Today 10/20 on Sarasota Bay

I put in at 10th street around 6:30 am. Went to the West side near the Middle grounds looking for bait. That area seemed dead. No bait and no hits for about 30 minutes. Moved to the East side to Ringling flats. Lots of bait and mullet for a few hours. East wind worked in my favor allowing a few nice southerly drifts. Fished spoons. I got out too deep on the first drift catching a few nice trout. Next couple drifts released six Reds about 26" each. Saw lots of Reds chasing hooked fish. This was my first experience with a real Red bite. Normally I just catch a single here and there. Went to New Pass for lunch, a burger and a beer. Drifted the Middle grounds. Saw a couple of dead fish and the area seemed dead. Moved to Radio tower flats. A few fish, but the area seemed lacking life. Pulled out by 2:00. Now Chinese food, beer and sleep.

John

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,108 Captain
    solid work!
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Nice work!!!
  • GITTERDONE12GITTERDONE12 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    How deep was "too deep"? 3 feet where trout were? And found Reds in 2 feet? 1 foot? I fish Charlotte harbor so not trying for your fish just trying to learn. Thanks!
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 212 Deckhand
    You're asking advise from the wrong guy. I'm still trying to figure out this Florida inshore thing.

The area I found the reds was a fairly long (maybe a mile) shallow ( 0-3 ft.) close to 8 ft. of water. Water drops off quickly. Trout were in the 3 ft. water and not shallow.

The reds were 1-3 ft. The area was loaded with mullet and schools of baitfish for hours. About a couple of hours after high tide.

For me the hardest part was figuring out the difference between the mullet and reds moving the water. I started to get the hang of it watching the reds work the baitfish schools and fishing those edges.

The hardest part was hiding the fact that I was on a school of reds. After releasing a few fish, boats seems to show up and the bite stopped.

John
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 702 Officer
    Nice job on the reds. You may not want to name a specific flat when talking about a school of reds.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    There's still some red tide around. When I went to New Pass bait shop I could not stop coughing- so it's in the water in their shrimp pens. Interestingly, the shrimp were fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]