How's it going folks?

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
I've been slacking a bit; I've read all the reports and followed the EKFT on Facebook, but I feel like I haven't really been contributing much to this sub-forum in a while.
Now that the EKFT excitement is dying down, how is everyone doing? I know summer is a slower time of the year for fishing, but like any day on the water it has it's highs and lows.
Is everyone gearing up for Snook Season?
Tell me what you've got your sights set on now.

Also, if anyone has any requests on kayak-related-content you would like to see on our subforum, please let me know.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator,
Chris
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 486 Deckhand
    It's not kayak related but they still can't get the tide tables right even though it says August now the tide table is for April. Kind of pathetic and don't know how to contact anyone else. They didn't even do anything for the entire month of July. I'm not a computer guy but you would think somebody that was could make the change be automatic.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Android77 wrote: »
    It's not kayak related but they still can't get the tide tables right even though it says August now the tide table is for April. Kind of pathetic and don't know how to contact anyone else. They didn't even do anything for the entire month of July. I'm not a computer guy but you would think somebody that was could make the change be automatic.
    Yeah, I know the frustration. I think it is a 3rd party who updates that (and a few other) page(s) and they're not very diligent about it. I will report it again.
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    Tides are relevant to where you are or will be.... I use this one "Tides" and find it pretty good for the areas I fish. Just book mark it and be done.
    Also wind also affect's actual tide levels, especially if you fish inshore.

Jjc, maybe add a sticky post in the sub-forum to it...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,807 Captain
    If you check the weather with windfinder, they also have a tab for the tides.
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 554 Officer
    Hi Chris. Good to hear from you. Getting ready to hit the offshore fishing grounds after the holiday weekend with the guys from the SFKFC. I'll give you a shout.

Dave
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Can we get rid of the picture of the half dead sailfish across the guys lap? It really sets a bad example.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
    Whelan wrote: »
    Can we get rid of the picture of the half dead sailfish across the guys lap? It really sets a bad example.
    I agree, but which page? give me a link please. I lobbied the other mods to remove it from the subform's launch page (http://www.floridasportsman.com/paddlecraft) and it was done.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Thanks Chris - Looks like it's gone.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 504 Officer
    Was this forum always kind of slow or was there a big fall out or something. For such a world class fishing destination State, and the popularity of kayaking, it just doesn't seem to add up. I used to be involved with a Forum called NCKA (Northern California Kayak Anglers) and it was pretty huge for being just half the state. I know Texas has a big one as well. I generally post to the Keys section because it is a bit more relevant, and then throw a few things here for more general stuff. It would be nice if it were more active.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    All the forums have slowed way down... MPO its a few things, lots of forums competing for traffic, people especially younger have bought fully into the smart-phone world with apps for everything and the simple ease of more broadcast style post and forget methods in social media using FB, InstaGram, Twitter, Vines, SnapChat, no time to log on and do interactive posting.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • ovidovid Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Hi Chris,
    I would enjoy reading articles about juvenile tarpon. Y'know, backwater places, ditches etc.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,807 Captain
    krash wrote: »
    All the forums have slowed way down... MPO its a few things, lots of forums competing for traffic, people especially younger have bought fully into the smart-phone world with apps for everything and the simple ease of more broadcast style post and forget methods in social media using FB, InstaGram, Twitter, Vines, SnapChat, no time to log on and do interactive posting.

Agree, not even a single blurb from the winners of the extreme kayak fishing tournament on here....all on other forms of media.
    ovid wrote: »
    Hi Chris,
    I would enjoy reading articles about juvenile tarpon. Y'know, backwater places, ditches etc.

Spend a night just doing recon with a powerful flashlight/headlamp. Hit places you think there would be Tarpon. Scan the water with the light. Look for the red glowing eyes swimming around. Generally the light spooks them so kind of a write off for that night. Then, when you have your spots where you know where they are, go back the next night and start throwing bait at them. Do it in complete darkness and stealthy. If you are not into night fishing, then, after the recon night, go back to those areas that were holding fish and work adjacent areas that have are heavily concealed. Most fish don't like hanging out in bright daylight. If no cover, then depth. You just have to find their day time hiding spots. If slack water, early morning and look for rolling heads as they Gulp air. Low oxygen levels in back areas with not a lot of current. From there it is just trial and error until you find the sweet spot or time, current, bait, presentation,etc. Just like inshore fishing, they follow patterns. Figure out the pattern and you are golden, not just once, but any time you want.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    Agree, not even a single blurb from the winners of the extreme kayak fishing tournament on here....all on other forms of media.

