Home Ask the Law!

Rail Hunting: is lead shot OK?

Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,415 Officer
Is steel shot required to hunt rails in Florida?
King%20Rail.jpg
Below are the2011 FWC regulations but I can’t find where it states that lead or steel is OK. I would appreciate any help.

Some states you can shoot lead for rail hunting because rail feet are not webbed like a duck.

Hoo Yah!!
Brian

2011 season:

Rail and common moorhen
Season: Sept. 1 – Nov. 9, 2011
Shooting hours: one-half hour before sunrise to sunset
Bag limits:
Clapper and king rails – daily limit 15, possession limit
30 (singly or in aggregate)
Sora and Virginia rails – daily limit 25, possession
limit 25 (singly or in aggregate)
Common moorhen – daily limit 15

Replies

• OysterbottomboyOysterbottomboy Posts: 414 Officer
    from what I understand you only need steel for coots, ducks, and geese. I was wondering the same thing about gallanules too.

No person may take ducks, geese (including brant), or coots while possessing shot (either in shotshells or as loose shot for muzzleloading) other than approved non-toxic shot. For a list of approved non-toxic shot, see (www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/CurrentBirdIssues/nontoxic.htm)

this was from fwc site
  • NathanNathan Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Non-toxic shot is only required for hunting waterfowl. Waterfowl includes ducks, geese, and coots. Rails, snipe, and moorhen are not waterfowl.

Nathan
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    I would suggest use steel for Rails, and clappers as they are water fowl in the marsh . If you plan to hunt snipe you best be hunting snipe only with lead and no ducks in your bag,Hunt one or the other with one or the other no combo's . Will save alot of grief and $$$$. Do not have lead and steel(etc.) at the same time while hunting these species, Must be selective. As in go home and come back out to hunt again. I know in Merrit Island preserve that only water fowl is huntable no snipe, rails etc. Correct me if I'm wrong as haven't been there in awhile. Killed a charging hog their back in the day and got got fined as it was not water fowl. Good Luck to all. Bite 1
  • atty551atty551 Posts: 106 Officer
    I think that you are not allowed to use lead period in a WMA...
    Our children should not have to ask what they are supposed to remember on Memorial Day
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    atty551 wrote: »
    I think that you are not allowed to use lead period in a WMA...
    not true, however, the reason for steel shot is that it lands in the water and dabbling ducks end up ingesting it therefore I would imagine anytime you are hunting in, over or around the water the right thing to do is to use steel shot. I would also consider rails water fowl since that is where they live near the water kind of like shore birds. You don't usually see them in a cow pasture however, you do see geese and ducks in a corn field.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    You have probably seen this, this is what the regs say and it is pretty clear.

Non-toxic shotNo person may take ducks, geese (including brant), or coots while possessing shot (either in shotshells or as loose shot for muzzleloading) other than approved non-toxic shot. For a list of approved non-toxic shot, see (www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/CurrentBirdIssues/nontoxic.htm)

And of course contrary to what I said in the previous post you can obviously shoot squirrels in the swamp over water. I guess the idea is to limit the amount of lead shot ending up in water although it can't be totally eliminated it without just eliminating lead shot which we may see in our life time.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers