Home Politics

Nation Destroyer George Soros Upseats Fla. State Attorney Jeff Ashton!

CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
Ayala upsets Jeff Ashton for State Attorney

"I'm just grateful," Ayala said on the phone Tuesday night from her victory party at Sugarcanes Rum Bar and Lounge on International Drive. "I'm excited. This is what this whole thing and the process was about. ... Tonight is a celebration of a higher level of integrity for the State Attorney's Office."

What had initially been a sleepy race favoring Ashton took a turn after a Washington, D.C.-based political action committee poured $975,000 into Ayala's campaign in August. Ashton, 58, raised $112,445 for his bid, according to Florida Department of State records.

Ayala's money, linked to billionaire liberal backer George Soros, paid for TV ads and mailers accusing Ashton of enacting racially disparate policies—a claim Ashton says is not true. Ayala said she did not solicit the money but welcome anyone who believed in improving the criminal justice system.

Ayala, 41, clinched the position with 56.9 percent of the vote in Orange and Osceola counties compared to Ashton's 43.1 percent, according to Florida Division of Elections results.

"The voters decided today that the price of the State Attorney's seat is $1.4 million in lies," Ashton said in a statement, providing his own estimate of the donation. "I'm deeply disappointed in this result, but I stand by the good work of my office and the folks who work there."

Replies