Kayak/ Wading Boots Suggestions Please

I’m interested in a pair of kayak, diving, or wading boots that will be good for a combination of paddling and stepping out to wade, then paddle, etc.

In addition I would like something that can double for wading rocky creeks here at home as well as wading when I make my visits to South Florida, FMB area. I wade some from the kayak and some simply along the shoreline and into the water.

I’ve looked online but there are so many choices it is confusing to say the least.

Any personal hands on experiences and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• webbwebb Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Basstar wrote: »
    I’m interested in a pair of kayak, diving, or wading boots that will be good for a combination of paddling and stepping out to wade, then paddle, etc.

In addition I would like something that can double for wading rocky creeks here at home as well as wading when I make my visits to South Florida, FMB area. I wade some from the kayak and some simply along the shoreline and into the water.

I’ve looked online but there are so many choices it is confusing to say the least.

Any personal hands on experiences and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i use hard sole dive booties 8" high that i got at the local dive shop work great in rocks, mud and they won't slide off
  • goneCoastalgoneCoastal Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Except for the winter time, around here I've always felt waders were over kill. I either go barefoot if I forget to pack my water shoes, or use a cheap set of those water shoes that have all the toe separations. Personally I feel the shoes that separate your toes give the best traction when wading in/around obstacles. Only down side I've experienced is sometimes it's tricky getting all your toes into the correct place!
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    Chest waders can be a killer in open water. If you fall in, the waders will hold you down as it fills up with water. I used to fly fish for trout in the Chattahoochee up in Georgia, which involves wading through shallow rivers to find rapids. Everyone other year someone drowns this way. Also, river rocks are smooth and covered in algae. Felt sole wading boots would be preferable in this environment as the felt grips to the rocks. However, they are delicate so, walking over coral rocks or oyster beds would destroy the soles for sure.

My suggestion, get a good pair of neoprene booties for kayaking & wading in Florida. Then get a good set of felt wading shoes and hip waders for up north. Wading through cold rivers can be hell on your legs after a while. Get thick rubber waders if the water is cold.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 517 Officer
    Thanks so much for the responses. BTW, I'm not interested in waders and my apologies if that's how my question read.

I am well supplied with cold weather gear down to sub zero and these will be used for warmer water type environments.

I'm really interested more in something like the neoprene boots or booties with a harder sole.

Webb, do you know the brand and model of diving booties you use and would you recommend those in particular?

Again thanks all.
  • krashkrash Posts: 656 Officer
    I use dive booties, ankle high.. and usually just purchase the ones they have on sale. They last me 4 or 5 years, also used when diving with my fins, although you don;t want to leave them in an enclosed area after use, if you ever played hockey or had a kid that does you'll know why.

Divers Direct, $25.00

If I wanted a better set I'd likely get the Flats wading high-tops form Bass Pro Shops, $29.99 on sale.

Great for the warm weather paddling and fishing, but neither will stop a singray barb.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    I found some river kayak shoes at NRS. They are great in the kayak and for wading. Not good in surf because the collect sand. The suez runs a little small in my opinion. Look at their website. I have used the same pair for years.
  • webbwebb Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Basstar wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the responses. BTW, I'm not interested in waders and my apologies if that's how my question read.

I am well supplied with cold weather gear down to sub zero and these will be used for warmer water type environments.

I'm really interested more in something like the neoprene boots or booties with a harder sole.

Webb, do you know the brand and model of diving booties you use and would you recommend those in particular?

Again thanks all.

Basstar I don't remember the brand. Try some and go from there.
  • saltlifedocsaltlifedoc Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    I like my xtratuf ankle boots and they're a bit more versatile than dive booties
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    Colombia Drainmakers, They are a sneaker with drain holes. Very comfortable with a full arch. You can wear out the door, to the store to pick up ice, then in the water and back out. West Marine has them, find the ones you like then try ebay for some savings.
    The best part is they wont make your feet feel soggy like a wetsuit booty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0fDdU1HbI
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Seasoft Stealth dive booties are what I'm wearing now. Very comfortable with excellent arch support and hard sole for protection against sharp things.