Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

is mullet the best bait

badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
I`am fishing the central east coast. Whats the best bait for snook. I`am getting a few on live mullet, but I see one other guy doing better. Not sure what is using I can see it`s live bait.... An other fishermen at the dock told me mullet were not the best bait , and that croaker and pinfish were better bait.. Is that true I`am new to this type of fishing.. Were is the best place area to put the hook into . I have been using a live bait hook is it better to use a circle hook ,if so how do you hook the fish .

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Every day is something different... the baits will change.

For me, the best bait I've used for BIG snook is squirrel fish. I heard that they eat snook eggs so the big female snook are always trying to eat them when they see them around. With that said if I have mullet I'll use em every time... it's like a live bait topwater lure... the strikes are incredible sometimes. :)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    It varies... Some days it is Mojarrahs...some days it's pins...some days croakers.

During the mullet run...mullet work.

For circle hooks....just reel...no hook set...it sets itself. If you lack discipline...leave the rod in the rod holder..." Rodney" will do a good job of hooking up.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ovidovid Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I rarely use bait. Only because my arthritis makes cast netting tough. I usually do pretty good on lures, but there are days, like yesterday when the live mullet guys were catching snook left and right (just under slot) and I couldn't buy a strike.
    It's really frustrating. but there have also been days where the live bait guys are doing nothing and I am killing them, so I guess it all works out.
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Croaker is the best bait. It will not only make noise but think about it, you have thousands of mullet in a school, you toss a mullet in there, fish sees 1001 mullet. You something different in there, it will catch their attention.
    farside88 wrote: »
    Croaker is the best bait. It will not only make noise but think about it, you have thousands of mullet in a school, you toss a mullet in there, fish sees 1001 mullet. You something different in there, it will catch their attention.

I guess you never heard the phrase " Match the hatch"

Blanket statements about "what is best"...are rarely answered correctly...since there is no correct answer.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • floridanativefloridanative Posts: 1,474 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I guess you never heard the phrase " Match the hatch"

Blanket statements about "what is best"...are rarely answered correctly...since there is no correct answer.

Match the hatch is a freshwater fly fishing thing for insects. :grin

He's right though, you just gotta experiment to make your bait stand out. Hook placement will change the way it acts in the water. Snook are opportunistic feeders so with an abundance of bait where youre fishing it can be tough.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    I like using a big threadfin herring
  • joeg26erjoeg26er Posts: 15 Deckhand
    Finfinder wrote: »
    I like using a big threadfin herring

Mullet is good right now- Caught My First Tarpon Surf Fishing

Abu 7000 level wind, 6'6 Falcon, 30lb test, 50lb flouro leader, 6/0 hook

First mullet of the season, first cast of the day:

ur0XPRTQ8YZq2F2zMbeUPbVCEFP2E7r4-jy55KA9ncHSPBJOQAQLt3U9UsFow7Wqlx_SiH9BDba51i6r3fUY6HeO1mbGdY3X-JU5VOfg5xcEc02iLO2CNm-3UYYQN2sM6mb-QQr_o-OtPgJtVyuH2YKRxj9T5-P_t6dEH7-56I5Uz0AiVRX8qWxS0_eD4boKU1AMVdBex6rlaOiUaeKq51GEom7lP9bTgECMcncJJK7dRmymGTzDftBEJ2DhLjH8jd6JWmkB4TycqWD36lZgfVkpRwRTSRqWWBzoVgMGWnvYQlZLmFhIOo8kIqBnSGk54NEDl1d2Cw133l7XHltxUOHUQhT_b604K1Rb8UXiouZvWGzgUhl3-FoUHYrqKd5cZXVoy2RJ41WinAnK4fOsYnKW-ocP6YU_SZCh54EjbDOIl17jQmtxarKYy8uitTs5pBwlGGx32-DMGwX8rHtIR10U1iCLI8u0F2ue9jJSO-c6x6wFsW7WzvQGuBC3zeKFxPpXtbWxUdq9yKU3hf1Pk-pu7k8uRaMy0at9F58qOy89amf3AlJr17wDnLtZLIYm0j5wlOl4=w1718-h935-k?v=1474747217146
    I think that threadfin is a little too big but you never know...
    I think that threadfin is a little too big but you never know...

Youjust need the right size hook....a 27/0 circle would be good......but he's going to have a hard time casting it with that rod. :wink :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Match the hatch is a freshwater fly fishing thing for insects. :grin

I am well aware of the origin of the phrase. But it is a truism that covers all manner of fishing. Sometimes it is very specific ( length of lure ) sometimes it is a generality ( use of shrimp for certain species in winter) .
    In this context...Using mullet in the mullet run...It will yield results. I have no idea why the OP did not catch a snook...the list of why could be long. I do know this...at some point...those snook will "turn on"...and they will be gorging on them...that's just nature.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I am well aware of the origin of the phrase. But it is a truism that covers all manner of fishing. Sometimes it is very specific ( length of lure ) sometimes it is a generality ( use of shrimp for certain species in winter) .
    In this context...Using mullet in the mullet run...It will yield results. I have no idea why the OP did not catch a snook...the list of why could be long. I do know this...at some point...those snook will "turn on"...and they will be gorging on them...that's just nature.

I figured you did, I was just busting balls. Like you said...there's a million reasons that they weren't eating and its impossible to tell through the interwebs. I personally like a zara spook during the mullet run just to see them explode on it.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
    It kind of depends on the time of year. Right now...mullet for sure. Don't even look at any other live bait. In the spring and summer, pilchards are my go-to bait. Pretty easy to catch and work like a charm when that silvery body gets all shimmery when held against an outgoing tide...