Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Scared the living day lights out of me and broke my fishing rod

vdtranvdtran Posts: 8 Greenhorn
Went out wade fishing Friday evening on my usual pursuit of reds with a new rod that I just bought. 7' light action inshore rod but seemed like it was extra light because I was having a lot of issues setting the hook. When I thought that I had securely hooked a snook on my Johnson gold spoon, the snook would jump out of the water when I reeled it in and get away. Happened about 3 times for snooks, a couple times for lady fishes and I was getting really frustrated.

The incoming tide was higher than usual that day but the winds were bringing fishes into my honey hole. A couple days before that, dolphins swam by me (about 10 yards away), which was a great sight. This time, I heard something come up for breaths a few times but it was stationary. Turns out it was a manatee in the area. Another great sight.

Since I was frustrated at losing snook after snook, I stayed longer than usual and by the time i walked the .25 miles back to shore, it was pitch black but I knew how to stay on the sand bar through waist high water and walk back. about halfway through, something big came out of the water about 3 feet in front of me and made a loud sound that sounded like "whoosh". I screamed like a little girl and took my rod and slammed it into the spot that whatever it was came out of several times and took off to shore while still hitting my rod into the water to scare off whatever it was that came out of the water. The only light I had to guide me were the lights from the shoreline.

When I got back to shore, I looked at my rod and the tip was broken off, lost my gold spoon and I was soaking wet from head to toe. But glad to be alive. So to recap: no fish, broken rod and potentially some sea animal could have gotten me. Not my best trip but its my honey hole so I will def. be back out there.

Replies