Home General Paddle Craft

Show your power-paddle rig and setup

Whats up everyone? I thought it'd be cool to show what you have done to your SUP or paddle board and why? I was thinking of adding lights without buying premade rig that can run over $300 but don't know how to power and wire it.

This is my new baby a BOTE Packham. Setup my bait bucket/seat with a standard 5 dollar bucket and strong top from home depot. I just drilled in some metal clips for the aerator and bungie tie downs. I got a great deal on the cooler bag from Engel and tackle rack. I am probably going to make something to store a tackle box or two on the rack also. I have seen one but it looks like it takes away from using the TR as a leaning post.

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 670 Officer
    I paddle a simple Riviera Voyager, its a recreational touring/downwind style board, weighs 36 pounds with the added 8" deck hatch, carry handles, tie-down points and fin attached. Due to its design is a bit noisy in any chop but for stand-up sight fishing it works great compared to my SOT ScupperPro kayak or Wenonah kevlar solo canoe.
    I generally carry a push pole and the paddle and depending on depth I prefer to pole... (pole not in photo). I have modified the cooler/drybox adding Scotty style rod holders to the back side and removing the side rocket launcher style rod holders (found when poling I hit the reel to often on the side's)

IMGP0940.jpg

I also had use of a borrowed DragonFly 13'6" for several months and its the mercedes version of a fishing SUP, but over my weight limit for both humping to/from/on/off the car or I'd own one. When I hit the lottery I'll have DragonFly build me a lightweight carbon fiber version.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • JCrove06JCrove06 Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Nice looking setup where do you like to fish?
    Mainly Biscayne Bay... if Ft. Pierce was not so long of a drive I'd hit Round Island area on these East wind weeks.
  • Jfos77Jfos77 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Hello , here is a photo of my rig... set up for fishing the west coast of Florida... Most of my fishing is for tarpon in the summers.. made my own rocket launcher... strong enough to let the fish run, pulling the rod out when im ready after the fish is hooked.  I can actually lean against it while im standing in rough seas or swell, trolling 2 lines , pretty much anything...
    [IMG][/img]15yzsi8.jpg
    idk rig...looks really stable...where do you like to fish and for what on that bad boy?
  • Jfos77Jfos77 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    LIVE L2 FISH... i am normally 200-600 yards from the beach. I like to catch anything big, right now its kingfish.
    That's sick...I have seen those boards and they definitely look really stable. I am really looking forward to getting into paddle fishing. I grew up fishing from shore in the canals for peacock and largemouth, then was lucky enough to have a boat in the family, and have been fishing from shore for a while since it was sold...until I recently got the SUP.

As far as fishing from Biscayne Krash if you're ever up to meet up let me know! I live in Miami so Biscayne Bay is just a hope, skip, and a jump away. I've been looking into events for paddle boarding in the area. There is actually a breast cancer benefit this weekend in Virginia Key by the Miami Rowing Club. They are expecting a lot of people, they will be hosting races, happy hours, music, and bbq. It should be a good time and for a good cause. I signed up for the short race. Hopefully I don't make a complete A$$ of myself.:Sinking

https://www.facebook.com/events/121536888300341/

Let me know if anyone is interested.I think it would be cool to get some people together who like to fish. This way you can go farther, share knowledge, and be safer as well.

All the best!:fishing
  • Dragonfly 13' 6"
    I keep forgetting to take photos of my board in use. I have a Scotty fender ring attached to a short extender arm on one of the tracks. I use that to clip on my tether for a drift anchor, stake out pole and 1.5 lbs. anchor. The arm makes it possible to adjust the orientation of the board. I have a Scotty rod rest up front for sight casting. It doubles as a cradle for my paddle when I need to make quick cast.
  • silentquestsilentquest Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Dragonfly 13' 6"
    I keep forgetting to take photos of my board in use. I have a Scotty fender ring attached to a short extender arm on one of the tracks. I use that to clip on my tether for a drift anchor, stake out pole and 1.5 lbs. anchor. The arm makes it possible to adjust the orientation of the board. I have a Scotty rod rest up front for sight casting. It doubles as a cradle for my paddle when I need to make quick cast.

