Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing shutting down during outgoing tide

Hi All,

I've been making some trips to goodland from Sarasota recently in aug and sept this year. I've had great success during incoming tide fishing live shrimp or gulp soft plastics near the mangroves around round key (about 10 miles south of Goodland) but once the tides change to outgoing the fishing shuts down. I understand that when the tide starts dropping many of the fish leave the mangroves but I've tried fishing the deep parts of the channels and even deep drop off in the mangroves with little success. I am not looking for anyone's secret spots just maybe some friendly advice on what type of structure to focus on during the outgoing or if it's even worth fishing the mangroves during an outgoing tide.

Thank you so much for any help.

Replies

• TarpoonTarpoon Posts: 61 Deckhand
    The fish move for certain. Think the exact opposite from your incoming spots. Look for rivers/channels flushing out from the mangroves on the fall.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,422 Captain
    With a few exceptions... an incoming spot isn't an outgoing spot and vice versa. The first things I'd look for includes places where you can see a visible current on a falling tide - then I'd be looking for any place where there's a bit of calm water right next to that current area (places where a big fish can hang out while watching the goodies go by on the tide. If those spots are near the corner or point of an island or over an oyster bar or downed tree - all the better. Don't spend much time at any one spot unless they get you bit within one or two casts.. and you're on your way.

The last item when you're exploring is to have a watch or clock with you and whenever you get a bite or catch a fish take a look at the time and file it away... That night get out your chart and go back over where you fished (particularly any places where you caught fish...). Then get out your tide chart for that day and compare the time you got bit with what the tide was doing (first hour of the outgoing, last hour? or whatever). You'll find a close correlation between tide times each day at the same spot (if you got bit at half tide today -then you might want to be there at half tide tomorrow...). Good luck, just exploring the 'Glades and occasionally succeeding is a gas....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MegalopsAtlanticusMegalopsAtlanticus Port of the Islands, FLPosts: 91 Greenhorn
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    just exploring the 'Glades and occasionally succeeding is a gas....

I'm in full agreement. There's nothing like it, really.

And the more we explore, the better it gets. Even though I know I will never see it all, it doesn't keep me from trying to, haha.

Heck, some spots are so great I even visit them twice!!!
    "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 830 Officer
    A very well known guide on statewide tv in talking to our fishing club said All
    this talk about low tide and high tide and in between,much of it is nonsense.
    After all,I have clients at almost every part of the day,what am I suppose to
    tell them,wrong tide? I simply have to know where to go,because the fish certainly
    didn't leave the water.
    He also made the statement when someone asked the question"Can I bring a GPS?"
    He said"Go ahead,there are a lot of factors that go into catching fish other than location."
    "Salinity,barometric pressure,wind,bait are among the many factors which are also important."
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,422 Captain
    Amen....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666