Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Homestead Bayfront Night Fishing 10/8/16

Left the marina just after 5:00pm. After exiting Ceasar's creek, trolled a few feathers en route to Carysfort Reef. Hit a few jacks almost immediately and back in they went. Shortly thereafter we got a nice pair of Spanish mackerel. A bit later we hit on one 26" king before anchoring up on the reef. Chummed up and landed a pair of mangroves and a few tails. It was a great night with great weather.

On the way in we had our first coastguard boarding ever. That was interesting... a stop after midnight for a "routine safety check". They measured our shortest tail at 14" and subsequently sited me for an expired flair.

Tight lines all.

bb81ba06ae9db7f5ee757e69b75a891a.jpg

119e85660c02d070fd390a04cc723689.jpg

d293f60531ff764b3eefa062524208cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    nice report. Getting out of the marina after closing time involve finding an employee?

How much was the ticket for the expired flare?
  • Hooked4ReelHooked4Reel Posts: 100 Officer
    Thanks. I've always found the gate opened as I leave. I wonder if they see me coming up the channel and just open the gate. Never had to flag anyone down.

As far as the citation, I haven't even looked at it yet. The issuing officer told me that I would receive info via mail and if I submit proof of purchase for replacements "it will all go away". Looking forward to how that will work out.

• stebfishstebfish Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Left the marina just after 5:00pm. After exiting Ceasar's creek, trolled a few feathers en route to Carysfort Reef. Hit a few jacks almost immediately and back in they went. Shortly thereafter we got a nice pair of Spanish mackerel. A bit later we hit on one 26" king before anchoring up on the reef. Chummed up and landed a pair of mangroves and a few tails. It was a great night with great weather.

On the way in we had our first coastguard boarding ever. That was interesting... a stop after midnight for a "routine safety check". They measured our shortest tail at 14" and subsequently sited me for an expired flair.

Tight lines all.

bb81ba06ae9db7f5ee757e69b75a891a.jpg

119e85660c02d070fd390a04cc723689.jpg

d293f60531ff764b3eefa062524208cd.jpg

I was stopped one night by the FWC out of PE , on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning at 2:30 am coming back in from bottom fishing.. Guy came up on us with no running lights until he was just off our stern, then he lit up and drown us out with the mega spot light. He came along side us and checked ID 's only. momentarily scared the crap out of us!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    stebfish wrote: »
    I was stopped one night by the FWC out of PE , on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning at 2:30 am coming back in from bottom fishing.. Guy came up on us with no running lights until he was just off our stern, then he lit up and drown us out with the mega spot light. He came along side us and checked ID 's only. momentarily scared the crap out of us!

I sort of have a phobia of pirates. That wouldn't help any if what happened to you happened to me.
  • Hooked4ReelHooked4Reel Posts: 100 Officer
    stebfish wrote: »

It was kind of like that. They came up on us in almost "stealth" mode. Didn't turn on the blues or the spot lights until they were right up on us. I stayed calm for my son, but I was fairly unnerved by the experience.

As they left us, they shut off all the lights and off they went in total darkness...

• Plan Sea ChartersPlan Sea Charters Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Sounds a little reckless and dangerous to me.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,488 Captain
    Sounds a little reckless and dangerous to me.

Not really - They're using NVG's until they decide to stop you. Their visibility is way better than what you have using a spot light. It affords them the element of surprise and a tactical advantage.

Lot's of smuggling activity out there. . . Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil these days.

Pura Vida!