Got some great ideas for the 13.6 for the board I have on order. Like the rod/paddle rest up front. Thank you for posting it. When I get it I'll post pics here.
    Silent... if you just ordered one you might want to look into the larger hatch compartment like Pete had put in his... that 5" is ok but a bit more space in that hatch would be nice. Also if you plan to pole I'd look into having DF install them for you... Once that hull is assembled its not easy to get inside to add any kind of backing plate, fender washer, or nuts to bolts or anything.

Check some of PalmBeachPete's videos he has been fishing the DF longer than most.

FishTheFuture
    krash wrote: »
    Silent... if you just ordered one you might want to look into the larger hatch compartment like Pete had put in his... that 5" is ok but a bit more space in that hatch would be nice. Also if you plan to pole I'd look into having DF install them for you... Once that hull is assembled its not easy to get inside to add any kind of backing plate, fender washer, or nuts to bolts or anything.

Check some of PalmBeachPete's videos he has been fishing the DF longer than most.

FishTheFuture

Thanks Buddy. I have spoken with Pete a couple of times and have shamelessly copied some of his ideas. Having 3 sets of gear tracks installed. 1 set for front bungee, 1 set for rod holders, and 1 set for rear bungees. Also instead of the 1 hole for securing the cooler, I had a recessed gear track installed there so I could easily change the position of the cooler. I have also ordered the shoebox sized hatch up front. I had a 13.6 before the Bote board I had and are putting things I've learned and plagiarized into the new one. haha.
    Haven't fished with Pete yet but hoping to have the privilege some day. He's a great guy and very willing to help.
    That's cool. Do you carry two paddles on that dragon fly? I've thought about getting a kayak paddle for when I'm sitting down
    JCrove06 wrote: »
    That's cool. Do you carry two paddles on that dragon fly? I've thought about getting a kayak paddle for when I'm sitting down

I use an adjustable paddle, its still full carbon and light but a couple ounces heavier than no-adjustable, for that reason. Its quick and simple to adjust and only need one paddle. I had a DF (borrowed) for a few month's and started out with a kayak paddle did not like standing and paddling with the kayak paddle, then changed to a carbon sup paddle but did not like choking up and hitting rods and stuff with the extra length, went to an adjustable SUP paddle and liked that option much better.
    But found that the expensive carbon paddle was not the best option for pushing/poling and now carry the adjustable sup paddle for paddling and a push pole for poling. Extra stuff just makes for a busy or cluttered deck.

Silent, I meant to say have DF install some sort of push pole holder's if you plan to pole, but the gear track's are a great idea also.
    I don't even fly fish but I really like a clean smoth empty forward deck also, and thats tru on my kayak, canoe, and sup.
    JCrove06 wrote: »

Thanks! This is what I do. I carry just a kayak paddle. It is an adjustable bending branches paddle. Here is a link to it.
    https://bendingbranches.com/kayak-paddles/fishing/angler-pro/plus
    When I need to travel fast or far I sit on the deck and kayak paddle with the paddle in the shortest configuration. When I want to sit on my cooler and paddle, something I do pretty often, I adjust the kayak paddle to the longest configuration to make it comfortable to paddle. Bending Branches makes this incredibility easy and fast. When I stand up and paddle/pole I just use the paddle in the longest configuration and grip one of the blades to SUP paddle. Easy. If I can reach the bottom, I pole with the paddle. If not I paddle.
    I've tried carrying a pole but didn't want an extra "thing" on the deck that I had to find a place for when I wasn't using it. I tried the paddle with the various attachments to convert to an SUP paddle or a stake out pole but same issue. This system works for me but I guess I'm a kayaker at heart. I want all the advantages of a kayak with all the advantages of a SUP.
    I have a setup also so that if I spot that red I want to cast to I can lay down my paddle and pick up my rod in one motion without taking my eyes off the fish.
    The other issue is stopping the boat in time. I have tried stake out poles and have 2. I just don't like carrying a stake out pole. My anchor is a jetski anchor the type that you fill with sand or rocks and is heavy yellow plastic material of some kind. I put 2 soft dive weights in there and seal the top so they wont come out. I also used a hole puncher and punch a lot of little holes in it so it will drain quickly. I've used this for years and it works great for me. It doesn't scratch the deck and is utterly silent. A stake out pole can be noisy to stick in the bottom and the abrupt stop can throw me off balance if not ready for it.

Hope some of this helps. Just experiment like I did and you will find the system that works for you.