Home Politics

Mississippi universities removing state flag due to confederate connection

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
Will

Never

Rise

Again

Mississippi State University and the Mississippi University for Women have joined five other Mississippi public universities in ceasing to fly the state flag.

Mississippi University for Women President Jim Borsig says his school removed the only pole flying Mississippi's state flag in July as part of a construction project......

several of Mississippi's public universities have taken steps to distance themselves from Confederate symbols. Last fall two universities, Ole Miss and the University of Southern Mississippi, removed the state flag from their campuses. Also, Ole Miss Athletic Director Ross Bjork confirmed recently in a bid to make the campus's game day experience more welcoming and "inclusive" that the university's marching band would no longer play "Dixie."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2016/08/30/report-state-flag-removed-mississippi-state-campus/89576800/

Replies

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    The U.S. flag is next!
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Mississippi State University recently joined six other universities in the Magnolia State by removing the state flag, which contains the controversial Confederate battle emblem.

According to The Reflector, university president Mark Keenum made the decision in response to requests from the deans of both the College of Veterinary Medicine and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, who had asked him to replace the state flag with a national flag, as had been done previously on the school’s drill field.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8076

All gone
    Cagey wrote: »
    The U.S. flag is next!

No
    It won't be, but the (failed) confederacy symbol will only adorn back rooms and museums
    frank wrote: »
    No It won't be,

I respect you have an opinion, but I don't think you speak for the 40 plus million black people and other minorities in this country. They seem to have a different opinion and are in fact coming after the flag of the USA.

The much loved Confederate flag
    will only adorn back rooms and museums

In your dreams maybe! Does this look like a backroom or museum to you?

pro-confederate-flag-suppor-ts600.jpg

confederate-flag-supporters-ts600.jpg

480383152.jpg

Black%2BYouth%2BWith%2BT%2BShirt.PNG

Screen-Shot-2015-07-27-at-1.10.17-PM-463x620.png

Screen-Shot-2015-07-27-at-1.17.08-PM-620x456.png

Screen-Shot-2015-07-27-at-1.21.19-PM-620x464.png

Now he gets it:

Screen-Shot-2015-07-27-at-1.26.09-PM-616x620.png

Offense is contrived and manufactured. People with brains are not fooled into manufactured offense.

In truth, people who love their Southern heritage are not giving it up just because some other people don't like it.
    I stand corrected
    back rooms, museums, and back waters
    USA flag is next on their list:

flag.jpg

erica-walker2.jpg

eric-sheppard11.jpg

Who do you have to thank for this? Godless, guilt-ridden white liberals mostly:

flag1.jpg
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,123 Admiral
    Who do you have to thank for this?

Who is the founding fathers and what is the first amendment for $100 Alex.

Not that I agree with what they are doing
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    The much loved Confederate flag

In your dreams maybe! Does this look like a backroom or museum to you?

pro-confederate-flag-suppor-ts600.jpg

Looks like a Mensa meeting, right?
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    As far as the American flag goes, I am perplexed why people would desecrate the very object that allows them to do so?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    mikev wrote: »
    As far as the American flag goes, I am perplexed why people would desecrate the very object that allows them to do so?

If freedoms are never tested, are they really freedoms?
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Looks like a Mensa meeting, right?

I love how you only reply to that pic. Any reply for pics in post #7?
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    If freedoms are never tested, are they really freedoms?

In some countries they are never tested. Because there aren't many to be had.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."

Simple. History is behind this situation which I pointed out in another thread:

"The flag of the United States of America flew over a slave nation for nearly 100 years: 1776 to 1865.

And, the flag of the United States of America flew over a nation who REFUSED to grant black people their civil rights even though the 15th amendment gave them that right back in 1870, the white yankees of the Northeastern USA REFUSED to treat black people as their equals for yet another 100 years and eventually had to be forced to allow black people at the table adding up to nearly 200 years of black oppression and suppression until the civil rights act of 1964 and the voting rights act was passed into law in 1965.

Nearly 200 years of northern white people committing willful and intentional black suppression and black oppression goes along with all white people who fly the flag of the United States of America. Flying that flag means you accept the burden of historical oppression and suppression that goes with that flag.

Its history of hate belongs to the bearer of that flag.

That makes USA flag waving white Americans racists too and with a much longer proven history to back it up!"

And you wonder why today growing numbers of black people and other minorities are desecrating the flag of the USA today? No surprise to me.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Cultural Marxism is alive and well not only in Mississippi but on this FS board. Losers
    Deo Vindice
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    Losers

:rotflmao:rotflmao
    Vote for the other candidate
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    I think it's great that they dishonor the flag........makes me feel like they are not part of my country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    roto7777 wrote: »
    I think it's great that they dishonor the flag........makes me feel like they are not part of my country.

