SI catwalk fishermen

The morons succeeded at getting the north jetty shut down for night time fishing because of their antics... so they seemed to moved to the north catwalk.

Friday night while drifting through the fenders we had people, who were standing on the north fender, throwing lead over the boat or within just a couple feet of us. I talked to one other boat there that had the same experience.

Is having a paintball gun aboard to protect ourselves the wrong idea? :shrug

We didn't have to deal with the morons for long as we found many a solid fish well west of where they could reach.
Here's one...
Signature

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,264 AG
    Soon the park will be closed at night.... because some just cannot behave.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 923 Officer
    Someone is going to get shot, for real.
    This crap has to end.
  • terrapinterrapin Posts: 119 Deckhand
    At least they were just "throwing" the lead. Years ago, while shrimping in Miami, two guys were just walking along the bridge above us, when one starting shooting at the floats on my net. I suppose that's what he was shooting at, he may have been shooting at the boat and was missing. It was close enough that we felt in fear of our lives. No gun with us and no phone. Nothing to do but duck. I'm not too sure about the paintball gun, it may just escalate, you did the safer thing and moved.
    Nice fish btw.
  • Kapt.HookKapt.Hook Posts: 431 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Soon the park will be closed at night.... because some just cannot behave.

hopefully
    IMG_1519.jpg
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Is having a paintball gun aboard to protect ourselves the wrong idea? :shrug

Not if you freeze the paintballs first ...:willynilly
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,482 Officer
    Go to wally-world and get a super-soaker water cannon and a couple quarts of parsons ammonia to stoke it with.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to "awaken them" to the fact that what they are doing isn't appreciated.:wink :grin

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    That is very **** if someone actually climbed out on the fender. I would imagine the other anglers on the catwalk may not be so keen on that either. I think its pretty sad there is this anti shore angler sentiment across the board. There's just as many a holes with boats. I can come on here and post the same kind of rhetoric. I was chunking bucktails from the rocks and had a boat come thru and start trolling plugs right in the area he saw me casting. Rude....

I have had guys come up and anchor in an area we've been throwing bucktails for an hour, well before they showed up. It goes both ways.
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 310 Deckhand
    There are guys that are out on the fenders all the time at night. Have to agree with Chad, there are a holes by land and sea......
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,346 Officer
    Chad wrote: »
    That is very **** if someone actually climbed out on the fender. I would imagine the other anglers on the catwalk may not be so keen on that either. I think its pretty sad there is this anti shore angler sentiment across the board. There's just as many a holes with boats. I can come on here and post the same kind of rhetoric. I was chunking bucktails from the rocks and had a boat come thru and start trolling plugs right in the area he saw me casting. Rude....

I have had guys come up and anchor in an area we've been throwing bucktails for an hour, well before they showed up. It goes both ways.

I have had the same issues several times.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I have had the same issues several times.

Yep, fishing off the spoil shoal at the NW end of Haulover Canal a few years back - soaking pinfish for monster reds - had a group of drunk bastards in a pontoon boat purposely back up over my line..... I hope he enjoyed the 100 yards of 15 lb power pro wrapped around his prop. Karma though was just this day because not being a local they didn't realize how far out of the channel they were at that point. Nor could they see the line of spoil shoals I guess. Got stuck about 100 yards later.........couldn't push it off against the wind........not to mention they were standing in two foot of muck.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I used to fish Sebastian years ago.......but never really enjoyed that type of crowded shore fishing. Later when I had a flats boat preferred to put in a Wabasso...........heading south working the bridges and lighted docks off the channel at night. Primarily to avoid the jet skiers and Sunday boaters.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • vincent vegavincent vega Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Was drifting the fender a few weeks ago and all of the sudden had braid across my
    Body and fishing rods that were upright. Took a minute to figure out what was going on when I saw a guy standing on the north fender. He had cast over us and his braid was all caught up on myself and friend. Luckily we keep a knife handy and cut it before it cut into us or broke any of our rods. He Had the nerve to yell at me and asked why we cut his line.
    Was drifting the fender a few weeks ago and all of the sudden had braid across my
    Body and fishing rods that were upright. Took a minute to figure out what was going on when I saw a guy standing on the north fender. He had cast over us and his braid was all caught up on myself and friend. Luckily we keep a knife handy and cut it before it cut into us or broke any of our rods. He Had the nerve to yell at me and asked why we cut his line.

So here's 2 reports now of someone on the fender. How about this - you guys that are reporting the fender activity - how about you program the park number in your phone 321.984.4852

Next time you see someone on the fender, call the park and tell them. It will take 30 seconds. They will send a park employee out and get the guys name. They will suspend them from the park if it persists. Or you could come on here and make vague and broad accusations.

Here's a first hand report from Wed nite before thanksgiving - I had no less than 4 boats consistently motoring up well within casting range and tread water and/or troll plugs, stow gear. They got asked very nicely about 3 times for some space. Some obliged, some didn't, some were clueless. Several of the boaters were also yelling at each other.

In all honestly it seems to me the boaters cause more issues than the shore anglers (climbing out on the fenders withstanding).

PS - the bite was good. While the Key Largo Kook treaded water in everyone's way (other boats included) I caught several keepers between him and the shore.....the guys in the boats that knew what they were doing were also doing good.
  • vincent vegavincent vega Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Chad wrote: »
    So here's 2 reports now of someone on the fender. How about this - you guys that are reporting the fender activity - how about you program the park number in your phone 321.984.4852

Next time you see someone on the fender, call the park and tell them. It will take 30 seconds. They will send a park employee out and get the guys name. They will suspend them from the park if it persists. Or you could come on here and make vague and broad accusations.

Here's a first hand report from Wed nite before thanksgiving - I had no less than 4 boats consistently motoring up well within casting range and tread water and/or troll plugs, stow gear. They got asked very nicely about 3 times for some space. Some obliged, some didn't, some were clueless. Several of the boaters were also yelling at each other.

In all honestly it seems to me the boaters cause more issues than the shore anglers (climbing out on the fenders withstanding).

PS - the bite was good. While the Key Largo Kook treaded water in everyone's way (other boats included) I caught several keepers between him and the shore.....the guys in the boats that knew what they were doing were also doing good.

FYI those same boaters that engage in that type of behavior **** off boaters that know what they are doing as well. Not only do they get in the way of land anglers they get in other boaters way just as much. It's very frustrating but it's the price of fishing the inlet these days. The new fad of trolling plugs really jams it up especially this time of year when bait gets tough and lots of boats in there at one time trolling.

It's not really a land angler vs boat angler if you ask me. It's more a problem of a few people being idiots or not knowing what they are doing.
    FYI those same boaters that engage in that type of behavior **** off boaters that know what they are doing as well. Not only do they get in the way of land anglers they get in other boaters way just as much. It's very frustrating but it's the price of fishing the inlet these days. The new fad of trolling plugs really jams it up especially this time of year when bait gets tough and lots of boats in there at one time trolling.

It's not really a land angler vs boat angler if you ask me. It's more a problem of a few people being idiots or not knowing what they are doing.

well said and I agree. The reason I am pointing out the boaters is that there's some anti-shore angler sentiment in this forum from boaters between some comments in this thread and the N jetty closure thread. People insinuating that they'd like to see the entire park closed after dark, the "you did it to yourselves, its only a matter of time" type comments. As a respectful shore and boat angler, just want to make sure to point out the rudeness on both sides.....
  • J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    Saw someone motoring about 20' in front of the catwalks and trolling plugs back under them in an outgoing tide the other night. That was a first.