumped.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,610 Captain
    Welcome to the area. Nice trips. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,545 Captain
    I think he was right, looks like a prop.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nice....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead