New to the area-Team wanted

Just moved to the Tampa area from the Pensacola area, had a great group of friends that knew the ins and outs of fishing and costs of a fun day on the gulf. Would love to find a team that loves it as much as I do. I run a 24 CC and want to find a group that's willing to alternate boats, have there own equipment, share costs and tips, and must like beer! No I don't have waypoints for here so I'm starting fresh. Also looking for a place to keep the boat (dry storage) closer to the GOM instead of trailering it 2 hrs to the ramp. Free to go most weekends and willing to travel. Hit me up and help me get back on the water, the name is TJ

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Welcome to the area.....what kind of fishing were you doing in Pensacola?
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • AddictedAddicted Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Mainly reef and natural bottom for vermillion,aj,grouper,and trigger.
  • grey_beardgrey_beard Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Addicted wrote: »
    Just moved to the Tampa area from the Pensacola area, had a great group of friends that knew the ins and outs of fishing and costs of a fun day on the gulf. Would love to find a team that loves it as much as I do. I run a 24 CC and want to find a group that's willing to alternate boats, have there own equipment, share costs and tips, and must like beer! No I don't have waypoints for here so I'm starting fresh. Also looking for a place to keep the boat (dry storage) closer to the GOM instead of trailering it 2 hrs to the ramp. Free to go most weekends and willing to travel. Hit me up and help me get back on the water, the name is TJ

Check out Tierra Verde Marina Resort. All new and easy access to Gulf.
    Will do thank you!
  • RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    I'd join u sometime but I don't fish weekends. Usually Tuesday & fridays are my days off from work
    PM me Royalflush and when we get some weather on those days I'll give you a shout
  • RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    Pm sent
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,930 Captain
    I just did the hi and dry search in south Pinellas as well because I thought my current location was going away. I THINK I am staying put which is good.

The harborage in downtown st. pete was a $100+ cheaper a month but it is also about 8 miles further up in the bay than Tierra Verde so you would have to figure those fuel cost plus minuses. My boat is 23' + a bracket so 25'ish with a T Top.

I had contacted at Loggerhead, Tierra Verde, Gulfport, Pass A Grill, Mariners Cove, Loggerhead, Tierra Verde, Gulfport, and Pass A Grill had no availability for my boat with a T Top. Some thought they would have room in a couple months. Harborage was $271 and the rest were closer to $400 a month.

Oneill's has no lifts available for quite a while but has a spot to park your trailer so you are right next to the ramp. I think it was $175 a month for that.

Those were the options I found and was going to go with Harborage since I do a lot in the bay as well but my current spot looks like it is going to be ok for a while. I have had my boat at Oneills as well on the trailer and on a lift. Just like the lift better because you don't have to mess with the ramp or anything but I was having a hard time spending an additional $225+ a month to put it in a hi and dry. Fortunately it doesn't look like I have to make that decision.

Good luck.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • SaltyBrewerSaltyBrewer Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I just signed a 6 month hi & dry contract with Lighthouse Point, couple miles to John's Pass. Around $300. Largo Intercoastal had a single spot open (right after I committed to Lighthouse.) More expensive but quick shot to Clearwater Pass. Either Pass is good, I'm more used to hard bottom off Clearwater NW. I'll learn the ditch and other spots off John's Pass. I'm a working snowbird, hope to get down 1-2 times a month. Definitely recommend hi & dry, and 8:00 start is better than a 2 hour tow.
    I'm slowly finding out that I'm gonna have to cough up some money one way or the other. Just put the new trailer under it 4 months ago so I think I'll trailer it. My budget opens up in May thanks to child support so I'll look again around then. I've been spoiled with being able to keep it on the naval base in pcola for $50 a month and 1 mile from the pass. What's the main structure out to 30 or 40 miles around here, natural bottom or wrecks?
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 493 Deckhand
    30-40 miles out pretty much runs the gamut of options. Lots of natural ledges in our area, shallow and deeper. "Swiss cheese" bottom is another common feature; loose mixed hard bottom with holes in the bottom and a lot of soft corals. We have several public artificial reefs, but they tend to get way too much pressure. Along the "pipeline" there are lots of man-made rock piles put in there to compensate for reef damage done when they installed the pipe ("remediation sites"). There's also the odd sunken shrimp boat and other such stuff out there that you'll have to find for yourself or marry the right guy's sister to get the numbers to.

The main stuff around here is ledges and swiss cheese. Remediation sites can also be a good bet, but they tend to attract a lot of boats, especially on the weekends. Get out there and slow troll for kingfish during the spring and fall runs and keep your eyes glued to the depth finder and finger on the "mark" button.
    Thank you, I'm chomping at the bit to get some good weather. I know how the winter months are tho!