GPS Coordinates Way Off

taostaos Posts: 4 Greenhorn
I haven't really dug into it yet, but just wondering if anyone has had the same problem. When I manually enter a number into my new Garmin 7012, it's way off (as much as 16 miles in the opposite direction) compared to my Furuno GP32 and handheld, which both match up.

The GPS antennas are mounted real close to each other, so I'm not sure if that could be causing the problem, or if it could be something as simple as a setting. Both GPS antennas are mounted on the opposite side of the T-Top, about 20'' away from the VHF.

Thanks,
Tim

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    Are you using the correct data format for the coordinates? is the only thing i can think of that might put you off by 16 miles.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,610 Moderator
    FS Dan wrote: »
    Are you using the correct data format for the coordinates? is the only thing i can think of that might put you off by 16 miles.

FSD
    :signs
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,240 Officer
    Have you intialized your new Garmin?

The last time the Garmin was turned on (Before it came out of the box) might have been on the other side of the globe, so it needs to be "told" where it is now. Refer to the manual for this procedure.

http://what-when-how.com/gps/initializing-your-gps-receiver/

You should also check what map datum (Map parameters) the Garmin is set on. It should be on WGS 84, which is the standard datum that is most commonly used in the USA for boaters. Check your older Furuno and handheld and they are probably set on WGS 84.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System
    Giimoozaabi
  • taostaos Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. I'll check the format and if it's correct, I'll see about initializing it, thanks for the link. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 301 Deckhand
    GPS can be setup in degrees/minutes or degrees/minutes/seconds. You have to will have to change settings if both machines are not set the same. After entered then you can go back.
  • taostaos Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    That's exactly what the problem was swampmonster. Once I changed the format on the new Garmin, it worked like a champ and we had a great day of fishing! Thanks for everyone's help.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Glad it worked for you.