2016 Crystal River scalloping

Well, haven't had much to report recently but we did make our annual scallop trip to Crystal River. This year we had 3 boats and 18 people tag along.

Here are a few pics from the trip.....

94ecb3976a62d998274eeea1acaf4779.jpg

a7ace7a7502a4410f50fa9830113130f.jpg

c7a35ea16e4e5dfab95c841747acbbe3.jpg

1f52bc8085b1174292cc4ef51bbedcd7.jpg

3d0c0bc1e9339c45e875bdd7e7bbc358.jpg

31bf693a1fda528968587e6a8b9350de.jpg

4630e8f8e7ab5562cd36c4f36121e654.jpg

ad5055b6496fb8a7936d8a746f04b6ce.jpg

e0930172545a08e12cb47cf10544c7f7.jpg

e1d37223a1ff4c8344e9ac5cfbf1a4ea.jpg

07fcb958b62ac3f0eac4a6b18da9f059.jpg

I bought a Mantus anchor for this trip....really impressed with it. Sets better in the grass than anything I've tried yet. Held well in some pretty stout wind.

f64ac948c3c91b89ac4ed63fcd767ecd.jpg

We scalloped 3 days....leisurely, I'd say.....some folks stayed back at the pool. We ended up with around 25 gallons of scallops. They seemed quite large compared to last year.

The weather was near perfect....breezy and low humidity.

27d458e2e452a88677074d4b0770a2ba.jpg

It's gotten to be one of my favorite trips every year. We booked our rooms for 2017 when we left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Replies

• Mac53Mac53 Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Beautiful, friends, family, scallops and great weather! Can't think of a better equation. Mack
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,911 Moderator
    cool. I've never scalloped down there. need to do that one day.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Coral _HeadCoral _Head Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Those do look like some nice ones
    You shoulda been here yesterday
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    cool. I've never scalloped down there. need to do that one day.

It's a fun trip over there....still very much old Florida. Some good dives to eat at. We hit up a biker bar in the middle of east bumble....some of the best fried shrimp I've had out in years.

We stay at The Plantation every year. It's getting a bit overpriced for what it is, but really the only option if you don't want to pull the boat every night and don't want bed bugs.

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,128 Admiral
    That's a great trip! I'm glad everything came home intact! ;^)
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Great trip! Beck, do you have anyone who could give a current report from Crystal River. I was supposed to go next week for my 40th b-day. But after the storm, I am second guessing? Was also worried about flooding in the rental houses as most are one story.
    :fishing:grin
    crcattypc wrote: »
    Great trip! Beck, do you have anyone who could give a current report from Crystal River. I was supposed to go next week for my 40th b-day. But after the storm, I am second guessing? Was also worried about flooding in the rental houses as most are one story.

Happy birthday!

Well, we were there just a couple days before the hurricane and there were lots of scallops....we could have easily managed limits everyday had we been more ambitious. What the tidal surge does to scallops is an interesting topic. I'd think the visibility would have time to clear.

I spoke to some folks down there....one of our group has a mother in Inverness....obviously flooding was present.....6 manatees ended up in the golf course pond across from the plantation. Also, their pool was underwater but don't believe they had any guest rooms go under.

I'll try and see if any of them have been out scalloping or might be going before your trip. If I can get any info, I'll let you know asap.

Split Shot wrote: »
    That's a great trip! I'm glad everything came home intact! ;^)

Amen brother!

I did switch to a 4 blade prop which I love and let's me trim much higher.....great hole shot too.

Also, I stay away from Homosassa now....that place puts the hoodoo on my boat every time!!

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,128 Admiral
    I hear ya!

I would like to try a 4 blade and see how it would act on my rig.

Great pics btw!
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I hear ya!

I would like to try a 4 blade and see how it would act on my rig.

Great pics btw!

I emailed Powertech and told them what I was trying to accomplish. In my case, I wanted 400 more RPM...3 blade was at the bottom of my RPM range.... increased hole shot, stern lift and ability to plane at lower RPM....with my 3 blade, going thru the manatee zones at CR, I wasn't happy with the speed/plane ability with a fully loaded boat. Also, trying to ride the back of a wave thru the pass at PC, I wanted more too.

They recommended the Powertech OFS4 prop which I then ordered from Prop Gods. Surprisingly, despite my normal luck, they got it right on the first attempt.

I can tell a huge difference. With 6 people, 100qt cooler slammed full, full tank and full live well, it jumps on plane as it were empty. Also, it cruises at a much lower speed/RPM without constantly wanting to drop off plane. Its been on a little over a year now. Wish I had done it when the boat was new!

One more thing....I cant speak highly enough of Powertech...made in Louisiana....I emailed them, the responded quickly, shipped quickly, and followed up to make sure I was happy with the new prop. Great service and very knowledgeable
    crcattypc wrote: »

crcattypc, ok....as I mentioned, one lady in our group is from Inverness. I got her to put in a call to her brother that still lives there and he has a buddy that is a scallop guide. He checked with him and said that the scalloping doesn't seem to have been negatively affected. Take it for what its worth....3rd hand report....but better than nothing I suppose! Haha!

Hell, its a fun trip even when there aren't lots of scallops around. If you've never been over there, I'd give it a shot.

I might add....In the 5 years we've been going, I've never seen a flounder so I left the pole spear at home this year. Of course, I saw several large doormats laying around. I'd love to figure them out down there and grab a few....just don't know where they are.

If you need a number, Ill be glad to shoot you one....not that hard to find the fleet though....just don't leave the channel until the last marker....lots of shifting oyster beds....and watch the manatee zones. That was all new to me the first time I went.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,708 Captain
    Looks like a really fun trip, and as was already mentioned, great to get home with the lower unit intact. :grin Fun with friends & family is the high priority!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,165 Officer
    Looks like a lot of fun was had. Great pics...................and a pretty good looking top on that boat, BTW. :)

Livin' the Dream !
    LilOrange wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fun was had. Great pics...................and a pretty good looking top on that boat, BTW. :)

Thanks....I'm very pleased with the way the Hard top turned out....much cooler than my canvas top too....Ive been wanting to build another. Must be time for a new boat!