Home General Paddle Craft

Fishing in the wind at Long Point. 11/1/16

Jcanracer and I made a trip up to fish Long Point to get out of the wind and catch some fish. We put in around 7.30 am. and hit a trout spot. There we found trout, mostly small. Then a dolphin moved in, every time we hooked up he would move in and try to have a free meal when we let the trout go. So we moved to another trout spot. We both hooked up trout and out of nowhere flipper is there. If we hooked a nice trout, snook or red, we would be in trouble. So we made our way to my secret tarpon spot that not even the dolphins know about. There Christopher gets his first ever tarpon and I hook a small snook. On the way back to the trout spot I hook a nice 27" trout in the mangroves, only to have it get off at the board. We were hoping to find the trout spots with out the dolphin there but found 7. It is cool to see them hunt trout and redfish, but do make it hard to fish. Still a nice day on the water, even with the wind.

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,278 Admiral
    They blew up my redfish school yesterday afternoon too.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Thanks again for showing me around this excellent spot Pete.
    I haven't reviewed all my gopro footage, but I do know that I had the darn thing off during the Tarpon fight :banghead
    Oh well, such is life. At least you got a bit of it on your camera!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,914 Captain
    Nice Report -- Thanks Pete.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Thanks again for showing me around this excellent spot Pete.
    I haven't reviewed all my gopro footage, but I do know that I had the darn thing off during the Tarpon fight :banghead
    Oh well, such is life. At least you got a bit of it on your camera!

I sympathize with that frustration...best footage is right after the strike. Unless the camera is already rolling there is a good chance it gets missed. For that reason it is nice to use extended life batteries and keep them rolling during likely strike times.