Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

GROUPER TROLLING 9/22

Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior MemberHomosassa, FLPosts: 1,391 Officer
Launched at daybreak at the Barge Canal ramp. The new dock was put in Monday afternoon, and the little parking area has lines painted for spaces.

Ran out to the place I usually begin fishing and put out 4 lines, two for Grouper and two 12# rigs for Spanish. The water was glassy calm and the power plant smoke was going straight up.

Only got 1 Spanish, but schools of Jacks kept me busy.

Got 4 Gags, 2 were just short and were released as was one that was 26". I released that one because I had just put one in the box that measured 32".

Fished till noon and headed in. Back to the house at 1:30.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
but I will always respect your right to be wrong!

Replies

• Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Senior Member Posts: 1,534 Captain
    Nice.

Too grassy for trolling last weekend. Hopefully it's clear for Saturday.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 Senior Member HorseshoePosts: 968 Officer
    nice and calm nice catch
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,391 Officer
    Really wasn't too bad, just a few scattered clumps of Sargassum.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

• OFFSHORECHICKENOFFSHORECHICKEN Member CapePosts: 58 Deckhand
    how deep did you find them, and what kind of plug is that? looks cool
    :grin
    how deep did you find them, and what kind of plug is that? looks cool

I stayed between 12' and 25'. The plug is a Magnum Shad Rap, but that's the only hit that I had on it.

• one more driftone more drift Senior Member Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Congrats, that looks like a great day of fishing! Flat seas and a nice catch to boot. Trolling for grouper is something I definetly want to try this fall.
  • Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    Nice Pete! That's definitely a keeper. You've got my trolling blood pumping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior Member Citrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
  • RedbonzRedbonz Senior Member OcalaPosts: 4,538 Captain
    Nicely done, great to see some Grouper coming aboard again.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Good fishin' trip. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Senior Member Posts: 561 Officer
    Thanks for the great report.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Senior Member DunnellonPosts: 469 Deckhand
    Way to go Pete. Nice Groupa!
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Senior Member Ocala, FLPosts: 248 Deckhand
    Looks great Pete!.......one day we will get with you.....home slab leak right now dealing with, tough to get away now.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Senior Member Posts: 984 Officer
    Good deal! We caught a mess of silver trout and whiting there Saturday. Also broke off a cobia boat side. I was surprised to see the improvements.
  • FishesmanFishesman Senior Member Posts: 418 Deckhand
    What's your typical four rod set up Pete? Heavy rods to the outside using outrodders and two light rods in your prop wash? I rarely run more than two heavy rods, but I'm not using outrodders. It seems two light rods down the middle would tangle easily. I can't imagine running four rods solo. Lol
    Fishesman wrote: »
    What's your typical four rod set up Pete? Heavy rods to the outside using outrodders and two light rods in your prop wash? I rarely run more than two heavy rods, but I'm not using outrodders. It seems two light rods down the middle would tangle easily. I can't imagine running four rods solo. Lol

The other way .

Off the rear rod holders I pull my Grouper rods with diving plugs. In under 20' of water you don't need to run them too far back. They are bent butt 30# class rods with 50# braid line and a 6' leader. The bent butt rods have the tips lower to the water.

On the sides I have fully adjustable cast stainless steel rod holders. The lighter rods for Spanish, Kings, Jacks, etc go there. They are 9' downrigger rods with 20# mono line and smaller plugs that only go down about 5 feet or so. Those are run out a good bit farther than the deep rods, and in a sharp turn of the boat cross over the top of the deep line, but stay above and clear, and don't tangle.
    001.jpg 85.2K

• FishesmanFishesman Senior Member Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Gotcha! That makes sense. Thanks.
    The other way .

Off the rear rod holders I pull my Grouper rods with diving plugs. In under 20' of water you don't need to run them too far back. They are bent butt 30# class rods with 50# braid line and a 6' leader. The bent butt rods have the tips lower to the water.

On the sides I have fully adjustable cast stainless steel rod holders. The lighter rods for Spanish, Kings, Jacks, etc go there. They are 9' downrigger rods with 20# mono line and smaller plugs that only go down about 5 feet or so. Those are run out a good bit farther than the deep rods, and in a sharp turn of the boat cross over the top of the deep line, but stay above and clear, and don't tangle.
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,877 Moderator
    Nice trip Pete.
    "You'll get your weather"