Home General Paddle Craft

stake out pole on paddle board

For those that SUP Fish, and use a stake out pole (regardless of the type), where/how do you typically store it while paddling so that it doesn't roll off and sink?

In my kayak, I use a sawed off golf club as a stake out pole. However on my paddle board, I will be using a **** Anchor.

Replies

• silentquestsilentquest Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I struggled with this same issue. What I ended up doing was ditching the stakeout pole and creating a soft anchor that I could quietly slip over the side if needed. I took one of those jetski anchors that you fill up with sand and instead of sand bought 2 soft dive weights and put them inside the yellow anchor part. I took a hole punch and punched a lot of little holes in the anchor part to let water drain out when I pick up the anchor. I used wire ties to permanently close the top of the anchor so the weights wouldn't fall out.
    This has worked great for me and better than the stakeout pole. Hope it helps.
  • krashkrash Posts: 763 Officer
    I use the same stakeout pole I've used for many years in the kayaks and canoes... its 5' 3/4" pvc with a t-handle on one end and the other cut at a 45 degree angle... DIY for about 10 bucks. When I made it I stuffed a couple wads of newspaper in each end and plugged/filled the ends with 5 minute epoxy... sealed in the pipe with air so it floats, so it won;t sink if it does fall over.
    I either just lay it on the deck between my feet forward, stick it in an unused rod holder which I have 4 on a cooler/drybox and seldom carry more than 2 rods.

If I'm going to areas that have hard bottom or its deeper than 5' I'll take my anchor instead, which is a 6# downrigger weight, it lays nicely in the sloted hand hold carry thingy and is easy to just slip or kick over the side, just remember to attach it first.

I'm I'm using my push-pole that day it also works well for staking out in soft bottom.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish