Palm Island last week of November, First week of December

Renting a boat while staying on Palm Island. Interested in fishing the flats and drifting the passes. I've seen posts on drifting Gasparilla pass and bouncing the bottom with a jig for snapper and grouper. What type of jig are they talking about? When fishing the flats at low tide what can I expect for water depth? The boat is a 20ft skiff. Will there be enough water to be able to drift the flats?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I would fish Boca Grande pass rather than Gasparilla, but I have never fished that pass so that's just me. Heavy jigs, with or without grub tails should work. You can also troll Stretch 25's in the passes for grouper. Flats come in all sizes and depths. The closer to the shore, the shallower they are but there is real shallow water away from shore in places. If the boat is something like a Carolina Skiff, you should be fine. Please be careful if you don't know our waters. The grass is in bad shape in places and prop scars can take 25 years to heal. Should be plenty of trout if nothing else to be found on the flats. Work different depths till you figure out where they are.
  • rjaywhitrjaywhit Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    whipachaw, thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get down there!
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,031 Captain
    Gasparilla Pass is much easier to fish than Boca Grande and there's good flats fishing nearby.
    Jim
    Scoutboat, thanks for the advice. What's the strategy for Gasparilla Pass?
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 242 Deckhand
    If your going to fish passes, Stump is probably better than Gasparilla. Boca probably better than both but Boca can get cranked up in full tide swing or gusty winds. Over at Gasparilla, I would use live shrimp on a jig head and fish the bridges more than the pass. Should be able to get trout, flounder, small snappers, sheepshead, catfish etc. Also probably do the same at the trestle right near Gasparilla Pass. Probably keep pretty busy with live shrimp or whitebait anywhere within 30 miles of where you are.

Ill be down there on vacation with my wife the same time. We often have room for one or two people if you want to go near/offshore to catch some nice snapper, grouper etc with us.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414
    Disappointed to see the reports of high red tide concentrations in palm island area. Not sure if it's worth keeping my boat reservation. Assuming that they rt clears out in the next few days will the area be fishable at the end of the month?