That's why they still fly it on their pickups.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    I wouldn't hold my breath for 'ole Miss Rebels to follow suit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

you won't have to

they took it down in October of 2015:

The Mississippi flag was taken down at the state’s public university Monday morning, after student leaders, faculty and staff called for its removal because of its prominent Confederate emblem.

It was a dramatic change for a university long proud of its southern traditions and ties to the Confederacy, a school that closed down entirely during the Civil War when nearly all of its students enlisted, and one that was at the center of a seminal moment in the civil rights movement.

It’s part of a debate playing out across the South over the Confederate symbols that for some represent Southern heritage but for others are just shorthand for slave ownership and racism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/10/26/ole-miss-takes-down-its-state-flag-with-confederate-emblem/
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer

They just took all versions of Dixie, and From Dixie with Love off the bands play list
    The name, not the flag.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    I don't get it, it is the state flag. If university folks and students do not like the state flag, propose something else. Most flags are stupid anyway. But a state university needs to display the state flag.
  • BlovigatorBlovigator Posts: 185 Deckhand
    That flag doesn't allow me to do anything, symbols and idols are for small minds. The only thing worth dying for is the principals and ideals that the country was founded on. You die for a piece of cloth, I'll stick to the actual thing that matters. What someone does to that flag has zero impact on my life, but the guy or gal that wants to restrict the desicrators right to be an ***, that guy, scares me because they are simpletons. Simpletons are generally stupid but with power they are dangerous.
  • NOLE66NOLE66 Posts: 1,630 Officer
    Will

Never

Rise

Again

Mississippi State University and the Mississippi University for Women have joined five other Mississippi public universities in ceasing to fly the state flag.

Mississippi University for Women President Jim Borsig says his school removed the only pole flying Mississippi's state flag in July as part of a construction project......

several of Mississippi's public universities have taken steps to distance themselves from Confederate symbols. Last fall two universities, Ole Miss and the University of Southern Mississippi, removed the state flag from their campuses. Also, Ole Miss Athletic Director Ross Bjork confirmed recently in a bid to make the campus's game day experience more welcoming and "inclusive" that the university's marching band would no longer play "Dixie."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2016/08/30/report-state-flag-removed-mississippi-state-campus/89576800/

The 'tolerant' left gets its way once agsin by banning historical symbols, censorship of books and destrunction of historical artifacts. Left=ISIS
    Libs yall are doing exactly what you preach against, but anyone with half a brain knows that the message is full of ****. Libs would like nothing better than to make us all dependent and destroy our history. Scary bunch of folks following that criminal they're trying to put in the Whitehouse. Shameful what they are doing.
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    Ole Miss"s mascot is now a black bear, Col Reb was put out to pasture, the students wanted Admiral Ackbar as their mascot, as much in protest as anything, the admin would not allow the good Admiral on the ballot. The Ole Miss Rebels will lose the Rebels designation in the next 10 years.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    NOLE66 wrote: »
    The 'tolerant' left gets its way once agsin by banning historical symbols, censorship of books and destrunction of historical artifacts. Left=ISIS
    Libs yall are doing exactly what you preach against, but anyone with half a brain knows that the message is full of ****. Libs would like nothing better than to make us all dependent and destroy our history. Scary bunch of folks following that criminal they're trying to put in the Whitehouse. Shameful what they are doing.

Cultural Marxism
    Deo Vindice
    One thing that gives me a smirky smile is this type of thing is just another passing fad that will fade away. One fine day in the future things could change yet again, and some living today might be amazed that future generations revive their love for their Southern heritage and display it proudly.

Another thing that is encouraging to know today is that the love of Southern culture is now a worldwide phenomenon. The Confederate flag is now flown in virtually all nations of the world, it has spread to all 50 states here in America.

That flag is now a worldwide symbol of anti-establishment and anti-tyranny of evil rulers.

This country was founded upon revolution. And one day this country may yet again have to be remade through revolution. But, the next time such a thing happens on this soil, those revolting against the tyranny will not just come from the Southern states, it will come from ALL 50 states in the future and maybe even from beyond such borders. And you can bet this flag will be flown as a symbol of that outrage for the tyranny they seek to rid themselves of.

If the South is to rise again, it will be far wider than the geographical limitations of the past.

