Wahoo, Snapper and two encounters with a broken telephone pole

CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 860 Officer
We had been planning another wahoo/deep drop trip since our last trip three weeks ago. Mother nature finally gave us a break. We cleared the Inlet last Saturday approx. 6:30am to take advantage of a very brief "weather window".
Surprisingly there was a lot of boat traffic including a cruise ship that was heading into the port. The skies were overcast and the ocean a bit on the sloppy side. In other words, I was distracted and couldn't see that well. Enough excuses. At about 15 knots I felt "something'' roll under the boat. Just as I had the sinking feeling, the port engine violently kicks up all the way up out of the water and slams down against the transom. She was one of my two Yamaha V8's weighing in at close to 800lbs each. I was thinking that either the transom was cracked, the lower unit was shot or we were about to take on water very quickly. Fortunately, none of that happened.:thumbsup I thought that it would be a good idea to drive back to that area of impact and see what we hit. I was traveling at a slow speed in the unlikely event that I would hit it again. Five minutes later, wham bam I hit that MF'r again! Now I am thinking maybe I am not that bright and should relinquish my Captains duties. :banghead

I was determined to earn my Captains duties and help guide my buddies John and Kurt 55 miles east to capture the wahoo and snapper that we have been dreaming about for the last three weeks. We crossed, cleared and put all that drama behind us. Set up the HST with 4 lures of different colors and weights. After about an hour we get a huge hit the pole beds over double and the reels is singing. Not like a beautiful bird, but like a feral poisonous bird that is sick and dying :fishing The guys easily slide a 40lb class hoo thru the transom door like clockwork. We set up and troll for another hour, w/o a bite, and decide to move. That was a wise decision as we boated three more 40lb class hoo's without any drama. The tide was changing so we switched gears. This time we are deep dropping for Queen Snapper. Once again I was not disappointed as the boys were slinging them in over the rails. :)They were some of the largest Queens that I have ever witnessed.

It was getting late in the afternoon and the clouds were closing in on us. We cleaned up, set the autopilot and cruised at about 40 knots just beating the deteriorating weather as we navigated the inlet. Heading back again next week and hope to see some other familiar boats out there.

ps If anyone recovers a bean bag, labeled "Sea Boss", floating in the ocean please let me know
pss my buddy John almost lost his "family jewels" to a wahoo in the last pic (more drama) :-)
Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
pm me for rental info.

Replies

• e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    EPIC trip Jiffy Jeff Special K and Mutton Man.
    All star team and glad ya got lucky on damage (twice)
    See ya tomorrow and appreciate ya!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mach80MakoMach80Mako Posts: 176 Officer
    Nice work Jeff and crew.
    Sorry I missed the trip, your boat is a proven fish hauler now.
    See you tomorrow.
    T
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    Awesome! That "close encounter" with the wahoo might have me wearing a cup!!

And, That is one heck of a drop on those queen snapper. Nice haul and great trip despite the drama!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,348 Admiral
    Great trip!
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 329 Deckhand
    Looks like that Wahoo was after John's manhood...
    Was a great trip - thanks Jeff
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • LMKLMK Posts: 552 Officer
    Nice trip - great report!!!
  • Hook N UpHook N Up Posts: 188 Officer
    Congrats guys on the hoo's and queens. Looked like a great trip w/ a great crew! Good luck on the hoo's this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,986 Captain
    Some really sweet hoos there and glad all is well with the boat, that definitely must have freaked you out. Great shots especially that last one, holy cow!
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 860 Officer
    Thanks for all the replies. Was a great trip and hope to repeat this week. Looks like we have a few days of phenomenal weather ahead of us. Please feel free to hail the "Rum N Gun" on the radio this Saturday for a live report.
    Jeff
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.