Crystal River Redfish Everywhere!

The Redfish are really schooled up right now. Had a blast catching them with Corey yesterday. First time I've ever got tired from catching redfish and left them biting. Hope their still there when I get to go again. We had a hard time catching alot at first being on the opposite side of the bar from the school, so we got snagged alot. There was so many that we still manged catching several on top of the rocks. We had fun watching Marrio and a few other boats hammer them 2, 3, and 4 at a time! They caught a ton of redfish! Once the school moved a little closer to us it was a 30" Red every cast! Caught a couple 21-22" reds early that we release so we spent all day struggling to find a keeper. Got 1 that was 26.99" and a 26" to come home with us. Biggest was 34" maybe I'll try some live bait next time, they seemed to eat anything we threw at them! Ran out of live shrimp so we used rotten frozen shrimp as back up and it didn't change anything. Had so much video to edit, I deleted alot but it's still long.

Go Pro Video "sorry it's extremely long"
https://youtu.be/JMWOWl5zxUI
c.jpg 100.7K
cc.jpg 93.1K
ccc.jpg 81.4K
red.jpg 94.5K

Replies

• k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Nice wish i lived closer maybe some day.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,787 Captain
    That boat in the background from 15min through the end sure looks nice!
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 642 Officer
    nick wrote: »
    That boat in the background from 15min through the end sure looks nice!

That dude was really hammering them! Wish I could go with him sometime lol
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Great report and video as always, Justin. Thanks
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    Looks like a scallop flotilla out there.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    Looks like a lot of sore arms! Glad to hear everyone is having so much fun out there!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 957 Officer
    awesome
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Hmm...and FWC has reduced the Redfish harvest limit from 2 to 1. Go figure.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    What were you fishing with: artificial lures or natural bait?
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Those are the kind of days that keep us going Back......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,014 Officer
    looks like fun! way to get out and get on em!:fishing
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    What were you fishing with: artificial lures or natural bait?

Started with live shrimp. Then used rotten ones I brought as back up that were a disgusting orange lol Marrio was I think using shrimp mostly and I heard paddle tails. For him that means doa gold ones. Then nick had an assortment of live baitfish and didn't get any small ones. Others got them on jigs and a yellow jig head and shrimp. Any lure or bait in the boat would've caught them.
  • SCOUT162SCOUT162 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    IM MID STATE, SMALL BOAT. HOW FAR OFFSHORE ARE YOU. THE WATER LOOKS PRETTY CALM AND SHALLOW. WOULD LIKE TO FISH THAT KIND OF WATER. WE HAVE STAINED WATER ON THE EAST COAST.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,444 AG
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Hmm...and FWC has reduced the Redfish harvest limit from 2 to 1. Go figure.

:banghead

Two counties guides whined and screwed about 300 miles of shoreline. Have you gotten that pontoon boat yet? :wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SCOUT162 wrote: »
    IM MID STATE, SMALL BOAT. HOW FAR OFFSHORE ARE YOU. THE WATER LOOKS PRETTY CALM AND SHALLOW. WOULD LIKE TO FISH THAT KIND OF WATER. WE HAVE STAINED WATER ON THE EAST COAST.

It's like a 3 mile ride from the channel not far at all. They school up this time of year and get over fished they usually move on in about a month.
  • one more driftone more drift Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Thanks for the video and report, always enjoy watching your fishing trip videos. Not trying to get an exact location and steal your spot, was thinking about going tomorrow, but are those power plant channel markers in the background on the video, and were the rocks your talking about spoil bank rocks, thanks. Have yet to catch a keeper redfish, would like to get one.
    Thanks for the video and report, always enjoy watching your fishing trip videos. Not trying to get an exact location and steal your spot, was thinking about going tomorrow, but are those power plant channel markers in the background on the video, and were the rocks your talking about spoil bank rocks, thanks. Have yet to catch a keeper redfish, would like to get one.

Yea it's just the spoil banks they are usually around for a month then move on. After the tournaments and rain this weekend they will most likely be gone soon
  • one more driftone more drift Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Thanks
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Great Stuff Justin
    Read for some of that myself
    :grin:beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    Ha, there are tournaments this weekend? That'll be funny to see the entire tournament sitting on that hole sore lipping a thousand redfish trying to see who can weigh the heaviest one.
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Ha, there are tournaments this weekend? That'll be funny to see the entire tournament sitting on that hole sore lipping a thousand redfish trying to see who can weigh the heaviest one.

I can't imagine. There's gonna be soooooo many people on top of each other