Stump Pass Red Tide ??

Anyone have any info on the Red Tide from Stump Pass up Lemon Bay a few miles to Buchan's Landing (near Indian Mound ramp)

Were planning a week there starting next Saturday 10-8.
I know things will change by then but how is it now. We will be fishing offshore but would like to know how far out if any the Red Tide is. We also don't want to stay on the Bay at Buchan's if the smell is to bad.

Any info will help
Mike

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,879 Captain
    Stump pass is a little rough with red tide right now... you can smell it in Lemon Bay but there's still fish there.
    i live about a mile from Buchan's so feel free to ask at any time.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,034 Captain
    These off shore winds should clean up the water quickly.
    Jim
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,879 Captain
    I was told yesterday that Stump Pass was all clear... but I heard it third hand from a guy who doesn't know jack squat so take that with a grain of salt.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • C F MikeC F Mike Posts: 138 Deckhand
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I was told yesterday that Stump Pass was all clear... but I heard it third hand from a guy who doesn't know jack squat so take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks, we canceled our trip.
    Hope to make it back down soon after the Red Tide is gone.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 742 Officer
    Greetings from East Central. We're planning on a trip the end of next week. Is there any update on this?

Thanks!
  • onemorecastonemorecast Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Siesta public beach was doing well for a weekday. No sign of red tide. Checked north siesta key water and no sign of floating fish and some one to two week old dead mullet at the hi tide line. Brown water was probably storm runoff from rains. Haven't fished this summer so no comment on action. Museums and restaurants not too crowded either.
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 242 Deckhand
    I WAS THERE LAST FRIDAY ON 10/7/16 AND STUMP PASS PARK (BEACH) WAS NASTY SMELLING. COUGHING, EYES BURNING ETC. INSIDE THE PASS WAS NOT BAD. I WENT NEARSHORE AND SAW VERY FEW DEAD FISH. SEEMS TO ME LIKE IT WAS GOING AWAY. ANYTHING SOUTH OF STUMP PASS SUCH AS GASPARILLA AND BOCA GRAND SEEMED TO BE FINE. NO SMELL OR DEAD FISH.

ONLY ENGLEWOOD AND STUMP PASS PARK/BEACH SEEMED BAD. ANYTHING SOUTH OR INSIDE THE PASS SEEMED O.K. OFFSHORE AND SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF STUMP PASS WAS FINE.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Checked the ICW and beaches in Englewood today. No dead fish or smell of Red Tide. Water was beautiful on the incoming tide. Maybe this constant East wind is blowing that stuff way off shore. Saw plenty of Mullet and Snook at and around marinas.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 742 Officer
    Thanks Steve. Good to hear from you. We're heading down Friday for a few days.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,034 Captain
    The latest cold front with NW winds should blow the bloom offshore.
    Jim