Yea, I thought that was odd as well. There was one post about it a few days before the Tournament and then nothing. Even the Keys section is kind of lackluster, and that is about as "world renown" as you can get. Pretty much a dozen or so regular posters, and then a uptick during tourist season or when the Dolphin are around, but nothing that you would think as it is pretty much the only up to date resource available. There's a hint of "pissing contests" and "locals only mentality", which I imagine have turned off a few people from regularly posting. Nothing compared to the "General Fishing" section. That forum is a huge turn-off. It is the most active, but there are a hand full of guys that really ruin it. It's almost embarrassing. I don't really follow any other social media except for Youtube so that may be why I never figured out the down swing.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 353 Deckhand
    There's a hint of "pissing contests" and "locals only mentality", which I imagine have turned off a few people from regularly posting. Nothing compared to the "General Fishing" section. That forum is a huge turn-off. It is the most active, but there are a hand full of guys that really ruin it. It's almost embarrassing.
    It IS embarassing. Scores of people were attacked and run off after posting ONCE. And, it's not even as bad as it used to be, just adding up to being more tiresome. I'm a regular lurker, but not poster, it's not worth the aggravation.

Of all the subforums here, this one is the best IMO.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    This forum was completely dead when I first got here. (As in 1 post per month) We kind of revived it by posting weekly fishing meetups at Dania. Then we kind of over did it and a ton of guys were showing up turning every meetup into a teaching class. Kind of turned off many regulars and we stopped posting meetup details and just fished with our buddies. That was the start of the decline again. Then FS revamped the format of the forum for more ad space, so you have to go through multiple pages of ads to get to each subforum, making it hard to use, especially on a phone. That was the death kneel. You guys kind of revived it for a while, but facebook is so much easier to use as a medium, especially on a phone. If we want to revive this, we need to start posting fishing meetups again.
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 379 Deckhand
    How about making a mobile app? It would be easier to upload pictures since a lot of people take pictures with their phones.

I also think the meet ups are a good idea. I used to live in Lakeland and was very active in the West Central section (before I started yak fishing) and the guys in the DWC (deep west central) would meet up at a local establishment and put together tournaments and fishing trips. I'm not sure if they still do that, but I think they don't.

Just my .02
    Mike
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
    Yeah, the mobile app won't happen, but I am listening to any and all suggestions. Thanks guys.
    In fishing terms:

Action breeds action. Need to get more activity. Start throwing some topics out and get some action going. A lot of lurkers I bet. Just need to get one post out of them, and then that will grow. There are tons of variables to fishing, and so many new to kayak fishing needing help, virtually any topic will get some response and capture an audience. Everybody has experiences that can help others. Majority of people won't start a topic but will participate once it has been started. Once you start a frenzy, it attracts and grow.

Vary your offering. Reaction bites: Paddle versus peddle, Spinner vs. Baitcaster, live bait vs. artificial. Good for the reaction bite. Soft topics: Kayak reviews, DYI, How-to's, Favorite.... Good all around topics that cover a wide variety of participants. Click Bait: Women who kayak fish (pictures even better), Gossip, Flaming posts, Religion, Politics. These will get the most posts but are also needed to be controlled the most so it doesn't turn the forum into a ****** bag posters only participating.

Just ask. Tell people to post/participate more. Were kayak fisherman. Were easy going and passion about what we do. Tell those Facebook people to join. Not everybody is into social media. When you can't fish, who doesn't like doing the second best thing which is talking/reading about kayak fishing.

You can't do sub-forums but create posts that are organic like the existing "Worst Offshore Experience" topic. Introduce yourself. Pics of your ride. Quick pic (just post a photo of what you caught and what region) no report necessary. Gets people involved who aren't inclined to get in much detail.

If you can just change/nurture the culture to match the topic, it would grow on its own.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Just go back to where we can post pictures right from our phones. Don't understand why we need to put them somewhere first and then post them. Probably has do do with not wanting to spend any money on servers that can handle the traffic.