Home General Fishing

Braid or mono for trolling?

Lenny85Lenny85 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
I'm new to florida and will be fishing out of ponce inlet. Setting up trolling rods,do yall recommend power pro or mono? And what lb test? I will be using a leader on either setup. Running penn squall 50lw reels. Rated for 320yd of 50lb mono. Just wasnt sure if thats enough line for trolling in these waters. Thank you in advance

Replies

• T-DaddyT-Daddy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Mono. Nearshore - Kingfish we typically use 20-30 lb mono. Far offshore - tuna, wahoo, sails, et al we typically have 60-80 lb mono on the 50-80 wides.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Mono... At least the 1st ~100yds... Braid backing is fine, esp. if you wanna chase Big Fish on Small Reels... You want the stretch that mono has as a shock absorber on strikes...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    You want mono for trolling. If lines cross or there is a backlash or you need to grab the line, you'll want mono. The exception to this is maybe trolling plugs to cut through the water. Maybe.
    As for line size, unless you plan for or have a good chance at yellowfin tuna the most you need is 40lb or less.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 1,004 Officer
    Both -- braid backing with mono topshot long enough to fish pure mono until a larger fish takes you deeper into the spool. On my TLD 25s this means about 600 yrds of 65lb spectra with 100-150 yards of 30-40lb premium mono.
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 410 Deckhand
    bmoody wrote: »
    Both -- braid backing with mono topshot long enough to fish pure mono until a larger fish takes you deeper into the spool. On my TLD 25s this means about 600 yrds of 65lb spectra with 100-150 yards of 30-40lb premium mono.

agree..
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,473 Moderator
    What are your chances of hooking a large Blue or a big yellowfin out of Ponce. Not a great one, but there are plenty of tales of people trolling for dolphin and getting spooled b one of these fish. You will need about 600 yards of line which is what the larger big game reels hold. A 50 Squall is a composite reel and not a good candidate for a lot of drag like a Fathom or Int'l. which are metal. Composite reels are subject to a lot of torque. If I was stuck with the designated reel, I'd put about 300 yards of 50 braid and top it off with 50 mono, however much it would hold. This should give you enough line and time to get a big fish under control. Actually for the vast majority of fish you will hook, you will be way over gunned.
  • FlagtailsFlagtails MiamiPosts: 584 Officer
    What are your chances of hooking a large Blue or a big yellowfin out of Ponce. Not a great one, but there are plenty of tales of people trolling for dolphin and getting spooled b one of these fish. You will need about 600 yards of line which is what the larger big game reels hold. A 50 Squall is a composite reel and not a good candidate for a lot of drag like a Fathom or Int'l. which are metal. Composite reels are subject to a lot of torque. If I was stuck with the designated reel, I'd put about 300 yards of 50 braid and top it off with 50 mono, however much it would hold. This should give you enough line and time to get a big fish under control. Actually for the vast majority of fish you will hook, you will be way over gunned.

Listen to this guy. He knows what he is talking about.

Juan