Home Ask the Law!

east coast/west coast

the u of mthe u of m Posts: 48 Deckhand
where is the line for east coast and west coast is it right down the middle of the state?

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    In relation to what? There is no coast in the middle of the state, that would be central. The coast is along the shores
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I think it is the north border of Monroe County (on the east coast). the keys are considered the west, sort of.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    IS THIS IN REFERENCE TO SNOOK REGS?
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    surfman wrote: »
    I think it is the north border of Monroe County (on the east coast). the keys are considered the west, sort of.

The bridges of us1 are the dividing line of the Atlantic and Gulf
  • the u of mthe u of m Posts: 48 Deckhand
    IS THIS IN REFERENCE TO SNOOK REGS?
    yes it is
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    how do i bring a snook from the east coast back over to the west coast with out getting arrested. me and friends are planing another trip there and we each want to bring a limit of snook home.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • the u of mthe u of m Posts: 48 Deckhand
    do any of you law guys dare to answer this or do you know??
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    That is actually a pretty good question. Here are the applicable rules per the F.A.C.

68B-21.006 Bag and Possession Limits.
    (1) In the Atlantic Region, no person, firm or corporation shall kill or harvest more than one snook per day during the open season, nor possess more than one snook at any time during the open season.
    (2) In the Gulf Region, no person, firm, or corporation shall kill or harvest more than one snook per day during the open season, nor possess more than one snook at any time during the open season.
    (4) No person harvesting snook pursuant to subsection (1) shall possess or land such snook in the area specified in subsection (2).

Next, these terms are defined as follows:

“Atlantic Region” means all state and federal waters of the Atlantic Ocean north and east of the Dade-Monroe County line, and all inland waters of the counties encompassed by the St. Johns River Water Management District, and the South Florida Water Management District, except Charlotte County, Collier County, Glades County, Hendry County, Highlands County, Lee County, and Monroe County, but including all waters of Lake Okeechobee and the Kissimmee River.

“Gulf Region” means all state and federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico, the inland waters of Charlotte County, Collier County, Glades County, Hendry County, Highlands County, Lee County, Monroe County and all counties encompassed by the Southwest Florida Water Management District, the Suwannee River Water Management District, and the Northwest Florida Water Management District, and all waters of Everglades National Park, but excluding all waters of Lake Okeechobee and the Kissimmee River.

To me, this language is less than clear and one can argue about what exactly is covered by these definitions (ie. is it water only?) ....However, I think there is a good argument that the text of these rules (particularly (4) above) prohibits you from possessing a snook anywhere in the Gulf Region. If that is the FWC position that is pretty unfair b/c if you read or listened to all the comments during the recent closures and differences between east coast and west coast, there were a number of comments justifying the split coasts to the effect that if you want some snook to eat on the west coast you can simply drive over the east coast. I don't think they ever meant that you had to eat it over there. In addition, if you read the language from the most recent executive order ( http://myfwc.com/media/310637/EO_10_45_ClosureForSnookSept2.pdf ) it definitely links the prohibition on possession to where you caught it.

Regardless of all this, if you are coming back by boat with whole fish in the cooler, I think you are taking a risk of having to deal with a problem if you are stopped on the road...going over the causeway to Sanibel for example.