Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore Homosassa - 9/26

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Senior MemberHomosassa, FLPosts: 2,784 Captain
My wife had a really bad heart attack 3 months ago and I've been pretty much stuck at home taking care of her. She is finally doing better and with a scheduled visit from Home Healthcare on Tuesday, I felt confident enough to take a day off to see what's happening offshore. So I grabbed Kyle and ran out to the old red grouper areas in 50-55 ft.

It was a really hot day with little wind, which kind of took a toll on my endurance and enthusiasm. The bite was slow with no keeper red grouper and the gags would not move away from the rocks, which is their typical summertime pattern. That led to more than a few cutoffs. But we managed 2 keeper gags between 26 and 29 inches on cut bait and 2 nice hogs on shrimp.

Red snapper are all over the place in 55' or more. Most are getting to be a really nice size and it was fun catching and releasing them on jigs.

It was really great to be back on the water. The day that my wife had the heart attack back in June, we were just leaving the river at the edge of cell phone range when she called me. I told her to call 911 and turned around right away. So I had a lot of anxiety being out of touch with her on the water again. But she was fine and probably glad to have me out of her hair for a day. I hope to get out more regularly once it cools down.

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Glad you got out and caught some nice fish. Nursing a loved one is a labor of love but still stressful. Praying for a speedy recovery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Senior Member Gulf of MexicoPosts: 619 Officer
    Good job on the fish, sure is hot with no wind but I do love those glass calm days. Hope your wife continues to recover!
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Senior Member Posts: 2,419 Captain
    Nice fish! Hope your wife recovers quickly
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior Member Citrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
    Hope your wife a full recovery: good catch and nice seeing you at the dock
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior Member Citrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
    Hoping your wife a speedy recovery: it was nice speaking with you at the ****. Hope we get out together soon.
    Sorry I duplicated a post and don't know how the delete one. :)
  • SevenweightSevenweight Member Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Good to see you out on the water Doc, and especially glad your wife is on the mend!
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Senior Member Posts: 1,534 Captain
    mburke001 wrote: »
    Hoping your wife a speedy recovery: it was nice speaking with you at the ****. Hope we get out together soon.

Spell check is a tricky thing. LOL

Nice job on the fishing. Looks like those gags were trying to get in the rocks. Scratches on their backs.

Hope the Mrs. continues to get better. I'm sure she would rather be out there fishing.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • k-dogk-dog Senior Member Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Good day on the water and i have never seen a hogfish in person
  • Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    Good news on your wife's recovery. I can't wait till we can catch red snappers in 20ft!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • huntentailshuntentails Senior Member Homosassa FL & N.E. MissouriPosts: 1,699 Captain
    Sorry to hear the news about Your wife Doc! But really glad to hear she is doing
    much better and on the mend. Hope she continues to improve and glad to hear
    You were able to get a day on the water
    I will keep her continued recovery in our prayers
    Regards
    Bob & Linda
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • RedbonzRedbonz Senior Member OcalaPosts: 4,538 Captain
    Good to hear you and Kyle back at it again....
    Also great to hear the Mrs on the way back....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    Anna and I have been thinking about you both. I'm hoping for some cooler weather too, it was so deadly calm on Sunday. I had to get in the water to cool off.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 Senior Member HorseshoePosts: 968 Officer
    sorry to hear about your wife doc, glad she doing good, good to see u back
    Spell check is a tricky thing. LOL

Nice job on the fishing. Looks like those gags were trying to get in the rocks. Scratches on their backs.
    Hope the Mrs. continues to get better. I'm sure she would rather be out there fishing.

I have the new iPhone 7 can't seem to get any Posts, texts or emails going right. I should have kept my old phone. Sorry. :)
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,784 Captain
    A poor workman blames his tools, Mike. :wink

Thanks for all of your kind wishes and prayers. Eileen has been doing better each week since they took her off of a drug called amiodarone 3 weeks ago. I was causing all sorts of neuropathies that affected her thinking, vision, hearing, balance, and manual dexterity. Only problem is that it can take up to a year for that stuff to get out of your system. The balance problem was really bad. She kept getting nauseous, passing out, and falling. We had 3 trips to the ER since she got back home a month and a half ago. So I couldn't leave her alone. But she has had no falls of dizzy spells since she got off the medication and her head is clearing up as well. As long as I can get somebody to check in on her during the day I feel OK about going fishing again.

As for the scratches on those gags, both were rocked up for a while before we could land them. I hate fishing for them over the summer. You have to keep moving around from rock pile to rock pile dropping the baits right on their heads. You might get a few bites with most ending up as cut offs and that's it. The only redeeming thing is that once the bite is over, you get a better chance of catching hogfish if you drop a shrimp or crab.
    A poor workman blames his tools, Mike. :wink

:Agree
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Senior Member Posts: 561 Officer
    Great news that the wife is on the mend. Nice fish too.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 1,284 Officer
    Definitely great to see you out on the water again and I'm sure your wife is glad to see you go. I guess you haven't forgot how to fish!