Let me divert to another symbol called the swastica. Instantly many who are programmed to hate it will instantly denounce the symbol as a symbol of hate because of the **** 3rd Reich's use of it. But in reality that symbol has a known 12,000 year history:

"For the Hindus and Buddhists in India and other Asian countries, the swastika was an important symbol for many thousands of years and, to this day, the symbol can still be seen in abundance - on temples, buses, taxis, and on the cover of books. It was also used in Ancient Greece and can be found in the remains of the ancient city of Troy, which existed 4,000 years ago. The ancient Druids and the Celts also used the symbol, reflected in many artefacts that have been discovered. It was used by Nordic tribes and even early Christians used the Swastika as one of their symbols, including the Teutonic Knights, a German medieval military order, which became a purely religious Catholic Order.

The word ‘swastika’ is a Sanskrit word (‘svasktika’) meaning ‘It is’, ‘Well Being’, ‘Good Existence, and ‘Good Luck’. However, it is also known by different names in different countries - like ‘Wan’ in China, ‘Manji’ in Japan, ‘Fylfot’ in England, ‘Hakenkreuz’ in Germany and ‘Tetraskelion’ or ‘Tetragammadion’ in Greece."

So let me ask you, just because some **** used this ancient symbol for their evil, does this mean that now NO ONE on this planet should use it or display it just because a limited number of humans are programmed to hate it? Should their hate for this symbol over rule and over write a 12,000 year old history and prevent others from using it, those who think of it as having a different meaning to the haters of it who only think one meaning should be applied to it?

The answer is quite simply no. For the people who are programmed to hate it, keep on hating it, but your hate for that symbol should NOT control everyone in the world who chooses to use the symbol for OTHER reasons than why some would hate it. To the haters mind your own dam business and leave others alone who could not care less what your problem is. Keep your hate to yourself!

And we have this same issue with the flags and heritage of the Confederate States of America. Just because some people choose to hate those symbols does not mean everyone should hate them too. That is not going to happen and is completely unrealistic of the haters to even expect this.

So this is where we are today. Divided. We have the haters of a symbol trying to control others who do not hate those symbols but actually have a historic and family connection to a part of the South they dearly love, those who can separate the symbols from the evil, have every right to keep and maintain that reverence for their past and NO ONE has the right to take that away from them and to do so is tyranny itself unleashed. Yes I said the haters are indeed tyrants.

What the haters are doing by trying to force their hate for a symbol upon others is causing many to now despise them- the haters- rather than despise a deeply held and cherished affection for Southern culture and heritage.

And much to the dismay of the symbol haters, they are temporarily winning little battles like this one, but they can not win the war for the minds of Southerners. Not going to happen. Not now. Not ever. We will continue to pass down our inherited heritage to future generations who will in fact carry it long into the future after all of us are long since dead and gone.

And one day, under different circumstances in the future, I have hope that Southern heritage will live on and the haters will diminish over time and a new day will dawn where the sun rises upon a new South now all over the country and all over the world. The dream of Dixie will live on and rightly so, for there was some good ideas behind the South even if our ancestors made the mistake of trying to keep slavery, we of today and those of tomorrow can not and will not allow that mistake to dismiss the entire Confederacy which is what the haters want- an elimination of a past evil that no longer exists- yet they want to eliminate all of the Confederacy and what it stood for and against that goes beyond the one issue of slavery. Humans can not allow one evil to dismiss a far greater good, but that is what the haters are trying to do. They want Southerners to hate their own past like they do, and when they fail, the haters go ballistic.

So let some PC haters of today show their **** to everyone by trying to erase history and control others with their hate. All they are doing is creating the backlash effect that will cause that which they hate to spring forth anew in other countless places and in other countless ways in people all over the country and all over the world.

What we really need to be doing is shutting down the haters and their hate. That is what needs to go away.

I think this morning I have had too much coffee!

But I refuse to let the haters sully my heritage with their hatred for it. Today we just laugh at them. We do not care what the haters think. And we will not let them diminish our cherished heritage in our people. Not going to happen no matter what they say or what they do to try and hurt us with their hate. The dream of Dixie will live on! Charge! And open fire on the haters and cultural marxists! :machinegun

That's my caffeine influenced .02 cents on this issue...
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    NOLE66 wrote: »

There is some truth to that. When I was a child my school made me Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, now when my daughters went to school the book was banned, I bought each of them a copy of both and had them read it at home. Got lots of interesting dinner conversations about how the world has changed.

When they got older bought them a great Plutarch Socrates book also deemed unacceptable at some places, just crazy.

Edit - Some public libraries do not have some books deemed to be morally or racially questionable, total ****, its a library.