Charlotte Harbor--Too Late for Sharks?

Have a friend visiting next week, he would really like to catch a shark. I've had good luck this summer, and up to about a month ago. Haven't been back after them since, not familiar with later season shark fishing. I have good bait (frozen bonita and a cuda carcass) and chum, would appreciate any suggestions. Thank You, Frank

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    Was messing around the other night off a pier on a slow bite and chucked a big piece of mullet far out just to get some action. The first mullet lasted about 10 minutes, the next 5 lasted about 30 seconds. I was using fluoro leader so got broke off each time, but did put the hook into 2 for a solid 5-10 minutes and both almost emptied my 350 yards of 50 on heavy drag on their first run. There's definitely plenty of sharks around. Use fresh mullet, they are absolutely everywhere right now.
  • Novice anglerNovice angler Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    What's the best way/place to get fresh mullet
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    What's the best way/place to get fresh mullet

Wading or trolling motor in most shallow places in the harbor with a cast net. I know you can absolutely hammer the mullet around XMAS time on the beaches with a cast net...
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Was messing around the other night off a pier on a slow bite and chucked a big piece of mullet far out just to get some action. The first mullet lasted about 10 minutes, the next 5 lasted about 30 seconds. I was using fluoro leader so got broke off each time, but did put the hook into 2 for a solid 5-10 minutes and both almost emptied my 350 yards of 50 on heavy drag on their first run. There's definitely plenty of sharks around. Use fresh mullet, they are absolutely everywhere right now.

Also never underestimate using Ladyfish for Sharks.. I have caught many Sharks with Ladyfish...
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    I get live shrimp and just fish. When I catch a pinfish I cut in half and throw out on a larger rod with 80lb braided and 100lb leader. I would land a three to four foot shark within 15 mins. In the course of the day (mid October) I caught about 20 sharks. I am not great on my shark species but I am pretty sure they were mostly black tip. They were fun to catch because they jumped out of the water multiple times trying to shake the hook. Once they got close to four feet they started becoming much thicker and heavier. I catch some big Rays this time of year and they put up a fantastic fight, just when you think they're done they give you another good run. Once I had one pull me and my boat all over pine island sound.