source for wild shiners??

Fort Meyers/Naples area. Any guidance on reliable place to get nice wild shiners. (fresh water golden shiners) thank You

Replies

• FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Estero River Outfitters
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Those aren't golden shiners.

They can be caught in local ponds and canals but you'll have to find them. Nobody's gonna tell you where.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    You can usually chum them up - stale bread, oatmeal, fish pellets, etc..........if they are there they will swirl on it pretty quickly (usually along with small bluegill - which are a pretty good bait themselves particularly for very large catfish). I prefered catching mine with a hair hook and dough ball because I was going for the foot long jumbos and only needed a half dozen or so.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    I remember as a kid they were all over the cape's freshwater canals. They were pretty easy to catch at night if you had a nice bright light on the water. But the water was gin clear then and I dont know if they're still there anymore. Maybe north cape canals?????
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Some if not most of the neighborhood ponds in ft myers are my go to. I chum up several areas along the shore line with bread mixed with water in a bucket within casting distance of a cast net, wait a couple minutes then cast net each spot. Then weed out the bream bass tilapia and mayans nowa days too.
  • Fin-adixionFin-adixion Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    And then u use right there in NW canals?? I'd take you fishing if you show me the ropes for live shiners sometime. I live in NW cape too.