Home Egret Boats

Which Trolling Motor is preferred for the Egret189

AuwhalerAuwhaler Posts: 29 Deckhand
I have used both the Minn Kota and the motor guide but have only used the Minn Kota with anchor lock.

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    Auwhaler wrote: »
    I have used both the Minn Kota and the motor guide but have only used the Minn Kota with anchor lock.

The boat has little to do with it other than the 189 requires at least 80 lb thrust for decent performance. Its a personal preference just as is the case with a GPS or an Engine.

I dont care for the minn kotas as they are very noisy turning etc. when compared to the alternatives and the remote is way too big.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Either the Motor Guide XI5 or the Rhodan right now.
    When Minnkota releases the new version of there GPS that could be a game changer.
    But time will tell. Proven XI5 & Rhodan for precise anchor lock and quietness right now.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I have 3 trolling motors that switch out for different purposes on my Egret 2011. Anchor function is much better on the current Xi5 than the current Miinn Kota offerings but man do I love my Minn Kota Ultera. As soon as Minn Kota comes out with their new improved anchor function rivalrying the Xi5 in precision on the Ultera I'm selling my other motors and buying two of the improved Ulteras to alway have a spare. I lock one to the top of my RV for week long Glades trips. Having that spare saved my trip last year when a big wave fried my mother board on my Xi5.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    My MK iPilot Riptide ST has been the most reliable thing about the boat. 4 years / 2000 hrs and not a single MK problem. The remote displays power setting and other info which I use and the other brands don't seem to have that. If the remote with display is too big for tiny Trump hands you can get a mini MK remote. The anchor function could do with improvement though.

Talking to local TM expert shop about MG Xi5 and he recommended getting 3 to ensure 1 was always working. There are a lot of Ulterras in for repair too.

If you let factory rig your boat you better demand through bolts with caulk and not their standard dry screws. Then check it was done right at delivery or the screws will rip out of the deck if the motor touches bottom at any speed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Auwhaler wrote: »

I have an I pilot on the 189. 80# 24 volts. Plenty of power , spot lock sufficient for my needs.
    The unit seems a bit noisy to me.....previously had a tiller model on another boat.
    I had problems with the turning motor and now it doesn't shut off automatically when firmly stowed.It will turn off using the remote.
    I am considering the Rhodan.
    Anyone have feedback regarding the Rhodan and noise?
    P.s Factory installed using through bolts.
    Larry418 wrote: »
    I have an I pilot on the 189. 80# 24 volts. Plenty of power , spot lock sufficient for my needs.
    The unit seems a bit noisy to me.....previously had a tiller model on another boat.
    I had problems with the turning motor and now it doesn't shut off automatically when firmly stowed.It will turn off using the remote.
    I am considering the Rhodan.
    Anyone have feedback regarding the Rhodan and noise?

I have a rohdan. Nearly silient turning and very quiet. Lock is perfect. Remote fits in the palm of your hand and easy. 80 lb thrust works well on the 18.
    Downside: 1) the white plastic parts start to discolor after a 18 months or so and 2) there is some sometimes an annoying internal vibration sound in the mount to the deck at speed 2. Just a sound and not a performance issue. Not sure what it is. Sounds like perhaps the plastic cover vibrating at a certain frequency. Something is loose and vibrating and but I cant find what it is. 3) I think the deck mount could be better designed. After a few months of use it does not self launch when you step on the release so you have to step on it and the push it off the mount to deploy. Requires some minor readjusting and some lubrication where it slides off to get it to self launch again. 4) only 24 V system. I don't think they offer a 36 V.
    I have a rohdan. Nearly silient turning and very quiet. Lock is perfect. Remote fits in the palm of your hand and easy. 80 lb thrust works well on the 18.
    Downside: 1) the white plastic parts start to discolor after a 18 months or so and 2) there is some sometimes an annoying internal vibration sound in the mount to the deck at speed 2. Just a sound and not a performance issue. Not sure what it is. Sounds like perhaps the plastic cover vibrating at a certain frequency. Something is loose and vibrating and but I cant find what it is. 3) I think the deck mount could be better designed. After a few months of use it does not self launch when you step on the release so you have to step on it and the push it off the mount to deploy. Requires some minor readjusting and some lubrication where it slides off to get it to self launch again. 4) only 24 V system. I don't think they offer a 36 V.

E.L.
    Thank you for your feedback, would you purchase it again?
    Rhodan is releasing a 36 volt model by the end of the month.
    Both my boats the 189 & the 2011 were thru bolted from the factory.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Mine is through bolted. I think Frank hates Martin.
    E.L.
    Thank you for your feedback, would you purchase it again?

I think I will probably go back to the remote motorguide the next time and hope by then they have a self launching feature that has the bugs worked out. Launching and pulling up the trolling motor all the time is getting old like me.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 386 Deckhand

I'm happy to hear this from both you and FlatsBoy. I was thinking about calling Frank to have the mount through bolted. I was surprised to hear Martins complaint, with how well the boats are built I would think a through-bolt is a no-brainer.
    Vinny l wrote: »
    I'm happy to hear this from both you and FlatsBoy. I was thinking about calling Frank to have the mount through bolted. I was surprised to hear Martins complaint, with how well the boats are built I would think a through-bolt is a no-brainer.

