Home Conservation Forums

Fish heads as bait ?

larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,810 Moderator
When we clean our catch we save the heads and freeze them for bait or grind up for chum.
In this case is using frozen lane snapper heads for bottom fish offshore in federal waters legal??
larrywitt

Replies

• gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 663 Officer
    Im not a LEO but why wouldn't it be? As long as your not chumming a protected species you should be in the green. You should mix in some cheap cat food too.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Add sand to take some of the oils down deep
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    If you have Regulated Fish Carcasses on board that are under the legal size limit (or over the possession limit) you CAN be ticketed
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    A simular question was asked a while ago and the answer, as I remember it. is, no. You cannot use parts of game fish for bait. The gray area is what constitutes a prohibited fish, I've seen grunts butterflied and used as bait many a time.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,810 Moderator
    Well on page 13 Federal Regulations regulated reef fish cannot be used as bait. Looks like my frozen heads will end up in the chum mix.
    larrywitt
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Technically, they can't even be in your possession. Right?

Better hope they don't DNA test your chum!
    23895.gif