Home General Paddle Craft

SUP Help

What's up fellow fish fanatics? I've been dying to find a way to hit the water to satiate my fishing and water addiction w/out breaking the bank:huh. I decided to invest in a SUP. I felt like it would be a good fit since I've always liked inshore/backcountry fishing and I look forward to some good times.

I joined this forum almost 20 years ago before we had to reset our user ID's years back when they revamped the site. I've always been very thankful that the fishing community enjoys helping each other out. I am hoping I can come to the well for the first time in a long time to drink from the fountain of fishing knowledge, lol.

On a serious note just looking for tips, areas to launch, and general fishing areas that are somewhat protected from the recently high winds. I don't expect to get honey hole coordinates, just advice to had a good time out there and bend a rod:fishing. Thank you for any advice in advance.

Tight lines!

JC:USA

Replies

• LighthouseKipLighthouseKip Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    What part of the state are you in JC? A good place to start for finding places to launch is paddling.net/launches. They have a map where you can look up launch spots. There is some good info there.
  • JCrove06JCrove06 Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    I am located in Miami Lighthouse, but am willing to jump in the car if it's not too far and worth while...thanks
    Awesome sight! I appreciate it LH
  • I use Google Maps (Earth & Street view) to scout for new spots. Earth for looking at underwater topography. Street view for potential launch sites. Bing Maps(aerial & bird's eye view) is also a great tool for finding places that look fishy. You can clearly see features like grass flats, drop offs and potholes. Have fun exploring.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I am not to sure about Miami. You can try some of the canals and find snook and snapper. Wish I was of more help. I need to make a trip down that was and check it out.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,452 Officer
    What "have kayak" said. A lot of bridges have a way down to the water.
    Cool, yea I definitely use google earth and others to check out the drop offs etc. eventually I will want to check out flamingo. It looked like some of these places were protected from the wind. Largo sound, tarpon basin, sunset cove, tavernier channel (might have too much boat traffic).
  • Unfortunately I don't know the area. However I have casually investigated the Key Largo area for a potential trip. Take a look at the Card Sound bridge(905A). There appear to be at least two legit launches(parking) in the area. One on the west end of the bridge and a dirt lot on the east side. Lots of coves and shoreline facing in different directions to hide from the wind. It also looks extremely fishy. Nice healthy looking flats, creek mouths and potholes. Regardless of where you go use the Sup to your advantage. Get far back into some super skinny water. Places that most boats and fishermen are unwilling or unable to go. The fish will be in there somewhere. Be stealthy and vigilante. Be ready to sight cast to cruising targets.
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
  • krashkrash Posts: 670 Officer
    Couple good places to start, although no protection form East wind, are Matheson Hammock and Convoy Point. If you are on Key Biscayne, Crandon Ramp and head toward West Point or across the channel behind SeaAquarium...
    A bit North, just South of 79th st., is Morning Side Point.
    Search for pst fomr RDS/BugDoc he has a good launch site info link attached to his post.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    That's some great information I really appreciate it. What do you usually go for in those spots? Thanks again!
  • krashkrash Posts: 670 Officer
    I usually try to not catch Trout but they are fun... I target anything that moves except Cuda which will find you and it takes great talent to not let/have them bite but on a slow day they are lots of fun till ya got to reach in and get your hook back.

On the flats on the East side there is always Cuda, Sharks, and Rays... if you move out a few hundred yards in the grassy areas you'll find Snappers and Trout... and if you are lucky you might even see a Bonefish.
    Around the West side, SeaAquarium Trout and various Snapper, in and around Bear cut there are some jumbo Tarpon, and on West Point area Trout and sometines a Bonefish. And Jacks can be found everywhere.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    Great report. I appreciate it. If anyone ever wants to schedule an outing send me a pm. I love to fish and like getting together with people who share the same passion. Not to mention if we do farther trips it becomes a safety concern.