I am honestly not calling in Martin's veracity into question here. Just saying it's odd that me and others somehow ended up with the through bolts.
    Vinny l wrote: »
    I thought it was a no brainer too. I thought the through bolting on the rod holders put in the build sheet meant bolts but I got naked screws which soon pulled out. I thought the instructions by the trim tab manufacturer to put epoxy on the screws would be followed but I got dry screws that pulled out after a couple years. I was so wrong about how the boat would be built. I should have inspected the boat much more carefully. Hope you don't make the same mistakes that I did.

Make sure you get a breaker on the trolling motor circuit too. My boat had one but a friend's boat was delivered without a breaker.
    Looks like it's that time of the month again....

BS_zpsbpmumbkw.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Deleted
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Looks like it's that time of the month again....

BS_zpsbpmumbkw.jpg

Really???? You may have hurt his feelings.
    m4AzIry.gif
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas

Have you checked all of your fasteners? As far as I understood the conversation, Renagade69 just told me that your boat had screws for the back fasteners when he owned it before you. Dry screws for the back end is the standard method that the factory uses. There is no access to the back fasteners under the deck without an inspection port. In that case a builder could easily use stainless toggle nuts for through bolting. In my boat, I had an inspection port installed by the factory.
    Both my boats the 189 & the 2011 were thru bolted from the factory.

Just because you can see two bolts at the front does not mean that bolts were used for the back fasteners. Are your trolling motors only through bolted or part bolt, part screw like mine? OR maybe you don't know and that's a useful answer for Vinny as well.

Call the factory Vinny or you might get dry screwed! :)
    Well for the record both my boats had inspection plates installed in the front hatch area standard. There were two bolt with lock nuts on the outside of the hull and two inside under the deck on both boats. How I know this is I work on my own boats and don't rely on others to install accessories. My 189 had a minnkota installed from the factory. I switched it out for a Motor Guide Hand tiller two years later. I had to remove the old puck and install a new one to accept the new bracket for the motor guide.I also had the same install on the 2011 with a Minnkota I pilot it also had 2 bolts on the outside and 2 on the inside with fender washers and lock nuts.
    Glad to hear your trolling motor is holding up to your abuse. You should look into upgrading to the newer model I'm sure the old one is on Bowers time! :funnypost
    mbowers wrote: »
    Have you checked all of your fasteners? As far as I understood the conversation, Renagade69 just told me that your boat had screws for the back fasteners when he owned it before you. Dry screws for the back end is the standard method that the factory uses. There is no access to the back fasteners under the deck without an inspection port. In that case a builder could easily use stainless toggle nuts for through bolting. In my boat, I had an inspection port installed by the factory.

Just because you can see two bolts at the front does not mean that bolts were used for the back fasteners. Are your trolling motors only through bolted or part bolt, part screw like mine? OR maybe you don't know and that's a useful answer for Vinny as well.

Ok,
    In the spirit of fairness to mr.bowers , who takes a lot of shots on this forum, I went outside removed the boat cover and opened the inspection port and checked how the quick release recieving puck was fastened .
    The two rear fasteners are indeed screws.
    I assumed all were bolts because one front fasteners is a bolt that is visible from outside the boat just under the lip of the hull. The internal front fastener is also a bolt/screw with a nut.
    Regards
    mbowers wrote: »

I know for sure because I have a pie-hole access to the front and have a good sense on feeling in my fingers.

...as I said, I believe Martin on his, just don't understand the variability.
    I know for sure because I have a pie-hole access to the front and have a good sense on feeling in my fingers.

...as I said, I believe Martin on his, just don't understand the variability.

If I'm not mistaken, the Moccasin unlike the Egrets does not have a liner making a through the deck bolted in installation of a trolling motor simpler then if it had a liner. Just open the anchor locker and whalha easy access. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Yes and no. Yes, no liner on the Mocc. No, no more difficult to install on The Bird because there is a large pie-hole to gain access to the cap.
    Yes and no. Yes, no liner on the Mocc. No, no more difficult to install on The Bird because there is a large pie-hole to gain access to the cap.

Thanks
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    My 189 was built in the Spring of 2015. Out of curiosity, I just checked...opened the inspection port in the anchor locker and sure enough, the TM puck has thru bolts and the nuts that I could see from the inspection port.
    Glad to hear your trolling motor is holding up to your abuse. You should look into upgrading to the newer model I'm sure the old one is on Bowers time! :funnypost

Just bought the new 112 lb thrust 36V last week. :) Old one will be a spare but if quality is consistent I won't need to do anything for another 4 years / 2000 hrs. Master Repair was surprised by what great condition the plug was in. I have the Engel cooler on top of the anchor locker so the leaky latch is covered and the weight of the cooler keeps the mostly gasketed seal well compressed. No water into the compartment means rigging stays in great shape.
    Well the math so far shows 4 boats with through bolts everywhere and 4 boats with through bolts and screws. Looks like 50/50 chance of getting through bolting.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Hand control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk